The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

Yes. With the following changes:

- Port needs to be bigger. Still 120mm overall length but now 40mm high with 20mm radius rounding in both ends (lengthwise). And it's only 24mm deep instead of 36mm again with a light max 3mm rounding in both ends (depthwise). So that's actually easier to build.

What do you mean by 24mm deep ? Do you mean you only have to put just 1 x 12mm plywood glued to the internal compartment instead of the 2 x 12mm with the HP10W driver ?

- Drivers needs to be connected via a sturdy plastic tube that has the inner diameter of the outer diameter of the magnets, 54mm IIRC. This is glued to both drivers with 2 component or other really strong glue like plastic metal. And also glued to the center brace.

Is this because the driver is shorter so it won't be possible with the boominator design for them to meet magnet to magnet. I mean is this an work around for the magnet to magnet thing ? Do i understand it correct that the tube will go thru an center hole in the center brace ? Does the tube has to be of some specific kind ? If so what kind ? Do you have a pic or a link ? I have tried to draw how i read your description. Sorry but i understand it better when i draw it to make sure i have undersood it correct.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

- You need a filter. Several options here with pure passive, passive and passive level combined, active, or digital filter. Name your preference.

I would go for an Passive filter if it is going to be this dessign unless it is not good. It is just to keep it simple. What Capacitors and resistors do you recommend for those drivers ?

Yes, just one 12mm on the inside making it 24mm deep.

Search you local hardware store for a pvc tube that fits.

You need a 2nd order Linkwitz-Riley high-pass at 2000Hz and a 2nd order Butterworth low-pass at 1400Hz. Which together with the actual frequency response of the drivers gives an acoustic 3rd/6th order Bessel filter at 1800Hz.

Remember to invert the tweeters and dampen them by 3dB with a series resistor.

Last edited:
Here's a simple and fast drawing of how it should be connected. Please note that I made a mistake. The plus on the tweeters should be connected to minus on the amp, not the plus on the amp as I have drawn here.

Attachments

• filter.JPG
    filter.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 1,099
Here's a simple and fast drawing of how it should be connected. Please note that I made a mistake. The plus on the tweeters should be connected to minus on the amp, not the plus on the amp as I have drawn here.

Cool thanks now to the hunt for cheap drivers which from the start they are not :(

I found this place Eminence BASSLITE S2010 8ohm 10 NEO 150watt Bass Guitar Speaker : Lean Business, Oustanding Audio, Bass Guitar Speakers, Celestion Guitar Speakers, Guitar Amps, Tayden Guitar Speakers, Pro PA Speakers, Celstion spares, Celstion Vintage 30 and more! and they have them in stock and it runs up to a total price of 2450DKK including vat and shipping which is roughly 70% more expensive than HP10W ouch....

The PHT407N is another issue. It's not to be found in any shop. Where i found it it's not in stock. The price is somehow around 1100DKK for all four of them with shipping and vat.

Total price for the Eminence and the P.Audio is around 3500DKK phew....

The question is besides the weight of the drivers what other benefits are there with these or disbenefits ?

You need a 2nd order Linkwitz-Riley high-pass at 2000Hz and a 2nd order Butterworth low-pass at 1400Hz. Which together with the actual frequency response of the drivers gives an acoustic 3rd/6th order Bessel filter at 1800Hz.

Remember to invert the tweeters and dampen them by 3dB with a series resistor.

Oops. That should have been that it's a 6th order Bessel filter at 2100Hz on both the high and low pass slopes acoustically.

If you're going to have an active crossover or dual digital dsp with miniDSP, that is also the optimum starting points.

Oops. That should have been that it's a 6th order Bessel filter at 2100Hz on both the high and low pass slopes acoustically.

If you're going to have an active crossover or dual digital dsp with miniDSP, that is also the optimum starting points.

Is the cut-off at 2100hz because thats where the dip in the reponse is at? I was just wondering as the recommended cut-off for the PHT407n is 2000hz.. I guess the difference isnt immense :)

I take it you only mean 1 minidsp.. And that the miniDSP is a dual digital dsp because it has 4 channels? :)

Is the cut-off at 2100hz because thats where the dip in the reponse is at? I was just wondering as the recommended cut-off for the PHT407n is 2000hz.. I guess the difference isnt immense :)

I take it you only mean 1 minidsp.. And that the miniDSP is a dual digital dsp because it has 4 channels? :)

Actually to accurately illustrate the transfer function of the tweeter filter and how it works you take the frequency response from winISD (PRO alpha version) of the s2010 woofer in the Boominator cabinet. That has a hump in the frequency response more or less equal to the pht407n tweeter if you just multiply all frequencies with exactly 20.

