The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

You might also be listening to it indoors. There's a huge difference when you take it outdoors. It sounds a lot louder outdoors.

But the main problem is the amp. If you check the datasheet of the TPA3123D2 you'll see that it needs 24V to get 16W output in stereo into 4 ohms. An amp6 (or other TA2020 based amp) will achieve the same output on 12V. That's because the amp you use is not internally bridged like the TA2020 based amps.

So it's your amp that is the problem.

From the spec sheet of the amp:

Specifications:

Output Power

THD+N<1% - VCC=24V, RL=4O, f=1000Hz - 16W

Last edited:
So I will get more output with the AMP6 compared to 2x25W sure both on 12V? On 24V it can play incredible loud as it is but only when I have 230V at my dispersal!

The strange but good thing with my boominator is that the sound seams to cary on endlessly. I can hardly notice any change on 10m compared to 15m. And if am using it indoors it will fill up every single rome in the house with music and everyone wile have problems finding the source. It disperses the sound incredibly good!

Is there and problems with using a multimeter to calculate power consumption on a amplifier? The tops are very short and i don't know if the multimeter can keep up with it and stile display the right numbers. It seams like i can get about 70 hours of playtime on 80% volume (iPhone) by using two 7.2 aH batteries witch feels incredible to say the least. This is calculated by measuring average consumption on 10 different songs. I haven't been able to test this in real life yet.

I completed my boombox last week and i'm very pleased with it. Positively amazed by the sound quality but I stile have some questions.

Im using the gooldwood speakers and the 2x25w amplifier from sure and the problem is that i don't get especially loud volume. I use 12v batteries and when a wall socket is close enough I use an old laptop charger on 24v. When I'm using the charger i can play much higher then on batteries. This isn't much of a mystery when the amplifier works on up to 32v. Is there any reason to think that AMP6 wile give more "umpf" on 12v then the Sure board? Or do i need 24v (2 batteries in serie) to get more out of my boominator?

Of course I can go with 24v from batteries al the time but i would rather not go this way. So with outer words, is there any amplifier that will give more sound with roughly the same power consumption as the 2x25 Sure board?

Use the Sure TA2024 2*15 watt amp.It's meant for 12 volts and sounds great.I use them in mine.

So I will get more output with the AMP6 compared to 2x25W sure both on 12V? On 24V it can play incredible loud as it is but only when I have 230V at my dispersal!

The strange but good thing with my boominator is that the sound seams to cary on endlessly. I can hardly notice any change on 10m compared to 15m. And if am using it indoors it will fill up every single rome in the house with music and everyone wile have problems finding the source. It disperses the sound incredibly good!

Is there and problems with using a multimeter to calculate power consumption on a amplifier? The tops are very short and i don't know if the multimeter can keep up with it and stile display the right numbers. It seams like i can get about 70 hours of playtime on 80% volume (iPhone) by using two 7.2 aH batteries witch feels incredible to say the least. This is calculated by measuring average consumption on 10 different songs. I haven't been able to test this in real life yet.

Yes. An TA202x amp (as coit noted above it doesn't have to be a TA2020 amp but that's what I recommend) will output as much on 12V as your current amp does on 24V.

:D You just described why I love bipolar designs so much. In my humble opinion they are superior to any other design.

With your current amp 70 hour isn't unreasonable but with a TA202x it should be around 40 hours at full volume with 2 7.2Ah battery. Power consumtion is a mere 350mA at full volume but it will vary a bit with the kind of music you're using and if you adjusted the input caps to cut-off what the Boominator can't reproduce anyways.

wifi boominator

Has anyone put wifi in their boominator yet?

Apple airport express can be picked up on ebay for < $50 and you can find broken units for a few bucks. From what I've read, the power supply conks out, but can be easily bypassed.

The airport needs +5v & +3.3v.

So, for a wifi boominator you'd need power to supply the t-amp +12v and +5v & +3.3v.

Has anyone put wifi in their boominator yet?

Apple airport express can be picked up on ebay for < $50 and you can find broken units for a few bucks. From what I've read, the power supply conks out, but can be easily bypassed.

The airport needs +5v & +3.3v.

So, for a wifi boominator you'd need power to supply the t-amp +12v and +5v & +3.3v.

