The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine - Page 63 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th June 2010, 11:48 AM   #621
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glt View Post
Also are the initial recommendations still valid after 3 years (10 inch P.Audio/Goldwood driver, LeadAcid batteries, solar cells, T-amps)
You might look into the newer Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries (LiFePo). They put out a bit more voltage, have more power for their size and weight, longer service time and recharge more much quickly than lead-acid cells, which will have to be replaced every couple of years or so. LiFePo cells also don't have the overheating problem that lithium polymer cells do. Initially they put out less power than the polymer type, but over time they don't lose their capacity as quickly and in the long run perform better.

--Buckapound
Old 12th June 2010, 12:07 PM   #622
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckapound View Post
You might look into the newer Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries (LiFePo). They put out a bit more voltage, have more power for their size and weight, longer service time and recharge more much quickly than lead-acid cells, which will have to be replaced every couple of years or so. LiFePo cells also don't have the overheating problem that lithium polymer cells do. Initially they put out less power than the polymer type, but over time they don't lose their capacity as quickly and in the long run perform better.

--Buckapound
I doubt LiPO-batteries would overheat in boombox use. In RC use they can because the RC-cars suck huge amounts of current.
At the moment im just about to order LifePo or LiPo. Hard decision.
Old 12th June 2010, 01:27 PM   #623
diyAudio Member

All those things are expensive, so I was mainly concerned about useful service life, and with what I was looking at, the LiFePo batteries seemed to be longer-lived.

Oh, and I was thinking more about overheating during charging, like the exploding computer batteries thing. Probably not a real problem with good batteries and a proper charger.

--Buckapound
Old 12th June 2010, 01:35 PM   #624
r0b is offline r0b  Germany
diyAudio Member

If you can get them, take the fe ones. You do need a different chrager though. I've got a proper RC-Charger (only LiPo), thats why I got some cheap lipos from dealextreme (~$6 for 2x2500 mAh).
There are not many sources for Lifepo around yet either (at least the last time I looked), and I think there are not many chragers around either. But it definetely is the better technology (for our application).

Regarding LiPo safety: Don't be stupid and its not dangerous...
Old 12th June 2010, 02:38 PM   #625
diyAudio Member

Havent decided on the batteries yet but ive settled with the woofer. Its going to be a P. Audio WN-8R

What do you think about this tweeter for ghettoblaster use?
Neodymium-HiFi-Hochtöner, 80WMAX, 8Ω (DT-25N) bei Trenkenchu & Stadler GbR

Saturnus has recommended P. Audio PHT 407-tweeter, but i dont want to use it because of the weight(0.9kgs each).

I might even go for 28x 18650 Lithium Ion batteries, but it is going to be a big hassle with the wiring. Comparing it to LiPo's u save one kilo of weight with the same amount of voltage and ampeers per hour.
Old 12th June 2010, 02:42 PM   #626
diyAudio Member

Here's where I got mine:

BatterySpace.com/AA Portable Power Corp. Tel: 510-525-2328 - LiFePO4 Cells / Packs

This unit:

Customize LiFePO4 Battery Pack: 12.8V 6.6Ah (84Wh. 14A rate) + Bag + Fast Smart Charger with customer provide connectors (7.92)

Charges in about half an hour.

--Buckapound
Old 12th June 2010, 09:36 PM   #627
diyAudio Member

... I can also vouch for the BatterySpace LiFePO4 batteries. I built a 2600mAh pack to use with Tripath amps, and they really work exceedingly well. The charger is fine, too. Fast service, no complaints.
Old 12th June 2010, 09:59 PM   #628
rubennn is offline rubennn  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Hey.. I just registered so I could post a picture of my project. I have been following this thread and I must say that I have become a lot more enlightened by you all. Thanks everyone and thanks Saturnus for your incredible support and guiding.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 13th June 2010, 08:51 AM   #629
Shik is offline Shik  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Damn it, project failed, while testing amp6 with car battery I got nothing but silence.
Maybe it is my soldering of the cables to + and GND that has gone wrong.
This is frustrating!
Old 13th June 2010, 12:00 PM   #630
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shik View Post
Damn it, project failed, while testing amp6 with car battery I got nothing but silence.
Maybe it is my soldering of the cables to + and GND that has gone wrong.
This is frustrating!

You did remember to put on the SLEEP jumper, right?

Hide this!Advertise here!