The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

Hello, been lurking this thread for over a year now. Impressive stuff!

If I mount the magnet against the centerpiece, there would still be a gap, I think someone mentioned 3mm (I haven't received the HP10W's yet so I can't measure myself). Would this stuff suffice for sealing the gap, http://www.clasohlson.co.uk/link/m3/Product,Product.aspx?artnr=34-235 I think the sealing gasket ljudia.se sells is to small (2.8mm).

Masonite seems really hard to find in any of the stores around here and plexiglass is really really expensive. :c

Last edited:
All the main parameters should be roughly the same.

Sensitivity: 94-97dB/w/m
Qts: 0.38-0.42
Vas: 50-60l
Fs: 45-55Hz
Re: 6.2-6.8ohm
Le: 0.9-1.1mH

You need to find a speaker with all parameters within these limits. Specifically Re and Le can go outside these as long as one goes equally much to the other side as the other, ie. if Re goes down, Le must go up.

I just browsed the 10-12" PA speakers on Monacor's website. Found this SPA-12PA. Although it's a 12" speaker, it's awfully close to those parametres you've mentioned, but costs almost twice as much as the HP-10W - unfortunately.

But let me understand this right, Saturnus. If we find a substitute speaker, are these parametres just so we don't need to change the enclosure you made? Or are these general outdoor boombox parametres? :)

Well, I never got to build my boombox, and since my focus has shifted to another project on the horizon, I was wondering if anyone would be interested in buying 4 HP-10W's and 10 of the piezo tweeters from the 10-pack on ebay? I'm guessing yes, so if you're interested, shoot me a PM. If this is against forum rules, please have this post removed.

Well, I never got to build my boombox, and since my focus has shifted to another project on the horizon, I was wondering if anyone would be interested in buying 4 HP-10W's and 10 of the piezo tweeters from the 10-pack on ebay? I'm guessing yes, so if you're interested, shoot me a PM. If this is against forum rules, please have this post removed.

Due to plenty of offers to buy my left over parts, consider them no longer available. Thank you ..

Hey all
I now have the hp-10W and the piezo bubble tweeters from ebay. I have some questions and I need answers before i order the last parts and can assemble it.

1. If I dont do the magnet to magnet construction will it still be loud enough to throw a great party at Roskilde festival. Whats the minimum size of the box and should each speaker have its own room or can they share one big box ? We want the speakers at the same side

2. anyone know if the bubble tweeters (10pack) from ebay needs ohm resister ? or are they included ?

3. We want to play loud so do you guys think its a good idea to get the amp9 basic instead of amp6 ? we got plenty of batteries (some of them are 80 ah marine ones.) is there a significant increase in volume by choosing the amp9 prior to the amp6 ?
and is there enough juice in amp9 to with another 4 hp-10w and 4 piezos (bridging) later?

if we use amp9 we need 24v to get maximum volume, but is it possible to bridge two batteries with diffrent AH to get the desired voltage?

MEH! Looks like I'm gonna have to find a substitute speaker now.
Hello Ruben.
I don´t understand what has happened.
It was 2 Hp-10W left when I where at our wherehouse. But now they are not there.
It seems that someone had been here and bought those two, just when I changed your order.
I´m so sorry.
Isn´t there any other speaker that can fit.
-.- It's my damn luck

May as well make the SP-60 system with 8 units of them paralleled into 4 ohm

MEH! Looks like I'm gonna have to find a substitute speaker now.

-.- It's my damn luck

May as well make the SP-60 system with 8 units of them paralleled into 4 ohm

Hmm I just checked and you can get 4 Goldwood GW1058 from parts-express.com through Shopusa.com for around 1300dkr.. Thats pretty close to the price of 4 HP10w with shipping..

Just make sure that the packaging of the woofers doesnt exceed 0,5m3 and you'll be fine.. I used Shopusa.com for the ebay tweeters and it worked absolutely fine..

1. If I dont do the magnet to magnet construction will it still be loud enough to throw a great party at Roskilde festival. Whats the minimum size of the box and should each speaker have its own room or can they share one big box ? We want the speakers at the same side

Why would you do that? Then you'll have to recalculate enclosure volume and you'll have to figure out a bafflestep filter.

