The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine - Page 92 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th March 2011, 04:15 PM   #911
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThokN View Post
Does it matter where in the system I connect the solar panel? Close to the battery f.x.?
Sorry I haven't replied to any of the latest conversation but I don't see how it's relevant to the topic.

On the battery itself if possible. You will want to remove any risk of the battery becoming disconnected without the solar panel also being disconnected. Using the amp on the solar panels alone will kill it.
Old 15th March 2011, 08:39 PM   #912
diyAudio Member

@Saturnus

How much do you think the sound in the boominator would be improved if the input is lineout from an ipod nano through a decent headphone amp like the PA2V2 using an amp6?

It outputs 200mW of RMS vs a lot less coming from the iPod itself..
Old 15th March 2011, 08:59 PM   #913
diyAudio Member

As far as I know the line out of the nano is exactly the same signal as the headphone out, just at a fixed volume. I hear some people actually prefer the headphone out on the nano. On the classic and touch on the other hand there's quite a big difference in SQ.

An ipod will never be an audophile music player by any standard, nor will the Boominator for that matter. It's designed to play LOUD while using next to no power, and have acceptable SQ.
Old 15th March 2011, 09:43 PM   #914
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnus View Post
As far as I know the line out of the nano is exactly the same signal as the headphone out, just at a fixed volume. I hear some people actually prefer the headphone out on the nano. On the classic and touch on the other hand there's quite a big difference in SQ.

An ipod will never be an audophile music player by any standard, nor will the Boominator for that matter. It's designed to play LOUD while using next to no power, and have acceptable SQ.
I think you missed the question

Afaik the output of the ipod nano is around 20mW.. How much do you think it would improve performance in general if i hooked it up to a headphone pre amp and fed the amp6 with 200mW instead?
Old 16th March 2011, 03:14 AM   #915
diyAudio Member

I have hooked made a tube buffer as an iPod dock, and to me, it does improve the sound, especially with stronger bass. It's possible that a headphone amp would do the same thing, as long as it can perform well with a high impedance load into the boombox rather than headphones. You have to think that battery life was a higher design priority than pumping much current on the outputs of the iPod.

--Buckapound
Old 21st March 2011, 11:00 AM   #916
rubennn is offline rubennn  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnus View Post
They changed the design of the speakers some time last year. You need to mount a sealing gaskets on the inside like those you use to seal doors or windows to prevent draft.

I don't think it looks nearly as good. The grills will then stick out some 18mm on each side. Between the rubber gasket and the driver the grill is almost flush with the front.
Darkwithin used some rubber tubes he had lying around to make the speakers fit. Looks like a good solution too. However, I don't have such tubes and I'm quite unsure what you mean when saying sealing gaskets. Something like this (which is "fugefilt" in danish)?:
Paroc fugefilt 22x50mm - 15 meter Alt i trę og byggematerialer til faste lave priser

Or does it need to be rubber? Do you have any idea on what to use instead?
thanks Saturnus
Old 21st March 2011, 11:04 AM   #917
Wubbaz is offline Wubbaz  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubennn View Post
Darkwithin used some rubber tubes he had lying around to make the speakers fit. Looks like a good solution too. However, I don't have such tubes and I'm quite unsure what you mean when saying sealing gaskets. Something like this (which is "fugefilt" in danish)?:
Paroc fugefilt 22x50mm - 15 meter Alt i trę og byggematerialer til faste lave priser

Or does it need to be rubber? Do you have any idea on what to use instead?
thanks Saturnus
Sealing gasket is "pakning" in Danish. :-) I guess that rubber is preferable to any other material, since it can seal of while not being to hard on the speakers.
Old 21st March 2011, 02:54 PM   #918
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wubbaz View Post
Sealing gasket is "pakning" in Danish. :-) I guess that rubber is preferable to any other material, since it can seal of while not being to hard on the speakers.
Alrighty then. I will have to find a shop that sells something I can use. Looks like it's gonna be quite a task since google doesn't find anything when I search it... Or maybe I'm looking the wrong place.

Another question then (leaning towards Darkwithin): Do you play with inductors to filter out some of the bass? Or do the piezos take over well at around 3500-4000? I bought the same piezos as you did.
Old 21st March 2011, 04:45 PM   #919
diyAudio Member

They are fine. The HP10W does not need filtering really. It has a very controlled and ear-pleasing natural roll-off.
Old 21st March 2011, 07:51 PM   #920
diyAudio Member

Also regarding the resistors on the new piezos: have you experimented with which value on the resistors that made them sound the best?
Is it still 150 ohm like the Zomax HP100 or less?
Does the value differ from original to replica of the new piezos?

Last edited by rubennn; 21st March 2011 at 08:05 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!