The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

HI
My friends and i are building a boominator for roskilde festival 2011 but neither of us have tried it before. before i start placing orders at various websites i want to find if it would work if i hook 4 Goldwood GW-1058(Goldwood GW-1058: 10" 200W "Huntington Series” Woofer, Discount Prices on Goldwood GW-1058: 10" 200W "Huntington Series” Woofer) to an AMP-6, or have i misunderstood the last 104 pages???

i hope you can help me :D

That GW-1058 is not the one I have recommended. That is this one. Please note there's huge differences: Goldwood GW-1058 10" Pro Woofer

EDIT: appearantly that version from partsexpress is not made anymore, and the other one has replaced it. I cannot recommend the new version.

Seems the only one that will give a satisfactory result is the HP-10W.

Last edited:
So what about the AMP6-B? Would that be easier? Actually my dad should be able to help :) He has built a computer from scratch when he was younger :p

He must be around my age. I also built a ZX81 as a kit computer when I was about 13. Yes, the amp6b is a lot easier to make. But with patience, and a father overseeing the more difficult stages are done correctly, then I think you could also make an amp9b. Just remember, plan it out well in advance. Never rush anything.

HI
My friends and i are building a boominator for roskilde festival 2011 but neither of us have tried it before. before i start placing orders at various websites i want to find if it would work if i hook 4 Goldwood GW-1058(Goldwood GW-1058: 10" 200W "Huntington Series” Woofer, Discount Prices on Goldwood GW-1058: 10" 200W "Huntington Series” Woofer) to an AMP-6, or have i misunderstood the last 104 pages???

i hope you can help me :D

I'm very happy with these drivers. I put them in a 1.5 cu.ft. (42L) ported cabs. In room response, I get strong bass down to 35 Hz. Outdoors, I'd expect the response to be more in line with what I modeled them for (F3 at 50Hz). The pic is wrong on that site. Parts Express has the correct pic for the driver.
Goldwood GW-1058 10" Pro Woofer

I'm very happy with these drivers. I put them in a 1.5 cu.ft. (42L) ported cabs. In room response, I get strong bass down to 35 Hz. Outdoors, I'd expect the response to be more in line with what I modeled them for (F3 at 50Hz). The pic is wrong on that site. Parts Express has the correct pic for the driver.
Goldwood GW-1058 10" Pro Woofer

Actually that's not entirely correct. The pic from partsexpress is correct only for the old version. The new is very different. Here's the specification pdf directly from goldwood sound

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...Xc3NEJ&usg=AFQjCNElVMLn3ogO_yCZXprCjxpkOL8dGQ

Okay I finished my first try on the boominator. As you may have noticed I have not done it completely as Saturnus intended. Magnets are not touching, grills are not mounted on the inside, solar panel doesn't fit on the top and some other stuff. I think I overestimated my skills building this boombox... Yet... I'm still shocked over the output this bastard can deliver and how well it sounds! I can't wait for amp, speakers and piezos to be burned in to have another listen. This boominator is for my sister's camp and it's gonna play at her birthday tonight.

So how did it go?

Actually that's not entirely correct. The pic from partsexpress is correct only for the old version. The new is very different. Here's the specification pdf directly from goldwood sound

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...Xc3NEJ&usg=AFQjCNElVMLn3ogO_yCZXprCjxpkOL8dGQ

When did they change? The drivers I bought last year looked like the PE ones. The one in the Goldwood PDF is the one they used for all of the Huntington series pix. No way can the Qts be .39 if the magnet is that small (judging by the pix). The magnet is supposed to be 50oz.

Here's one in my speaker.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
So how did it go?

Amazing! Thanks for asking by the way. The party was held in a big theatrical hall with a scene and very bad acoustics. But sound quality wasn't that important here - the output from the boominator was perfect. Loud enough to dance to just next to it and not loud enough to talk to each other if you went 5 meters away (still you had you talk loudly).

Actually, Saturnus... The best thing was the day after when everybody were hung over. It was great weather outside and in my parents backyard we took the stereo out to play while sitting and talking at fairly low volume. The sound is so clear and the bass is so well controlled when outside! Just listening to the boominator made me smile because it was such a pleasure.

And that's what's great about this stereo - you don't have to play loud for it to make it sound good. A lot of times you'll probably just keep it at low/medium volume while playing some backgammon/cards, talking to each other over a cigarette and a beer (and the bonus will be that you will save power). And the boominator delivers!

