The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

Ah, that's why I was puzzled.

The PHT-407N I've used in my Boominator are 8 Ohm tweeters though, hence the confusion :blush:

So my Boominator is actually not well suited for the AMP6B and here all along I thought it was rocking :p

Mine is definitely only 13 Watt RMS then.

Not exactly. You also have a filter built in (hopefully) so that the impedance is still 4 ohms per side. :D

But I do recommend an active filter and a 4 channel amp when you're using the PHT-407Ns. It makes sense since they're (as you know by now) really good quality, and getting an active filter will really get them singing. (It will also eliminate the power lost in the L-pad).

Not exactly. You also have a filter built in (hopefully) so that the impedance is still 4 ohms per side. :D

But I do recommend an active filter and a 4 channel amp when you're using the PHT-407Ns. It makes sense since they're (as you know by now) really good quality, and getting an active filter will really get them singing. (It will also eliminate the power lost in the L-pad).

Yeah, I do have a filter built-in using capacitors and inductors, as well as a fully assembled AMP9B.

I basically only need input-trafo's (Neutrik NTE10/3) to get the AMP9B rockin'.

But to be honest I am at a bit of a loss as to how to make an active crossover solution?

Hello guys, i've been reading this thread for a couple of days now since im planning on building a boombox and this looks like the design im going to use, im gonna run with the 4xHP12W@8ohm and 4xPHT-409@8ohm on a Amp9B. im gonna change the size a little in order to fit the 12"Bas.
Im only gonna use the Boombox for 8hour max and will probably be using a OptimaYellow 12v 38aH gel battery (expensive) so hopefully the battery will cover 8h on a Amp9b.
Since the people whos gonna listen to my boombox is not bothered with sound quality im not gonna change caps or something like that because it's a bit to complicated for me.
Now i just have a few questions;
1. Does the side rooms (where the elements are) need ventilation or any type of basreflex pipes, or should the side rooms be closed to 100%?
2. How long will i be able to play on 12v with the Amp9B, im buying the Amp9B because i don't need so long playtime and it has higher output for future projects.
3. On your design (the first, probably the second aswell) i can't see any space for the battery, is the inner walls cut to make it fit. Maybe the battery you use is small enough to fit?
I hope i can get my questions answered and i reserve myself for misspellings etc. my english is not the best!

A "little" change in box size? That's an understatement. To get the same tuning with HP12Ws the box must be 397 liters internally. I kid you not. The HP12W is a very very poor choice for a compact speaker. So you can drop that idea right away.

2. You didn't read a lot in this post if you missed that, same voltage = same output. The amp9b does not output more than an amp6b on 12V, in fact slightly less.

3. It's small enough to fit

Last edited:
Oh okay, but the 10s does not excist at any reseller untill august....

Yes they do. Check around, there was even a list with all the suppliers in Europe. Plus-elektronik.de should have them in stock.

Off-topic: How do I make it default that I do not subscribe to every thread I make a post in? It is annoying to have to change the notification type each time I post. Cheers :)

I bought my 10s from ljudia.se

Wubbaz: isn't it only the first message that follows yours that gets sent to your email? stop posting and it won't spam you i guess. :p

Seriously tough I don't have a clue.

Hi, just wanted to come by to tell you that the boominator preformed splendidly at Roskilde festival 2011. the sun-panel actually managed to cover 3-4 mobile charges per day plus the audio output. Rarely played it at full volume though, it's so loud!

I may change the batteries to a more capable type, SLA doesn't really do well with getting flat.

Have a good summer and so on!

Regards, Marcus.

Last edited:
Yes they do. Check around, there was even a list with all the suppliers in Europe. Plus-elektronik.de should have them in stock.

Off-topic: How do I make it default that I do not subscribe to every thread I make a post in? It is annoying to have to change the notification type each time I post. Cheers :)

I personally would not recommend Plus-elektronik.de. I ordered June 16 and still not received them. They claim the shipment disappeared and now waiting for new shipment but the information from the shop is very poor.

Alight i will just wait for them to come back in stock again since i rather order from a safe, swedish site - anyways i could still use an answer for question nr1, is the side rooms ventilated in any way? also my tweeters have 10db more sensitivity then the HP10s, should i use resistors for that? and in that case what value on them should i have?
Also im going for the Amp6b because i know that you know everything about this.
Cheers //Max

Yes, as you can see on the Sketch-Up drawing, the handles double as ports. It's a crucial feature.

Have you already got the PHT-409? Because I wouldn't recommend them. If you must then use the PHT-407N also from P.audio. Otherwise and since you have the time to wait regularly check for the recommended bubble tweeter to become available.

Last edited:
I can recommend ljudia.se as retailer. I have bought from them several times and their service is great.

If you must buy from there, why not buy the HP-10W when they become available and connect them together with the QLM-1005 (a piezo tweeter which is a replica of the earlier recommended Motorola KSN-1005). They are only 60 SEK a piece I think. Plus you don't need a crossover when using this replica. The crossover is pretty natural. That's also how the boominator is intensionally designed.

Update

Here is an update from my project:

On the case side

1. :checked: I have all my wood in perfect cuts (i bought wood from Bauhaus plywood 12mm and they made all the cuts for me besides the circles)
2. :checked: Got myself an nice Bosch router Bosch overfræser POF 1200 AE
3. :checked: I got a circle attachment from Germany that fit's the Bosch router Fräszirkel für die Oberfräse - Frässchablone | eBay
5. :wrench: I still have an unanswered question regarding the port. @saturnus did you have a chance to look at this post http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/clas...b-ultimate-party-machine-196.html#post2618046 ?

Electronics

1. :wrench: As mentioned before my AMP is done although i need to figure out a way to remove the popping sound on power on. I guess some caps ?
2. :checked: My batteries are all assembled and tested. 14.6 V 26Ah and a total weight of 2.2kg
3. :checked: Texas Instruments solar charge controller (BQ24650) is tested and adjusted to fit my batteries (not with sun but with regular power supply).
4. :checked: My SMPS (switch mode power supply) is on it's way again from Texas Instruments, the reason i am going to use this is that the voltage from the battery is to high directly for the amp6basic when it's fully charged and i risk destroying it. TPS54620 8V to 17V, 6A SWIFT? Converter Evaluation Module - TPS54620EVM-374 - TI Tool Folder
5. :wrench: I still need to figure out what resistor to use with MPT-001, any ideas here ? Disconetto.dk tilbyder IMG STAGE LINE Piezohorn - MPT-001 til den rigtige pris.
6. :wrench: My HP10W are still not here. Waiting for them to be shipped. Hopefully next week.
7. :wrench: As mentioned in one of the earlier posts i got my two 10W solar panels as well. They seem to have an big diode between + and -. I have not had the guts to parallel the two panels yet because i wanted to ask if it's ok. I guess the diode is there for protection ? KeryChip WEBSHOP - solceller, solcelleanlæg, tilbehør

/donnib

Here is an update from my project:

/donnib

As for the tweeters, you should either try to listen to them with different resistor values. You might not need a resistor at all as this tweeter is a replica of the Motorola KSN-1005. Start with low values and go up.

You could also measure the capacitance of the piezo and use a formula to calculate the correct resistor value. But I don't know any formula like this, so here I can't help you.

Resistors cost next to nothing and you should consider just connect them loosely in series with the piezo with different values and test what you think sounds best.

On kerychip's website there is a datasheet of the panel with this statement:
• Ultra reliable bypass diodes prevent damage
through overheating due to shaded or defective cells

I guess this is what the diode is for :)

As for the tweeters, you should either try to listen to them with different resistor values. You might not need a resistor at all as this tweeter is a replica of the Motorola KSN-1005. Start with low values and go up.

You could also measure the capacitance of the piezo and use a formula to calculate the correct resistor value. But I don't know any formula like this, so here I can't help you.

Resistors cost next to nothing and you should consider just connect them loosely in series with the piezo with different values and test what you think sounds best.

Yup thanks. I remember that there was someone talking about using coil. I guess that is not necessary either or ?

Yup thanks. I remember that there was someone talking about using coil. I guess that is not necessary either or ?

A crossover inductance coil I guess... No, it's not necessary to put a coil on the HP-10W when using the replica piezo because crossover is very smooth already, and secondly the HP-10W has a smooth rolloff itself so it's not needed. If you were trying to use another piezo with lower frequency range, then it would might be a good idea.

A crossover inductance coil I guess... No, it's not necessary to put a coil on the HP-10W when using the replica piezo because crossover is very smooth already, and secondly the HP-10W has a smooth rolloff itself so it's not needed. If you were trying to use another piezo with lower frequency range, then it would might be a good idea.

Yep that's what i meant. As i read the resistors should be Metalfilm 2W correct ? What resistance should i start with ?