The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine - Page 75 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th September 2010, 06:41 AM   #741
euforia is offline euforia  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Closure:
Take a look at this reseller: Svebry Electronics AB

I live in Skövde and always buy my electronics from them. The box i have is the G-111 Aluminiumbox Grå 115 x 65 x 55mm. Its perfect in size BUT you have to grind of / (dremla bort) two protruding rails.
The box also have mounting holes for screwes but they wont fit the holes on the card, i solved this by adding some plastic washers.

Where do you live? would be interesting to listen to a bigger version. You can find my build at:
SFS-V2 Aka Festivalstereobygge #2 - Minhembio forum

Good luck!

By the way to you all: Is there any news or progress in the LiFePO4 batteries?
Old 24th September 2010, 10:10 AM   #742
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by euforia View Post
Closure:
You can find my build at:
Cool build, and as far as I can prata svensk, great documentation

Quote:
I know a tiny little bit about them, in general - what are you thinking specifically? (I may have missed an earlier discussion in the thread ...)
Old 24th September 2010, 10:56 AM   #743
Closure is offline Closure  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Closure:
Take a look at this reseller: Svebry Electronics AB

I live in Skövde and always buy my electronics from them. The box i have is the G-111 Aluminiumbox Grå 115 x 65 x 55mm. Its perfect in size BUT you have to grind of / (dremla bort) two protruding rails.
The box also have mounting holes for screwes but they wont fit the holes on the card, i solved this by adding some plastic washers.

Where do you live? would be interesting to listen to a bigger version. You can find my build at:

Good luck!

Hello Euforia!

The box is now ordered!

By now you've probably already read my post in your thread. I wrote some more questions in there.
I live near Stockholm. I will gladly upload a movie when the box is completed, otherwise pherhaps we will meet at some festival 2011
I hope it will play louder then the HP10W version, thanks to the higher sensitivity of the 12" drivers.

Thank you!
Old 24th September 2010, 11:39 AM   #744
diyAudio Member

I have made something kind of similar with the exactly same bass drivers (2 of them) and piezos.

It's 33kg with 130liters of volume. Ported. I'm using 10kg car battery and 25wx2 car amp

It's huge, it looks funny as I have installed two wheels under it.

Im having serious problem with the piezos, they are way too loud, and the crossovers (12db) are not steep enough. Plus the port has resonance frequency somewhere near 50hz wich is far from optimal, when plugged to 80w amp xmax is not sufficient.
Old 25th September 2010, 09:12 AM   #745
coit is offline coit  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedras View Post
Thanks man.. Im really happy with it..

I started out with 150ohm series resistors on the tweeters and then tried out 120 and 100 aswell and the sound wasnt that great.. The tweeters couldnt really match the hp-10w's and it sounded a bit hollow..

But when i removed the resistors and just hooked up the tweeters with full signal it sounded great, so thats the config im sticking with now.. It might be because the spl of the tweeters is 95 and the woofers is 96.. I dont know - someone more knowledgeable might be able to clarify this :-)
I have the HP-10W's with 93dB piezos.
I'd be interested in Saturnus's (or others') replies.I thought you needed the resistors to remove the piezo's bottom end harshness? Will their removal give greater output from the tweeters?
thanks
Paul
Old 7th October 2010, 07:19 AM   #746
Closure is offline Closure  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Default Update of the 4 x 12" Boominator.

An update of the 12" Boominator!

We have been manufacturing during some weekends for some time now, wich so far have resulted in an mock-up of the cabinet (no glue added, except on the vent assembly).

Click the image to open in full size.

An exploded view of the vent. This design makes the box to peak with 4 dB @ 115 Hz. The tuning frequency is approximately 55 Hz. Tuning it higher would make the peak even louder...

A look from the inside. We found a piece of PVC tubing that fitted the holes made by the saw-drill near perfect.

Outside look. We plan to add fillets (a rounded chamfer?) to the inside edges of the holes.

The same piezos as Phaedras. Unfortunately, three times as expensive here in Sweden compared to Dejlige Denmark...

As you can see I haven't added any high pass filters yet. I plan to cut the frequency at around 80 - 100 Hz to extend the life of the elements beyond the first night of battering... I have some resistors for the tweeters, but after reading about Phaedras box, I'm not sure that I'll use them.

So, what's left to do?
  • The design will probably be Tuborg-inspired...
  • The hinge for the hatch to the middle compartment will be looking like this, and hidden inside the box:
  • The corners will be fitted with aluminium profiles.
  • Some kind of LED-lighting will be added.
  • One power switch and one lighting switch will be added.
  • Eventually a photovoltic panel will be added.

Playing it in the open air made me realize that compared to its predecessor, it's loud as hell!

Thats all for now!

/ Daniel
Old 25th October 2010, 04:51 PM   #747
kblnig is offline kblnig  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedras View Post
Hey guys

I've been browsing this and other forums for a while and little more than a month ago i decided to build my own boombox.. The boominator was an excellent inspiration and i've built something quite similar..

I shot some pictures while making it.. Enjoy
Hi there phaedras. How did you dimension your relex ports and where did you get those plastic tubes for i? i saw in an earlier post that could not figure out to do so, but maybe knowledge came your way?
Old 28th October 2010, 04:13 PM   #748
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kblnig View Post
Hi there phaedras. How did you dimension your relex ports and where did you get those plastic tubes for i? i saw in an earlier post that could not figure out to do so, but maybe knowledge came your way?

Hey mate, I used a free program called WinISD.. Its mentioned several times in this thread and its an excellent ressource!

I bought the reflex ports at a place called CC Pro Shop here in Denmark, they wern't that expensive, but im sure you can find some cheaper on the internet.. I paid approx 10$ for each of them!

Last edited by Phaedras; 28th October 2010 at 04:15 PM.
Old 2nd November 2010, 09:40 PM   #749
diyAudio Member

I'm creating a mono boominator that is designed be to lightweight and "extremely loud", and want feedback about the feasibility of the design.

The design philosophy is to use neo woofers for lightness, to keep the overall weight below 15 kilos. I've done a fair amount of searching for drivers with enough efficiency to be "extremely loud", during peaks, which I define as over 90 db at the lister's position and ~110 dB at one meter.

Before I list the driver, let me say I figure that an 8 ohm low frequency driver with about 95db sensitivity will be able to reach 110db with an sure 100 watt amp, which can deliver 32 watts in 8 ohms and should roughly provide 15 db of amplification over the 1w/meter baseline.

This may seem like a lot of wattage for a portable battery operated device, but I figure the 32 watts will only be used on peaks, and the rest of the time it will be used at much lower wattages. I'm using two 5 ah/12 v SLA AGM packs and am planning on getting a 24 v solar charger with two 12v panels totaling over 10-15 watts.

Given these weight and loudness design goals, I've purchased this driver to build a mono boominator:

The Faital Pro 8PR200
FaitalPRO - Neodymium Professional Drivers

It weights only 2.5 kilos, it has about 95db efficiency. The frequency response looks fairly smooth up to 1.5 kHz. Since I like bass, i was impressed that the Fs was a reasonable 58 Hz, the Xmax is reasonably large, and and the Vas is only 18 liters. The low Vas means that I can use a ported design to get some deep bass from the driver (in theory). I'll need over 14 liters of space, and currently am planning on using a crossbraced aluminum suitcase (see The BoomCase By Mr. SiMo for similar cabs). With a lot of space, I can tune the port lower and down to 58 Hz.

I haven't looked at the acoustical limits of this driver yet, but am going to use bassbox software to see where the driver breaks up and protect it. I'm planning on using a 24db electronic crossover at 50 hz to protect the woofer.

Any thoughts on the feasibility of getting ~110 db with 32 watts and with one of these drivers?

Last edited by bluewhale; 2nd November 2010 at 09:45 PM.
Old 4th November 2010, 07:31 AM   #750
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewhale View Post
Any thoughts on the feasibility of getting ~110 db with 32 watts and with one of these drivers?
32W is exactly +15 dB over the 1W measurement so yes, it's possible.

Hide this!Advertise here!