I'm definately gonna build one for my camp this year, but I'll change the thickness so the speakers will fit. My only real concern is to carry it around at the festival, because you need 2 people for that. Otherwise it is really too heavy. And I don't really have an idea for a wagon (I know you can buy one in Harald Nyborg for around 300 DKK but that's really a shitty one even though it's cheap).

Thanks for the interest ;)

Last edited:
Amazing! Thanks for asking by the way. The party was held in a big theatrical hall with a scene and very bad acoustics. But sound quality wasn't that important here - the output from the boominator was perfect. Loud enough to dance to just next to it and not loud enough to talk to each other if you went 5 meters away (still you had you talk loudly).

Actually, Saturnus... The best thing was the day after when everybody were hung over. It was great weather outside and in my parents backyard we took the stereo out to play while sitting and talking at fairly low volume. The sound is so clear and the bass is so well controlled when outside! Just listening to the boominator made me smile because it was such a pleasure.

And that's what's great about this stereo - you don't have to play loud for it to make it sound good. A lot of times you'll probably just keep it at low/medium volume while playing some backgammon/cards, talking to each other over a cigarette and a beer (and the bonus will be that you will save power). And the boominator delivers!

I'm definately gonna build one for my camp this year, but I'll change the thickness so the speakers will fit. My only real concern is to carry it around at the festival, because you need 2 people for that. Otherwise it is really too heavy. And I don't really have an idea for a wagon (I know you can buy one in Harald Nyborg for around 300 DKK but that's really a shitty one even though it's cheap).

Thanks for the interest ;)

No, it's me thanking you. It's really nice to get confirmed that other people also appreciate the hundreds of hours I've spent calculating, building, listening, measuring, re-calculating and re-building have not been in vain.

Yes, it can play loud and well, use very little power doing so but that could be achieved in many different ways, what you describe is exactly what I aimed at and designed it for, something that sounds really good when played at low/medium volumes outside because at a festival that is what it will be doing most of the time. And then come nightfall it can still kick out a party without ever worrying about it running out of juice.

No, it's me thanking you. It's really nice to get confirmed that other people also appreciate the hundreds of hours I've spent calculating, building, listening, measuring, re-calculating and re-building have not been in vain.

Yes, it can play loud and well, use very little power doing so but that could be achieved in many different ways, what you describe is exactly what I aimed at and designed it for, something that sounds really good when played at low/medium volumes outside because at a festival that is what it will be doing most of the time. And then come nightfall it can still kick out a party without ever worrying about it running out of juice.

But this was first take! So let's see what will really happen when speakers are touching and aligned in a well cutout cabinet. I'm looking forward to it :D

Also, if you ever plan on releasing a pdf file with a lot of pics and a thorough guide on how to do every little step making the truly intended boominator I will happily donate 15 $ for your fantastic work and I bet that many other people will do the same.

Gotta love internet forum knowledge sharing! Good day, sir :)

Last edited:
Hey Guys been following the thread for some time now and it has convinced me it was time to build a boombox for Roskilde as well. So me and some friends started by ordering an amp6b, we soldered it together and tested it must admit it sounded great. Got a video of it(with bad sound) here: YouTube - Amp6 basic, first test broke down at second test :( Help needed..

But we then proceeded to test it with another pair of speakers and it shorted... Don't exactly know what went wrong, but i do know my soldering skills aren't the best, not to speak of my electronic skills. But to cut to the chase I was wondering if this amp would be a valid substitute?
NEWEST TA2020 T-Amp Class Stereo Amplifier 20Wx2+ Power | eBay UK
I'm probably going to get a electronics mechanic to take a look at the amp6b to see if it's a goner. So was just curious if the other amp could be our back up plan. And if it compared to the amp6, is as efficient and has as great sound. Thanks in advance ;)

Hey Guys been following the thread for some time now and it has convinced me it was time to build a boombox for Roskilde as well. So me and some friends started by ordering an amp6b, we soldered it together and tested it must admit it sounded great. Got a video of it(with bad sound) here: YouTube - Amp6 basic, first test broke down at second test :( Help needed..