Now you add a high pass filter function in winISD. User SOS, fc=100Hz and Q=0.5 which is a 2nd order L-R filter. See how straight and smooth the response is now?

The crossover frequency is the frequency where the the output is -4.5dB for this filter because the total Q of the filter is between the drivers Q (0.66) and the filters Q (0.49). Actually the drivers Q is 0.42 but since there's a 4 ohm series resistor in series with the 2 paralleled drivers it changes to roughly 0.66. So the total Q for the filter is 0.57 which is a Bessel filter which crossover point lies at -4.5dB.

Similarly the woofers Q at the crossover frequency is also roughly 0.57, as the base Q is 0.31 plus the 0.06 added from the series resistance in the coil, and the Butterworth filter function has a Q of .71, which also gives a roughly 0.57 Q of the Bessel filter.

Yes, one miniDSP.

Actually to accurately illustrate the transfer function of the tweeter filter and how it works you take the frequency response from winISD (PRO alpha version) of the s2010 woofer in the Boominator cabinet. That has a hump in the frequency response more or less equal to the pht407n tweeter if you just multiply all frequencies with exactly 20.

Now you add a high pass filter function in winISD. User SOS, fc=100Hz and Q=0.5 which is a 2nd order L-R filter. See how straight and smooth the response is now?

The crossover frequency is the frequency where the the output is -4.5dB for this filter because the total Q of the filter is between the drivers Q (0.66) and the filters Q (0.49). Actually the drivers Q is 0.42 but since there's a 4 ohm series resistor in series with the 2 paralleled drivers it changes to roughly 0.66. So the total Q for the filter is 0.57 which is a Bessel filter which crossover point lies at -4.5dB.

Similarly the woofers Q at the crossover frequency is also roughly 0.57, as the base Q is 0.31 plus the 0.06 added from the series resistance in the coil, and the Butterworth filter function has a Q of .71, which also gives a roughly 0.57 Q of the Bessel filter.

Yes, one miniDSP.

May I ask - Which book or books should one read to gain a complete understanding of concepts like those you are illustrating here?
Thanks!

I woke up this morning at 6 am and felt like spending some money. I went online and bought 4*S2010 at a total price of £264,45 including shipping and VAT.
When I came home from work and checked the status, they were dispatched from the shop and on their way.
Now there is no turning back, now I have to build what I have planned and it feels good.
Have a great weekend everybody. :)

I woke up this morning at 6 am and felt like spending some money. I went online and bought 4*S2010 at a total price of £264,45 including shipping and VAT.
When I came home from work and checked the status, they were dispatched from the shop and on their way.
Now there is no turning back, now I have to build what I have planned and it feels good.
Have a great weekend everybody. :)

Awesome :) Can't wait to hear more about it..

I'm planning on selling my current boominator some time during autumm and then hopefully be able to build a signature boominator with a few new ideas during winter/spring..

Edit: Btw, I found a belgian reseller with the pht407n in stock, if you still fancy buying some ;)
http://www.bekafun.com/index.php?ac...=&omschrijving=&trefwoord=&clas=&aantal=53946

Last edited:
Awesome :) Can't wait to hear more about it..

I'm planning on selling my current boominator some time during autumm and then hopefully be able to build a signature boominator with a few new ideas during winter/spring..

Edit: Btw, I found a belgian reseller with the pht407n in stock, if you still fancy buying some ;)
Bekafun

Thanks, I haven't decided which tweeters to use yet. As far as my audio understanding goes, the PHT-407N has a higher power handling, 2 more dB in SPL and will reduce the weight with a total of 2,8 kg. compared to the standard PHT-407 wich is not a neodymium but a ferrite magnet.
I can see from the SPL vs. FREQ diagrams that the 407 has a way higher output in the low range from 0,8-2,2 KHz. But I don't know if that matters since the cutoff frequency should be at 2 KHz accordingly to data-sheets.

Last year Saturnus wrote this about the PHT--407N, but I don't know if he has changed his mind, or if the different setup in this case makes the PHT-407N a better choice if we don't think about the money.

"I'd recommend not using the N version. and instead get the much cheaper and much much better normal version. As it goes deeper, uses a phenolic diaphram that sounds a lot better, handles more power. Oh, and did I mention it's 2/3rds the price
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
"

Have anybody found a site or a store in Copenhagen where Charles Dickinson's Loudspeaker cookbook can be found?
I can only find people that recommend to buy it, but not where to do so.
I would love to learn some more about loudspeakers instead of asking Saturnus 5 stupid questions a day.

Last edited: