The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

Haha awesome idea! Do you have an estimate of how many boominators there are built so far (how many of these could we expect to Roskilde Festival)? Either way, we should be able to find a solution to the connecting problem. Could also be cool to make a boominator wall/tower of some sort. I saw ThokN do it in a park in copenhagen with 2 other boominators.

Anyway... I was actually in Silvan today to ask for elasticity plastic sealant and the guy who helped me recommended this (I took a pic when I came home):
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Also went for this:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Most concerned about the sealant. Is this gonna work on top of the boominator? Cause if not I'm gonna return it. Cost me 105 DKK a tube :D

Maybe we could ask Roskilde for permission (actually don't need it really but it's always good to ask first) to hog one of the agoras for a Boominator party. And place all the Boominators we can around the outside of the agora. It could become epicly loud in there.

wont that cause some troubles with phase shifts and so on when the boominators are not sharing one common amp? (i like the idea a lot :D)

You need 2 solar panels. You just connect one solar panel to each battery. That's it. For amp switching you need a 4 pole, 2 or 3 position switch and this wiring.

1234 = Connect 1 to 3, and 2 to 4 for 12V ... connect amp6b from 1 and 4
1234 = 1: Bat 1+ / 2:Bat 1- / 3:Bat 2+ / 4:Bat 2-
1234 = Connect 2 to 3 for 24V ... connect amp9b from 1 and 4

Thank you Saturnus. That is exactly what I was looking for. And I will take your advice and buy 2 solar panels. This will be so great

Thank you Saturnus. That is exactly what I was looking for. And I will take your advice and buy 2 solar panels. This will be so great

Actually rethinking it it will probably be even better to connect like this:

1234 = Connect 1 to 2, and 3 to 4 for 12V ... connect amp6b from 1 and 4
1234 = 1:Bat 1+ / 2:Bat 2+ / 3:Bat 1- / 4:Bat 2-

If you chose a 3 position switch then the center position will be both amps off.

Not sure how you'll realize the speaker output switching though, if at all.

Actually rethinking it it will probably be even better to connect like this:

1234 = Connect 1 to 2, and 3 to 4 for 12V ... connect amp6b from 1 and 4
1234 = 1:Bat 1+ / 2:Bat 2+ / 3:Bat 1- / 4:Bat 2-

If you chose a 3 position switch then the center position will be both amps off.

Not sure how you'll realize the speaker output switching though, if at all.
We will have some 'bøsninger' into each speaker compartment, so that we can shift between the two amp-outputs. We have also made the center compartment as a sort of tray that you pull out from the side of the Boominator. In this tray there will be both batteries, amps, volume knob and powerswitch etc. So the whole middle compartment can be taken out as a tray.

If we imagine that both speaker out from Amp6 and Amp9 was going into the same shared cables for the speakers, will that burn the non-operating amp or something? Or will it be okay to do? Because that would be even simpler.

I've decided to go with a 4-pole 2-way switch, and a seprate 2-pole single-way switch for the power. The power switch will be placed before the amp-switch. The reason for this is that it would otherwise not be possible to have the solar-cell connected at all times. If we used a single 4-pole 3-way switch, then the solar-cell would only be connected when the switch is set to Amp6(12V)-mode. This would also mean that we would get the benefit of the sun whenever the boominator is turned off (middle-position of the switch).

Last edited:
We will have some 'bøsninger' into each speaker compartment, so that we can shift between the two amp-outputs. We have also made the center compartment as a sort of tray that you pull out from the side of the Boominator. In this tray there will be both batteries, amps, volume knob and powerswitch etc. So the whole middle compartment can be taken out as a tray.

If we imagine that both speaker out from Amp6 and Amp9 was going into the same shared cables for the speakers, will that burn the non-operating amp or something? Or will it be okay to do? Because that would be even simpler.

I've decided to go with a 4-pole 2-way switch, and a seprate 2-pole single-way switch for the power. The power switch will be placed before the amp-switch. The reason for this is that it would otherwise not be possible to have the solar-cell connected at all times. If we used a single 4-pole 3-way switch, then the solar-cell would only be connected when the switch is set to Amp6(12V)-mode. This would also mean that we would get the benefit of the sun whenever the boominator is turned off (middle-position of the switch).

I don't know if you could connect both amp outputs at the same time. But I seriously doubt it. And regardless it will affect sound a lot.

You could also have 2 panels and just connect each directly on each battery. That would solve that problem.

I have a slightly off-topic question that I didn't find answer for elsewhere, so I hope you epert could quickly help:
It's a small ghettoblaster which I'm building for a girl-camp at Roskilde. I hope someone in here could help me approximate the cabinet-size if I have 2 of these 6½" speakers,
SP-167E
It needs to be reasonably portable and loud, soundquality not that important. The amp is based on the same chip as Amp6-B. Piezo tweeters will also be installed.

Also if they should share the same volume, and if it then has to be mono?

I know basically everything else in this build, so I just need quick help with this if you can, and not drift offtopic in several posts :)

Hi all,

partly inspired by this thread (cheers for the great info all) I built one of these:

I'm now in the process of shifting to a 2050 based amp to see how much more volume I can squeeze out of it.

Nice :) i really like the combo of a suitcase and a boombox - you can bring it everywhere!!! how is the sound?

Nice :) i really like the combo of a suitcase and a boombox - you can bring it everywhere!!! how is the sound?

Sounds pretty good, although not as much bass as I'd like. Unfortunately it was outclassed when put near proper mobile sound systems (car battery powered on bike trailers), hence the amp upgrade. I just finished sticking in the new amp and 2x12v 7ah batteries wired up to 24v and it's proper loud now. Equivalent to one of my 100w db technologies active PA speakers imo.

This thread has been awesome btw, although I'm fairly certain I need to read up on what all those speaker parameters mean - the only one I understand is SPL :D I just bought some second hand guitar drivers and stuck em in the first suitable box I found :)

this is my boombox

solar cell / diy Stepup converter 14V

400Mhz PC/104+
512MB Ram
Touch Screen.
Creative Xmod sound card.

Pink ?? Why Not it's different....

3X TPA3112 homemade amps

3x random speakers