But we then proceeded to test it with another pair of speakers and it shorted... Don't exactly know what went wrong, but i do know my soldering skills aren't the best, not to speak of my electronic skills. But to cut to the chase I was wondering if this amp would be a valid substitute?
NEWEST TA2020 T-Amp Class Stereo Amplifier 20Wx2+ Power | eBay UK
I'm probably going to get a electronics mechanic to take a look at the amp6b to see if it's a goner. So was just curious if the other amp could be our back up plan. And if it compared to the amp6, is as efficient and has as great sound. Thanks in advance ;)

You can get every part replaced at 41hz should something have happened. But just take a lepai amp instead if you need a replacement as it already has the optimum input sensitivity for ipods

Lepai TRIPATH TA2020+ Amp Mini Hi-Fi Audio Amplifier | eBay UK

So, I’ve been doing some calculations on the cabinet size…

The cabinet itself according to the sketchup schematic is 27,6 x 27,6 x 39,6 = 30,165 litres
The middle bracing with holes are 0,9 x 39,6 x 27,6 cm = 0,983 litres (minus 0,3 litres because of the holes) = 0,683 litres
The handle itself is 0,9 x 9,2 x 27,6 cm = 0,228 litres
The port volume is 0,9 x 10,4 x 4,8 cm plus 1,2 x 10,4 x 4,8 cm = 0,104 litres (0,059 litres with only the outer part of the port)
The HP-10W take up 2,1 litres each (from your previous post – is this with the old or new design of the woofers?)
The tweeters take up 0,15 litres each (also from your previous post)
I plan to make the boominator without the middle bracing again as well but still using the same port. Also I have only access to 12 mm birch plywood. As far as I can calculate the internal volume based on previous posts and the google sketchup schematic the design should be:
30,165-0,683-0,228-0,059-(2,1*2)-(0,15*2) = 24,695 litres
And for calculation of the actual cabinet size there should be speakers included (internal):
30,165-0,683-0,228= 29,254 litres
Can you, Saturnus, confirm whether these calculations are correct. I’m just trying to sum up a bit on the thread.

So, I’ve been doing some calculations on the cabinet size…

The cabinet itself according to the sketchup schematic is 27,6 x 27,6 x 39,6 = 30,165 litres
The middle bracing with holes are 0,9 x 39,6 x 27,6 cm = 0,983 litres (minus 0,3 litres because of the holes) = 0,683 litres
The handle itself is 0,9 x 9,2 x 27,6 cm = 0,228 litres
The port volume is 0,9 x 10,4 x 4,8 cm plus 1,2 x 10,4 x 4,8 cm = 0,104 litres (0,059 litres with only the outer part of the port)
The HP-10W take up 2,1 litres each (from your previous post – is this with the old or new design of the woofers?)
The tweeters take up 0,15 litres each (also from your previous post)
I plan to make the boominator without the middle bracing again as well but still using the same port. Also I have only access to 12 mm birch plywood. As far as I can calculate the internal volume based on previous posts and the google sketchup schematic the design should be:
30,165-0,683-0,228-0,059-(2,1*2)-(0,15*2) = 24,695 litres
And for calculation of the actual cabinet size there should be speakers included (internal):
30,165-0,683-0,228= 29,254 litres
Can you, Saturnus, confirm whether these calculations are correct. I’m just trying to sum up a bit on the thread.

The handle is 24mm because the port has to be 36mm long.

Both the new version of the woofer and the new version of the piezo will take up a tiny bit more volume than the older ones.

Please note that with 12mm ply the overall internal length is 393mm as the electronics compartment will take up 3mm more space.

As far as I remember I calculated the cabinet tuning for 23.4 liter to be on the safe side (calculated volume minus 1 liter).

Port area is 34cm2 (=6.58cmØ) and 36mm length, btw.

But I don't think it's a bad idea to make it in 12mm. I'll probably do the same next time just because it's a much easier cut-out plan and you can make it from the same board.

Last edited:
You can get every part replaced at 41hz should something have happened. But just take a lepai amp instead if you need a replacement as it already has the optimum input sensitivity for ipods

Lepai TRIPATH TA2020+ Amp Mini Hi-Fi Audio Amplifier | eBay UK

Hello Saturnus, Im new to this forum and Im looking into building a Boominator for this years Roskilde festival.

Im curious about this statement, what exactly is the optimum sensitivity for portable devices, and what is different with the Lepai compared to any other ebay T-amps in this regard?

Also, to anyone who odered the new tweeter from ebay, I live in Malmö and would love to buy 4 of them if anyone has any to spare.