The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

Hi Saturnus

I just ripped the top cover of my Boominator to give it a quick service check before the autumn season of Gymnasie parties begin. You earlier stated that it would be a good idea to "dampen" the piezos by gluing them or something along those lines? What exactly should I do to minimize the scratching noise I get above 75% volume using my Lepai T2020 amp?

Hello Folks

For some time I have followed the correspondance on this subject and I have finally decided to build my own ”Boominator”. Before I can begin I have a few questions about which items I need to buy.

I have purchased an AMP9 Bsic and have ordered 4 x P-Audio SN2-10MB woofers
I also need 4 x P-Audio PHT407N tweeters?

What else do I need?

Thanks.

Hello Folks

For some time I have followed the correspondance on this subject and I have finally decided to build my own ”Boominator”. Before I can begin I have a few questions about which items I need to buy.

I have purchased an AMP9 Bsic and have ordered 4 x P-Audio SN2-10MB woofers
I also need 4 x P-Audio PHT407N tweeters?

What else do I need?

Thanks.

Ambitious going for a signature build as your first boominator build.. :)

You'll need batteries 2 x 12v in serial for max output, a heatsink and casing for the amp, wires and a miniDSP or other active or passive filtering.. Tweeters too ofc..

How come you're not just building the standard boominator as your first build and learn from it? You can build an entire standard boominator with all materials etc etc for the price of just those 4 woofers.. I think its cool you wanna build the best, the cost is just quite a LOT more and its somewhat a more complex build :)

Hi,

I am planning on building my own Boominator-inspired soundsystem. I am currently focusing on the woofer issue. My plan is to stick to the original version of the Boominator.

I live in France and I have difficulties finding a retailer that has P.Audio HP-10W. I have 3 questions :

1) Does anyone know a good french retailer that sells HP-10W ?

2) Is the Eminence Delta 10 a good alternative to the HP-10W ? In terms of power consumption / efficency ? I can get Delta10 for 50 Euros (+free shipping) is it worth the price difference ?

3) What about the products by CPA on Conrad (CPA 10-100 & PA 10) : http://www1.produktinfo.conrad.com/...999/300866-da-01-en-PA_Lautsprecher_PA_10.pdf ?

I would like to find the perfect alternative to the HP-10W. I can handle a lit bit more of power consumption if the sensitivity/freq. range are at least equal to the HP-10W's.

Thank you for reading

Hi,

I am planning on building my own Boominator-inspired soundsystem. I am currently focusing on the woofer issue. My plan is to stick to the original version of the Boominator.

I live in France and I have difficulties finding a retailer that has P.Audio HP-10W. I have 3 questions :

2) Is the Eminence Delta 10 a good alternative to the HP-10W ? In terms of power consumption / efficency ? I can get Delta10 for 50 Euros (+free shipping) is it worth the price difference ?

3) What about the products by CPA on Conrad (CPA 10-100 & PA 10) : http://www1.produktinfo.conrad.com/...999/300866-da-01-en-PA_Lautsprecher_PA_10.pdf ?

I would like to find the perfect alternative to the HP-10W. I can handle a lit bit more of power consumption if the sensitivity/freq. range are at least equal to the HP-10W's.

Thank you for reading

The only alternative Saturnus really recommends is the Goldwood GW1058.

Its the amp that consumes power, not the speaker :)

It seems to be an amp specific problem for the Lepai amp at around 75-80% of volume bass starts to disappear and treble gets nasty. Nothing you can do about that except for changing amp.

But it is a good idea to dampen the back side of the piezos.

Thank you - I simply put glue on the backside of the piezo or? And I really want the AMP6B, but Jan is extremely slow to get back to me. He even owes me 700 DKK for a Amp9 I sent back which I still haven't seen one tiny coin of.

Thank you for reading

On paper the CPA10-100 simulates practically identical to the HP10W, so it might be a real alternative. I would however like some response graph measurements and mechanical drawings. I also would like to hear it too.

From what little information is available though it's obvious that it's not as deep and so steps have to be made to ensure it can be glued to the centerbrace.

Last edited:
Take a look here AVLS : Audio-Vidéo-Light-Service : vente et location de matériel audio, vidéo, éclairage, sonorisation à prix discount sur Paris

Hi,

Thank you for reading

The Delta 10 has net weight of 10.8 lbs., 4.9 kg. That isn't really suitable for a portable boombox imo.
As Phaedras said, the driver that Saturnus recommend instead of the HP10W is the Goldwood GW1058.
If you can afford it, then there is also the http://www.eminence.com/pdf/Basslite_S2010.pdf you can find those for around 61 EUR.

The Delta 10 has net weight of 10.8 lbs., 4.9 kg. That isn't really suitable for a portable boombox imo.
As Phaedras said, the driver that Saturnus recommend instead of the HP10W is the Goldwood GW1058.
If you can afford it, then there is also the http://www.eminence.com/pdf/Basslite_S2010.pdf you can find those for around 61 EUR.

And for completeness, there's the really power-efficient P-Audio SN-10MB.

(These are then all the drivers greenlighted so far, right?)

Hi!
I want to build my first mini boominator.
Speakers: Sony XS-F1325
2 X 50Watt Class D Audio Amplifier Board - TDA7492
Two 12V 7AH batteries
Is it OK?
And what charger I need,to charge both batteries in one time?

Erm, have you even read this thread at all?

With all due respect, you need to read this thread and gain some knowledge. Atleast, understand that this thread is about Saturnus' design and not how to just build a random boombox with car speakers :)

Read the thread and return when you have a bit more insight on the design!

Erm, have you even read this thread at all?

With all due respect, you need to read this thread and gain some knowledge. Atleast, understand that this thread is about Saturnus' design and not how to just build a random boombox with car speakers :)

Read the thread and return when you have a bit more insight on the design!

Sorry,I sit there from mobile phone:(

On paper the CPA10-100 simulates practically identical to the HP10W, so it might be a real alternative. I would however like some response graph measurements and mechanical drawings. I also would like to hear it too.

From what little information is available though it's obvious that it's not as deep and so steps have to be made to ensure it can be glued to the centerbrace.

If we cannot find an frequency response curve i could buy one and measure the frequency response at my work. The driver itself is cheap.

Sorry,I sit there from mobile phone:(

OK so what the Boominator is is something specific :):

- 10" bass drivers in a bipole configuration, meaning that there are drivers on the front and back (and right and left). Much more output that way - which saves power.
- The cabinet is designed for a bass response only down to 100Hz
- Dedicated tweeters to match
- High sensitivity (to save power)

Car audio speakers will not really work well here - most probably not.

Read the thread everyone! It's a goldmine of information. My summary here is brief to the point of being incorrect.

Last edited:
My Boominator is setup as follows:
Clip+>pot>Digizoid Zo>2*Sure TA2024>4ohm HP-10w>piezos
My problem is that the Zo on/off gives a massive on/off pop that you can only avoid by switching the amps on/off first.
Is there any way around this?
Also you can run the Clip+ or the Zo from the batteries via usb outlets,but not both at same time.
thanks
Paul