The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

Yeah, it's 149 DKK in Stadium and perfect for the job when you remove the fittings to hold the golfbag. Coupled with half a meter of garden hose and a bolt and some washers it's the perfect trailer.

The sound is really good, though the piezo's distort over 75-80% volume :-/ and the piezo's are a bit too loud at lower volumes. Playing at 50-60% is perfect.

Edit: As an afterthought I should have used 1. more expensive piezo's and 2. insulated them with some foam. But what the hell, it's miles better than my stereo last year was.

Last edited:
I guess if you had access to surgical equipment you could do it through the reflex ports but no. it's not something you can change now then. You did have resistors in series, right?

Yup, a 150 ohm resistor for each piezo. Hmm, I might actually have acces to equipment which would let me pull the wire out through the bass port, solder on a cap and then reinsert it. But that's just so complicated .. :-/

What exactly does SPL mean for a speaker? How loud it can play or just how much watt it consumes to produce sound?

I am asking this since the GW-1058 has 94,2 SPL while the HP-10W has 96 SPL. Would there be a noticeable difference between the HP-10W and the GW-1058 sound-wise?

SPL is Sound Pressure Level.

About the sensitivity difference of the GW1058 and HP10W I refer to an earlier post on this.

Looking forward to that Saturnus :p

I double this and will happily pay the 10 eur for the instructions.. I think you can make quite some money from this... This topic is getting very poupular! IMHO you should be making a great deal of money from all your help! Thanks... I will buy your instructions and supply you with some beers at the Roskilde Festival, Just write to me where you are and i will even bring them to you ;)

I think I read somewhere that it was part of the protection circuit. But in principle you could just as easily replace with a very small and much lower wattage LED instead.

As far as I can deduce the blue LED in the Lepai uses about 30mA, and since the TA2020 uses 60mA in idle that's a quite considerable power saving.

I think I read somewhere that it was part of the protection circuit. But in principle you could just as easily replace with a very small and much lower wattage LED instead.

As far as I can deduce the blue LED in the Lepai uses about 30mA, and since the TA2020 uses 60mA in idle that's a quite considerable power saving.

I will try to find a small LED then! It should be 12V right?

Is the 30mA for one or both the LED's inside? And 12V*0,03A = 0.36W which is ~1/13 of the average consumption at max volume if my calculations are correct. which is almost 2hours of the total 22 hours playing time on a 7.2Ah battery, right? That's a lot I think.

Going to look for smaller LED's :)

How about using this speaker instead of HP-10W:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

They recommended it at the store but I wonder if it's worth buying this instead of waiting for HP-10w to come in again, which doesn't seem to be before august. Any input regarding this? Any other speakers that actually could replace the HP-10w? Been reading around but didn't find anything certain.

And then the longshot:
Anyone with 4 hp-10w just lying around, or perhaps a boominator for sale?

How about using this speaker instead of HP-10W:
(...)
They recommended it at the store but I wonder if it's worth buying this instead of waiting for HP-10w to come in again, which doesn't seem to be before august. Any input regarding this? Any other speakers that actually could replace the HP-10w? Been reading around but didn't find anything certain.

And then the longshot:
Anyone with 4 hp-10w just lying around, or perhaps a boominator for sale?

It would prolly need a lot bigger enclosure than that of the Boominator, so don't think its a viable replacement..

You haven't been reading this thread fully then.. There's the Goldwood GW1058, although its not as good as the HP10w it replaces them without any substantial changes..

Also, if money is less of an option there's the SN10-MB used in the Signature design and the Deltalite II 2510, which are both more expensive than the HP10w..