The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

]Hi!

Is this Lepai type ok?

[wiki=http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=290561624751&index=0&nav=SEARCH&nid=39382468798[wiki=]%[/wiki]]%[/wiki]
[wiki=[wiki=

I bought one from that seller, and mine works beautifully. I'm no audiophile, but I think it sounds good.

It is labeled LP-2020A+ on the alu casing, instead of TA-2020A+. Is there any difference?
It has the anti-pop-relay and tone bypass as the auction image shows, and allthough I've heard stories about faulty relays, mine works fine.
Fast shipping as well]%[/wiki]]%[/wiki]

so, just got back from Roskilde festival with my Boominator. Apart from some minor scratches where the paint it missing it held up very well. Though there was one major problem. My solar cells didn't work as well as they should have! Being at a festival I didn't have acces to a multimeter, but by testing the positive and negative wires on my tongue I was able to establish that they did produce current, just not enough to charge the batteries - which resulted in me buying a seperate car battery as the built in batterys only survived 2 days of playing music.

Does any of you have an idea as to what the problem may be?

so, just got back from Roskilde festival with my Boominator. Apart from some minor scratches where the paint it missing it held up very well. Though there was one major problem. My solar cells didn't work as well as they should have! Being at a festival I didn't have acces to a multimeter, but by testing the positive and negative wires on my tongue I was able to establish that they did produce current, just not enough to charge the batteries - which resulted in me buying a seperate car battery as the built in batterys only survived 2 days of playing music.

Hard to say. You should try and take them out in the sun and connect them to the battery and put a amperameter in series and watch how much current is going to the battery. Also you don't say how you connected the panels ? Directly or thru a controller ? What kind of solar cells do you have ? More details please !

Couldn't have written this better. This was my experience exactly - although i instead of buying the car battery charmed the people at camporange so they charged my batteries :)

Last edited:
Awesome Roskilde Festival this year! And the half boominator worked like a charm. Actually it was the only half boominator at the meetup, so I was a bit out of league :D But thanks for the short talk, Saturnus. Was great to meet the creator over a beer and a smoke.

Unfortunately my batteries were dead sometime friday I think. But it didn't have to much of an impact on the camp as we were all going to the festival stage site to watch/listen to some music (Mastodon was awesome btw)

I think I'm going to build the proper size boominator for next year and use my 14 W panel I have at home to make a click-on/off solution.

The meetup was absolutely a success and I'm very much looking forward to next year. Hopefully we will have evolved to a small movement of festival hifi knights and actually get to play as loud as Orange Stage (theoretically).

Btw. My sisters fullsize boominator had 2x 7,2 Ah batteries + 12 W amorphous panel and I had a half size boominator with 2x 9 Ah batteries + 5 W monocrystalline panel. She didn't run out of juice. So I guess the 10W+ amorphous panels are desirable.

See you next year :)

Awesome Roskilde Festival this year! And the half boominator worked like a charm. Actually it was the only half boominator at the meetup, so I was a bit out of league :D But thanks for the short talk, Saturnus. Was great to meet the creator over a beer and a smoke.

Yeah, great festival although I need to work on a better transportation solution for my Boominator next year.

Camp Fri Ost's solution with the wheelbarrow is spot on, also working as a cooler for beers and whatnot.

I will also, definitely, be bringing my AMP9B as the sound output increase from the AMP6B to it is astonishing.

In short, I want to work on the following for next year:
  • AMP6B + AMP9B
  • Solar Panels
  • Easier transportation
  • Make a pull-out drawer instead of a top mounted opening for the compartment
  • LED Light Matrix for funky effects at night (totally and utter overkill)

But all in all, not a bad first time build.

Also the P. Audio PHT-407N tweeters really sound great, although they command a much higher price.

Attachments

• The_Candy_Bar.jpg
    The_Candy_Bar.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 426
Oh right! That was yours! I didn't even get to greet you. What a shame. But I think I'll be working on the same issues as you for next year as well. Maybe get an AMP9B and some huge batteries on a wagon to put on when there's need for it. Although I still believe the 20-25W amps are enough for around 20 people. No one can talk together while sitting next to each other :D

The pullout tray also is a great idea and gives more versatile use of the electronics.

Still. We need info on panel-type, and how you connected them to you battery. Did you maybe forget to use a diode?

The panels used were the 2 12v, 0.8 A panels from a couple of pages back, and I connected them to the batteries via a charge controller from Brinck.

As soon as I can, I will get my hands on an amperemeter and try to do some measurements. As for next year, I'll probably make the solar panels separate so they can be mounted on top of a tent instead of being on top of the boominator since we would have loved to be able to place our boominator under a pavillion instead of having it out on the walkway.

Oh right! That was yours! I didn't even get to greet you. What a shame. But I think I'll be working on the same issues as you for next year as well. Maybe get an AMP9B and some huge batteries on a wagon to put on when there's need for it. Although I still believe the 20-25W amps are enough for around 20 people. No one can talk together while sitting next to each other :D

The pullout tray also is a great idea and gives more versatile use of the electronics.

In reality when the AMP6B is loaded with 8 Ohm we are talking 2 x 13~16 Watt RMS @ 12V.

So in theory your half-Boominator loaded with 4 Ohm should sound louder with 2 x 23 Watt RMS @ 12V.

In reality when the AMP6B is loaded with 8 Ohm we are talking 2 x 13~16 Watt RMS @ 12V.

So in theory your half-Boominator loaded with 4 Ohm should sound louder with 2 x 23 Watt RMS @ 12V.

It's the opposite. A Boominator has 2x 8 ohms drivers per side making it 4 ohms, and the halfy version has 1x 8 ohms driver per side making it 8 ohms.

Note also it takes a quadrupling in power to be twice as loud, not a doubling. So a halfy version's potential output is actually -9dB that of the Boominator due to having double the impedance and half the cone area.

Last edited:
It's the opposite. A Boominator has 2x 8 ohms drivers per side making it 4 ohms, and the halfy version has 1x 8 ohms driver per side making it 8 ohms.

Note also it takes a doubling in power to be twice as loud. So a halfy version's potential output is actually -9dB that of the Boominator due to having double the impedance and half the cone area.

But the Boominator also has 2 x tweeters in series at 16 Ohm in each side? Doesn't that make the total load 8 Ohm over the four drivers and tweeters?

But the Boominator also has 2 x tweeters in series at 16 Ohm in each side? Doesn't that make the total load 8 Ohm over the four drivers and tweeters?

They're not in series. They're in parallel, and nor are they regular tweeters, they're piezos which impedance is several hundred ohms in their working area and thousands to millions of ohms lower than that so they have no effect on the impedance.

They're not in series. They're in parallel, and nor are they regular tweeters, they're piezos which impedance is several hundred ohms in their working area and thousands to millions of ohms lower than that so they have no effect on the impedance.

Ah, that's why I was puzzled.

The PHT-407N I've used in my Boominator are 8 Ohm tweeters though, hence the confusion :blush:

So my Boominator is actually not well suited for the AMP6B and here all along I thought it was rocking :p

Mine is definitely only 13 Watt RMS then.