The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

I have a question...has any of you experienced that there are almost no bass when standing directly in front of the Boominator? Because our newest version which we had with us at Roskilde had some weird acoustics IMO. It sounded like the bass didn't 'fold' around the ends of the Boominator such that the bass was only audible on the sides, not in front.

What puzzles me is that our older versions did not have this problem, but hey were also shorter. This year we made it 10cm wider in the middle compartment to store more batteries, so I'm thinking this is the reason for the weird bass-loss. Have any of you experienced the same? It bothers me quite a lot, since it is not pleasant to be sitting in the line directly out form the speakers..

Any ideas on how to fix it without building a new one?

Weird! Are you 100% sure that the phase is correct?

I have a question...has any of you experienced that there are almost no bass when standing directly in front of the Boominator? Because our newest version which we had with us at Roskilde had some weird acoustics IMO. It sounded like the bass didn't 'fold' around the ends of the Boominator such that the bass was only audible on the sides, not in front.

What puzzles me is that our older versions did not have this problem, but hey were also shorter. This year we made it 10cm wider in the middle compartment to store more batteries, so I'm thinking this is the reason for the weird bass-loss. Have any of you experienced the same? It bothers me quite a lot, since it is not pleasant to be sitting in the line directly out form the speakers..

Any ideas on how to fix it without building a new one?

You're camp Fri Ost right? We talked about it when I visited your camp one time I recall.. Sounded quite weird!

You're using the hp10w right? And the tweeters from Elextra?

Well sort of...I mean it is connected almost the same way as the old ones we build. We have doubble-checked that + goes to + and - to -.

But the difference is that we connected the speakers like on the right side of this drawing, instead of the old apporach on the left:
Boom%252520new%252520vs%252520old.png

Could that make a difference?

AHA! I think I know where the problem might be. We didn't actually check with a multimeter that - from amp went to - on the speakers, we only followed the cables...but we have this cool design where we can take out the middle compartment, and because of this we have 2 plugs into each speaker chamber, and one of them was installed upside down by one of us, but it is symmetrically looking with only a small tap inside it that prevents one from plugging the cable in wrong, and we might have forgotten to check which way that little tap was facing, hence thinking it was the same as on the other side. I'm sure that must be the problem.

I hope so at least. That would be a very easy fix :D Well thank you as always for your fast and helpful replies! I was afraid that we had to build a completely new one :)

AHA! I think I know where the problem might be. We didn't actually check with a multimeter that - from amp went to - on the speakers, we only followed the cables...but we have this cool design where we can take out the middle compartment, and because of this we have 2 plugs into each speaker chamber, and one of them was installed upside down by one of us, but it is symmetrically looking with only a small tap inside it that prevents one from plugging the cable in wrong, and we might have forgotten to check which way that little tap was facing, hence thinking it was the same as on the other side. I'm sure that must be the problem.

I hope so at least. That would be a very easy fix :D Well thank you as always for your fast and helpful replies! I was afraid that we had to build a completely new one :)

I had the same issue with mine, so perhaps I should try doing some rewiring...

Well, since the pht407 isn´t a piezo tweeter you cant just parallel it with the woofers without lowering the impedance.. Its an 8 ohm tweeter and 2 of those in parallel with two 8 ohm speakers will give you 2ohm, which is troublesome to handle for the amp6 without adequate cooling.. However, you can just run the amp9 on 12v if you wanna save power, alas not as power saving as the amp6 :)

You should put the P.Audio PHT-407N in series (for 16 Ohm) and together with the 4 Ohm drivers, you hit 8 Ohm total.

At least that is how my Boominator is set up.

You should put the P.Audio PHT-407N in series (for 16 Ohm) and together with the 4 Ohm drivers, you hit 8 Ohm total.

At least that is how my Boominator is set up.

No, you don't. That's simply impossible.

Even if we for a second assume you'd have no filter at all then 16 ohm in parallel over 4 ohms is 3.2 ohms. If they're in series it's 20 ohms.

But you have a filter so it's in principle 4 ohms although it will rise at the high frequencies it will still be 4-6 ohms in the audible range.

Ok, I seriously need your help guys! I posted a while ago that my Lepai amp didn't output any sound to my half boominator. So I tried with my NAD hifi amp, and that worked. So I thought that my Lepai must be broken, and I ordered two new ones from ebay (could have gone for amp6, but I get 3 lepai for the price of one amp6). Just received the amps this morning and hooked everything up with one of them, and it's the same story all over again. No sound output, but the lights at the volume knob are glowing.

I tried to power it with a simple 9V battery instead, but no difference. Though I noticed that the blue diods are glowing constantly when I'm using the 9V battery and dimming on and off just a tad when I'm using my SLA 12V.

What should I try next? I've attached an image on how my electronics compartment looks like if that helps.

1. Tweeter speakercables (in case I want to add resistors without opening the box)
2. On/Off Voltmeter for battery
3. On/Off Main power
4. SLA 12V 7.2Ah
5. Fuse 10A
6. Speakercables to/from amp

Attachments

• foto.jpg
    foto.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 375
Hi guys

This is a cry for help.

Me and my friend have spend the last couple of weeks tweaking our boom box and today we finally finished. Only to discover that our AMP6 no longer works. I change the input caps to some 0.33uF, and now all we get is a low static. We even managed to get some smoke going for a while when we attached it to the battery. We build the boom box to take with us on holiday and we are leaving next week. Too short time to order a new AMP6 unfortunately :(

So if any of you guys have a AMP6 or maybe a Lepai amp we could rent/borrow/buy it could be amazing. We are ready to figure out the payment. Maybe just pay you what a new one + postage would cost.

We live in Denmark, in Copenhagen, but are able to pick it up anywhere on "Sjælland".

:cop: Contact details removed at OP's request

/PalleRaa