The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

I don't think we have ordered yet (I'm not the one ordering), but if you like, you could share a package with us, but since we will buy 10 ourselves, you would also have to, but then you could maybe sell the ones you don't use? It will be 208kr for 10 pieces, and we also live in Copenhagen so that should be easy.

I just discovered that the edges on the handles are pretty sharp if you're carrying the thing around for several minutes. Have you discovered any way of making the boominator more comfortable to carry? Or am I doomed to use a wagon :p

The edges of the handle. Are you building the version where port and handle is the same, if so then, as you can see in the original pictures, it must be rounded on both sides. A 3mm rounding is good enough but I prefer 6mm rounding. That makes it perfectly fit the curve of an adult hand.

Okay I finished my first try on the boominator. As you may have noticed I have not done it completely as Saturnus intended. Magnets are not touching, grills are not mounted on the inside, solar panel doesn't fit on the top and some other stuff. I think I overestimated my skills building this boombox... Yet... I'm still shocked over the output this bastard can deliver and how well it sounds! I can't wait for amp, speakers and piezos to be burned in to have another listen. This boominator is for my sister's camp and it's gonna play at her birthday tonight.

I have to admit I was pretty concerned that this would be shitty cause I've been missing a lot of stuff. I am now relieved that that it didn't have so much of an impact on the sound quality as I first thought. There's still something for me to work with, but I almost can't imagine how good this will be if I did it exactly as Mr. Saturnus intended.

Thank you for sharing, dude :) Couldn't have done it without your help - no seriously... I couldn't.

Here's a link for the uploaded pictures (thanks to Darkwithin for the idea of uploading at photobucket.com):
Rubennn's Boominator (First try) 2011

Last edited:
Hi There..

HORN BUBBLE TWEETERS 3.5" 10 PACK PIEZO PA DJ (NTX3711) | eBay

If anybody has 2 extra of those Zomax copies I would love to take them of your hands for a nice price!

Or if anybody is ordering and wants to share shipping cost please let me know!

I'm also building a Boominator copy for this years Roskilde Festival.

Only major difference from the original design will be a LED filled plexi glass bracing around the speakers to match the new speaker dimensions.

I will grab the internals and LED's from one these to fire up the plexi glass bracings YouTube - Scanic LED PAR 64

Just one question - Have I understood it correctly that this Ground Loop Isolator Hum Noise Filter for IPOD MP3 NEW | eBay will also function as a "Signal Trafo" ie. Will it raise the input gain when using a newer ipod?
And whould you recommend a homemade Stepped attenuator over a trafo?

Thank you all, especially Saturnus, this thread is amazing!

Okay I finished my first try on the boominator. As you may have noticed I have not done it completely as Saturnus intended. Magnets are not touching, grills are not mounted on the inside, solar panel doesn't fit on the top and some other stuff. I think I overestimated my skills building this boombox... Yet... I'm still shocked over the output this bastard can deliver and how well it sounds! I can't wait for amp, speakers and piezos to be burned in to have another listen. This boominator is for my sister's camp and it's gonna play at her birthday tonight.

I have to admit I was pretty concerned that this would be shitty cause I've been missing a lot of stuff. I am now relieved that that it didn't have so much of an impact on the sound quality as I first thought. There's still something for me to work with, but I almost can't imagine how good this will be if I did it exactly as Mr. Saturnus intended.

Thank you for sharing, dude :) Couldn't have done it without your help - no seriously... I couldn't.

Here's a link for the uploaded pictures (thanks to Darkwithin for the idea of uploading at photobucket.com):
Rubennn's Boominator (First try) 2011

Looks greats.

I like your idea that you can open and close to get access to the amp and batteries, i think i will do the same with mine for easy access when batteries need charging and stuff.

Just one question - Have I understood it correctly that this Ground Loop Isolator Hum Noise Filter for IPOD MP3 NEW | eBay will also function as a "Signal Trafo" ie. Will it raise the input gain when using a newer ipod?
And whould you recommend a homemade Stepped attenuator over a trafo?

Thank you all, especially Saturnus, this thread is amazing!

Yes, it will have a slight gain of 1.3dB.

Stepped attetunator instead of a trafo, across the trafo, or before or after the trafo? I assume it's one of the last 2 options as it won't work instead of the trafo nor will it work across the trafo. I suggest it place after the trafo where it would normally be placed in the input.

Oh, and no worries. Happy to help. Also means more free beer for me :D

One of my friends asked me today if I could build a similar boominator for him just with 2 speakers instead. At first I was like "Saturnus says it's important that it's bi-polar" but then I thought of the idea of only having one side of the boominator with 1 speaker on each channel and thus running in 8 ohm. The speakers will then be mounted in the same way with magnets against each other and still have the same cabinet - there will just only be one cabinet instead of two.

Is this possible while still getting some of the benefits from the boominator theory and design? The reason he asked is because him and his camp are on a tighter budget and this would then be a cheaper solution.

Thanks Saturnus (btw I soon owe you pretty much in "beer currency")

One of my friends asked me today if I could build a similar boominator for him just with 2 speakers instead. At first I was like "Saturnus says it's important that it's bi-polar" but then I thought of the idea of only having one side of the boominator with 1 speaker on each channel and thus running in 8 ohm. The speakers will then be mounted in the same way with magnets against each other and still have the same cabinet - there will just only be one cabinet instead of two.

Is this possible while still getting some of the benefits from the boominator theory and design? The reason he asked is because him and his camp are on a tighter budget and this would then be a cheaper solution.

The first problem is that i'm not sure the amp6b would run 8 ohm very well, atleast not very load. Remember, when you parallel the two 8 ohm the amp6 sees it at 4 ohm and the speakers play almost twice as load. You could try to hunt down the hp10w in the 4 ohm versions?

The first problem is that i'm not sure the amp6b would run 8 ohm very well, atleast not very load. Remember, when you parallel the two 8 ohm the amp6 sees it at 4 ohm and the speakers play almost twice as load. You could try to hunt down the hp10w in the 4 ohm versions?

It's only possible to get the 4 ohms version in Australia (of all places).

It will only be half as loud (-6dB) with 8 ohms, on the other hand it will also use only half the power.

But yes, if you're on a tight budget and want to build something similar, it's my advice that you just build one end of the Boominator with the magnet-to-magnet construction intact. Then next year they could build the other half.

Hello, I'm building a Boombox for Roskilde Festival 2011. I was thinking of using a AMP9-Basic amp, but...

I have tried to solder like once or twice. Do you think that i can build the amp? There's no AMP9 assembled in stock on 41hz.com

The amp9b is not a beginners project, I'm afraid. You could ask on the 41hz forum if there's anyone willing to assemble one for you.