2. anyone know if the bubble tweeters (10pack) from ebay needs ohm resister ? or are they included ?

Probably. Haven't tested it but somewhere between 47 and 150 ohms

3. We want to play loud so do you guys think its a good idea to get the amp9 basic instead of amp6 ? we got plenty of batteries (some of them are 80 ah marine ones.) is there a significant increase in volume by choosing the amp9 prior to the amp6 ?
and is there enough juice in amp9 to with another 4 hp-10w and 4 piezos (bridging) later?

You cannot bridge the amp9b (or the amp6b). The amp will die instantly if you try. And no, for the thousand time, an amp9b or any other amplifier has exactly the same output on the same battery (if the amp has 90% efficiency at least).

if we use amp9 we need 24v to get maximum volume, but is it possible to bridge two batteries with diffrent AH to get the desired voltage?

*DO NOT EVER DO THAT* at least not if you value your health or even life. The chance of one or both batteries exploding is very real if you try that.

"Why would you do that? Then you'll have to recalculate enclosure volume and you'll have to figure out a bafflestep filter."

Because we will probaly have the boominator behind us and not in the middle of our camp. There for we think its bit of waste that one side of the speakers are playing out to nothing. A baffle filter is the wooden panel with holes between the speakers in the boominator ? is it important that the enclosure volume is something exact? thought the bigger the better was the thumb

You cannot bridge the amp9b (or the amp6b). The amp will die instantly if you try. And no, for the thousand time, an amp9b or any other amplifier has exactly the same output on the same battery (if the amp has 90% efficiency at least).

I thought you bridged two speakers into each channel in the amp6b for maximizing the output from the speakers (ohm) ? then i thought i could do the same with the amp9b being a 4-channel just with 8 hp10w.

so i wont hear any diffrence if i use an amp9b instead of amp6b?

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/clas...b-ultimate-party-machine-152.html#post2574674 if we use amp9 we need 24v to get maximum volume, but is it possible to bridge two batteries with diffrent AH to get the desired voltage?

ok so its possible with if the batteries are at the same AH right ? thanks for the warning thou :)

The whole reason the design can be so small is the bipolar design. That means the bass output from the back mixes with what comes from the front to make a flat frequency response. If you don't do this you'll need to recalculate the cabinet and you'll need a baffle step filter, which is an electronic filter that inserts a 6dB loss at frequencies over in this case 400Hz, so you don't get any higher output from having the speakers on one side, you only lose bass performance, or will need a (much) larger cabinet.

You can parallel speakers and parallel channels. That's the exact opposite of bridging which is to serial connect though.

Btw, to get 24V out of two 12V batteries you have to bridge them, ie. serial connect them.

Last edited:
This is my first post in this forum so be nice to me ;)

I have read -almost- the entire thread and information from different places all over the net. Under this somer I, like many else, will build a Boominator. Im not new to the building bit so that vill not prove a problem, I think. But i have some questions about the "speaker part"

I have Googeld the living ##"#^* out of the internet and I'cant find the Paudio HP-10W in stock! Tips? If not i need to find a replacement i europe very soon so i can start my build. Im not 100% on the tweeter part but I think i will solve that one myselfe.

Is there any way to mute one side of the boominator? I have a feeling that a switch in series with one channel isn't recommended. This could be useful if you wont to direct the sound and not force your music on every one in for example the park a nice saturday evening.

And bay the way, thanks for an amazing work on this project Saturnus. Its very appreciated!

Thank you Saturnus for your help. Im sorry im not very good with this its kinda my first time trying to asemble anything like this.

We will stick with the original boominator design then. Would you suggest getting a Amp9 or Amp6 if we want to get the maximum sound output we have no problem changing the batteries more often if we can play louder. (sorry if you already have answerd this, but i find it hard to understand some parts of your posts)

1. so in theory we could parallel 8 x hp10w to an amp9 ?

2. will it be louder if we use an amp9 instead of amp6