The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

It would prolly need a lot bigger enclosure than that of the Boominator, so don't think its a viable replacement..

You haven't been reading this thread fully then.. There's the Goldwood GW1058, although its not as good as the HP10w it replaces them without any substantial changes..

Also, if money is less of an option there's the SN10-MB used in the Signature design and the Deltalite II 2510, which are both more expensive than the HP10w..

Ah yes, I read even further back (guess I'm lazy) and there the suggestions about Goldwood started poppin' up. I will probably buy four of these, but then the problem comes for which tweeters/piezo I should buy. People speculated about it without coming to any conclusion. Do you have any tips? Or anyone else? Don't really know how to match them..

Hmmm.
I a few guys at Distortion last night. It's all a blur really.
Something about a Boominator, they were playing on a smaller box known as the "Two-time machine". Also, something about jingles, and daft punk, and a boominator meetup.

Hmmm. Could I perhaps have come to the right place?

If they specifically mentioned the Boominator, then this is the right place ;)

Check out the page on Facebook

Last edited:
Throwing another speaker out there, how about this:

Speaker Detail | Eminence Speaker

It's an 8" speaker, not a 10", and it's pretty cheap ($45 CAD). Playing around with WinISD, it looks like two of these in a 20L vented enclosure with similar "handle ports" can give a response and efficiency that's pretty close to the two HP-10Ws in the original Boominator box.

The response for that speaker is only linear in the 0-900hz range..

Hmmm.
I a few guys at Distortion last night. It's all a blur really.
Something about a Boominator, they were playing on a smaller box known as the "Two-time machine". Also, something about jingles, and daft punk, and a boominator meetup.

Hmmm. Could I perhaps have come to the right place?
That was us! :) It was not me you talked to though. But the "Two-time machine" is just the name for that single box...it's not a special unit like the Boominator is.

The "Two-times machine" is a quick assembly trying to mimic my build here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/construction-tips/186197-need-little-help-small-festival-boombox.html
but with wrong dimensions and stuff. But anyways, what you should build is a Boominator! 100 times better than what you heard yesterday. :D

After messing around for a bit with WinISD, here's what I came up with.

Green trace is 2*HP-10W, in a 30L box with an 82Hz tuning frequency.
Red trace is 2*Eminence Beta-8A, in a 24L box tuned to 103Hz.
Blue trace is 2*Eminence Alpha-8A, gave up tweaking it since the Beta's better and not much more expensive.

Thoughts? the Beta's looking pretty nice.

Attachments

• winisd_boominator_altspeakers.png
    winisd_boominator_altspeakers.png
    34.4 KB · Views: 367
That was us! :) It was not me you talked to though. But the "Two-time machine" is just the name for that single box...it's not a special unit like the Boominator is.

The "Two-times machine" is a quick assembly trying to mimic my build here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/construction-tips/186197-need-little-help-small-festival-boombox.html
but with wrong dimensions and stuff. But anyways, what you should build is a Boominator! 100 times better than what you heard yesterday. :D
I might ;)

Right now my roskilde setup is just a pair of Thomann The Box Pa110 powered by a Lepai Ta2020 amp.
It plays wonderfully, though it does lack some bottom to the sound.

Hello Boominator people.

I am new, both to this forum, and to the construction of soundsystems, and therefore i now hope for a little bit of help.
I have bought all the gear i need for building my boominator clone, but since i do not use the exact some drivers as Saturnus, i am a bit worried about the dimensions/volume of my boominator. i have trieded to use the AJ Designer to calculate the volume needed with the drivers i am using, but i simply do not understand the technical data/program well enough, so i hope that one of you friendly people might help me calculate the volume of air needed when i am using 4 of these drivers:

SPA-25PA

Best regards
Aagaard - Who have now used well over 60 hours just reading this thread, drooling over some of the amazing things you guys make, and trying to gather as much knowledge as possible so i will be able to finish my own boominator before the summer really kicks in:)

I actully used the same speaker last year for my boombox which wasn't calculated at the time.

I put in the speaker parametres in WinISD and calculated it for you. It will not be as small as the boominator because the HP-10W speakers are the best solution. However, if you put 2 speakers in each speaker cabinet with a volume of 35 litres (remember to add what the speakers themselves take up in volume) you will get a tuning frequency of around 92 hz if you use a basreflex tube with a diameter of 11 cm and a length of 1,5 cm. That should get you the tuning for a festival boombox.

Anyway... this is how far I can tell :)

Thanks a lot, that is really helpful.

Only thing that leaves me wondering is that the bassreflex has to be really short? Actually shorter than the wood i have used for the frame it self, so will i have to thin out the wood in the area of the bassreflex tube so that the hole will be made only 1,5 cm deep, and then cut almost all of the length of the tube, or is there any other advise?

Best regards

Aagaard

Sorry... I was assuming you were using 12 mm plywood. But in your case you can either find a wider reflex tube (though I doubt that they are made much larger than 110 mm for common use) or you can use 2 smaller tubes in each box. But I can't vouch for this since I haven't tried it yet. If you use 2 75mm diameter tubes they have to be 3.4 cm long.

I tried to tweak it a little bit more, but you can do that with WinISD Pro as well (and try to look up some guides on how you use the program - took me some time to figure out). WinISD tells me that if you use a 30 litre cabinet for each 2 speakers you will have a tuning frequency of 93 hz if you use 1 reflex tube of 110 mm with a length of 2.9 cm.

Still, this is as far as I get you I believe. Experienced users can probably tell you something else.

I can't figure out how to use WinISD :( I think there's some values missing, it can't accept my speaker when i define it.

I'm trying to calculate the SPA-10PA's ;)

This is what it looks like, when I try to save the speaker without inputting the values that I can't find?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:
Same to you Joak0068. Read a guide on how to use WinISD Pro. In this case look up how you plot in parametres for a driver.

In the guide I've read you begin with Mms and Cms. This will autocalculate the Fs which you then don't need to do anything about... otherwise you will get those errors you've got there. All the blue autocalcs are not supposed to be touched - only Znom which in your case is 8 for the SPA-10PA.

This link should get you going:
WinISD Pro Tutorial and Download (A detailed guide on how to use WinISD Pro) - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

In your WinISD Pro installation folder you can find "WinISD Pro Documentation"-file in which there is a guide to enter parameters in the correct order to avoid the save-error you mention above. Same thing happened to me the first time I used it.

Also a little tip, in the non-pro version there are a lot more pre-entered drivers from which you can take the values if you can't find them on the internet. The SPA-10A is not in there though (or I can't find it).

We have assempled the AMP6 and bought the G111 case from Brinck as recommended. But we are unsure on how to actually mount the amp inside the box, and how we should make it, so we can connect wires from outside the box.

Looking through the thread we found this post from Phaedras which gives some idea on how to do:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/clas...ab-ultimate-party-machine-15.html#post2295893

But can anyone show a picture of how they assempled the inside of the box, and have recommendations for it, including the easiest way to make holes in the alu box.

Thx in advance.