The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine - Page 94 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th March 2011, 04:14 PM   #931
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kblnig View Post
is hard plastic a better solution than a rubber gasket? my lid is very tightfully mounted.. but that is just from a "craftsman" point of view (i cannot rock the lid by hand at least)... i got no clue on how airtight it is and i dont know how to test for it either?
The hard plastic was for a block inside the compartment to screw the bolts into.. You still need a rubber gasket around the edge..

You can see how i did it in my boominator here: The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

It fits very snug and tightens hard enough so that no air escapes whatsoever
Old 25th March 2011, 08:38 PM   #932
rubennn is offline rubennn  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Either it's me or it's not easy to find a sealing gasket in rubber online. It has to be around 10 mm in thickness. Closest thing I've found is some weird site selling swimming equipment. They have a latex tube og 14 mm. I guess that could work, but does anyone know where to get this? Can you just normally get this at a hardware store or something like that?

Maybe I'm just searching the wrong things on google.

Thanks
Old 25th March 2011, 08:49 PM   #933
diyAudio Member

Yes, you can get in the local hardware store.
Old 25th March 2011, 09:16 PM   #934
diyAudio Member

Weatherstripping, we would call it in the US.

--Buckapound
Old 25th March 2011, 11:07 PM   #935
diyAudio Member

Alright... I'll have a look. I looked up weatherstripping on google translate and the word "tætningsliste" came out in danish. Looks like what I'm really looking for when I search google with this word. Thanks both of you
Old 25th March 2011, 11:22 PM   #936
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubennn View Post
Alright... I'll have a look. I looked up weatherstripping on google translate and the word "tætningsliste" came out in danish. Looks like what I'm really looking for when I search google with this word. Thanks both of you
You can buy rubber gasket (selvklæbende gummilister) in 'Silvan' for something like 6-10dkr/m

So its very cheap
Old 25th March 2011, 11:28 PM   #937
diyAudio Member

Yeah but they have to be like 10 mm in thickness or maybe more. It goes on the grill (which is glued on the speaker itself) so the speakers will fit with "the new design" (like darkwithin mentioned some pages back). I know what you're referring to, but that's normally like 3 mm thick or something. And when you put pressure on it, it shrinks 2/3 or something like that. I'll see what I can get in Silvan or my local hardware store (Østerbro Tømmerhandel - very local :P)
Old 26th March 2011, 09:32 AM   #938
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubennn View Post
Yeah but they have to be like 10 mm in thickness or maybe more. It goes on the grill (which is glued on the speaker itself) so the speakers will fit with "the new design" (like darkwithin mentioned some pages back). I know what you're referring to, but that's normally like 3 mm thick or something. And when you put pressure on it, it shrinks 2/3 or something like that. I'll see what I can get in Silvan or my local hardware store (Østerbro Tømmerhandel - very local :P)
We're talking about something else than you.. We're talking about a gasket round the LID of his boombox

Regarding your question..
Why go through all those troubles finding a gasket for the drivers? You could just change the measurements of the compartments to fit the right internal volume.
If your inner measures are e.g:
25x25x25 = 15,625 liters
Just make it a bit thinner and a tiny bit taller so you get maybe:
23x25x27,2 = 15,640 liters

That way you don't have to fit a homemade rubber gasket

Last edited by Phaedras; 26th March 2011 at 09:38 AM.
Old 26th March 2011, 10:32 AM   #939
diyAudio Member

I don't want to mess with Saturnus perfect construction. Plus I have already bought the wood pre-cut according to the google sketchup drawing. No turning back Besides I want this to be as Saturnus intended it to be.
Old 26th March 2011, 10:33 AM   #940
diyAudio Member

The most natural thing would be to make it longer though. However, it shouldn't be too hard to find a sealing band that compressed makes about 5mm. Just ask for it in the local hardware store. If it's a huge problem you could also get some masonite board and mount that on the inside, and cut away what you don't need. Masonite board is typically 3.5-4mm thick.

And there's also a neat side effect of the deeper placement of the driver in that if you mount the grills directly on the driver then with the deeper placement the tip of the grill doesn't protrude farther out than the front which in my opinion is more appealing aesthetically.

Hide this!Advertise here!