For the last couple of years, I have hooked up our camp at Roskilde Festival with wifi. It wasn't much of a success this year, do to the boom of smart phones draining the under dimensioned 3G network. It worked, but it was just as fast/slow to just use the build-in modem in my iPhone. The only advantage this year, was that you could get your iPod on wifi as well. Adding a wifi to the boominator takes battery and also increases the weight.
I didn't make the wifi a permanent part of the boominator, I just ran it on the same battery, and had it lying loose in the middle compartment when it was being used.
I used my USB modem and a mobile broadband wifi router from "3" that runs on 12V DC.

3-mobile-broadband-wireless-router.png

For the last couple of years, I have hooked up our camp at Roskilde Festival with wifi. It wasn't much of a success this year, do to the boom of smart phones draining the under dimensioned 3G network. It worked, but it was just as fast/slow to just use the build-in modem in my iPhone. The only advantage this year, was that you could get your iPod on wifi as well. Adding a wifi to the boominator takes battery and also increases the weight.
I didn't make the wifi a permanent part of the boominator, I just ran it on the same battery, and had it lying loose in the middle compartment when it was being used.
I used my USB modem and a mobile broadband wifi router from "3" that runs on 12V DC.

I think suggesting the AirPort Express was because of its AirPlay feature.

And that it easily runs on 5V and 3.3V.

Edit: Oh think I misunderstood, you need WiFi for internet? Original post was about Wireless-Audio:

Saturnus talked about some wireless-audio gismo that is sold on eBay for 8$ or something I think. Small, lightweight and energy efficient. Haven't looked for it yet, but will do now. Otherwise, wait for Saturnus' answer on this one before you buy expensive Apple-stuff :)

A quick search found these two, but I don't know if they are what Saturnus meant:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-4-GHz-W...785?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item45fa06f2c1
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bluetooth...e_Phones_Bluetooth_Acc_ET&hash=item415aca27d7

Last edited:

This is very interesting. Is this a reference design to some IC? The information on eBay is sparse. I would love to hear from anybody who have actually tried this. I can't read the labels on the chips so I can't find anything else about them. Would be nice if they could be supplied by 6V or 9V. Also a realistic range would be welcome. Finally I'm wondering how important the extra passive components on the reciever and transmitter are.

Maybe I should just order a set and try it out.

It would be awesome to just but the transmitter in a little box with a battery and attach to the music player. That way you could awoid any cables to the boominator.

It's still a lot more work that just opening up an Apple AirPort Express with an exacto knife (even a faulty one from eBay, because it is usually the power supply that has crapped out) and supplying it with 5V and 3.3V (like this one, which supplies both currents from a standard barrel plug).

That way you wouldn't need a transmitter hanging out from your devices and the audio would be digital from the iPod / iPhone.

It's still a lot more work that just opening up an Apple AirPort Express with an exacto knife (even a faulty one from eBay, because it is usually the power supply that has crapped out) and supplying it with 5V and 3.3V (like this one, which supplies both currents from a standard barrel plug).

That way you wouldn't need a transmitter hanging out from your devices and the audio would be digital from the iPod / iPhone.

First of all I really dont want to use WiFi. Not on my iPhone and not on a airport express. Reason? it uses way too much power. I found a note saying the Airport express needed to be supplied with no less than 5V and 650mA. Thats the same as my Amp6 uses, not including the powerloss in 12V to 5V and 3.3V transformers. It will also limit me to using iPhones as playback devices. Finally it is alot more hassle to transmit the audio signal to more recievers.

I'm almost certain the used chip is the TI PurePath Wireless

2.4 GHz Wireless Audio ? RF Transceiver IC - TI.com

Supply voltage and consumption is actually on the eBay site.

Transmitter: +5V, 120mA
Reciever: +5V, 50mA

That's very little power. Range is up to 100m outdoors.

Wow! That IS interesting! Could be fun to build a very, very versatile boombox wagon with a boominator on it, loads of power, wireless access, mobile charger, wireless sound transmission, cooling box for beer etc.

But one must be clever to design everything as compressed as possible. And it would probably also be pretty expensive in the end :D

I think that it would be a better idea for the danes to choose this one if they are interested in such a wireless link, because of the 80 kroner lower limit for the danish customs. The total price is about the same, but it's split into an item and delivery price.

That will not pass the danish postal service because the import fee is calculated for everything above 80 DKK in total price (incl. shipping/delivery)

From PostDanmark.dk:
Tolden udregnes fra varens værdi og portoen

EDIT: In addition, I just called them to be absolutely sure. They confirmed the claim I just made.

Last edited: