The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th December 2007, 08:30 PM   #41
diyAudio Member

I know it won't affect battery time that much but you'd really have to be blind in the first place, and have become deaf by listening to it too long, not to notice where my boombox is even in almost zero-light conditions.

It's not that I'm against it really, and I have considered it carefully. I just don't see the need for it that much. One could always use the 12V power out to create external LED effects.

I totally love neon and LED effects in computer case modding, and use it alot myself for that purpose but for my no-nonsense boombox, I'd forego it. But as I said, if someone wants it, hell yeah, then I could go all out.
Old 18th December 2007, 10:40 PM   #42
diyAudio Member

If you did implement lighting, you could always have it on a separate switch so you could turn it off when it is not needed...

Exellent thread btw, I plan on building something once I get some drivers... I already have amp6, batteries, and a few other things...
Old 19th December 2007, 05:56 AM   #43
renfrow is offline renfrow  United States
diyAudio Member

The EL lights are generally really thrifty power wise, plus you could serialize a number of LEDs to be close to 12v, and use a single resistor to set the current for that 'strand'.

Tom.
Old 27th December 2007, 01:52 PM   #44
diyAudio Member

Saturnus: I'm looking at various driver options, and would it be possible to mount 2 instead of 4 bass drivers back to back?

Would it still give a 360 sound? I'll be going mono for bass, and only using stereo for the mid/tweeter.

I'm planning on using these drivers for the bass:

http://www.mcminone.com/product.asp?...me=MCMProducts

but the only problem is that they are a little heavy (4kg each). I'll probably go for a vented box.

These also look nice tho, and I may go for 4 of these:

http://www.mcminone.com/product.asp?...me=MCMProducts

Also they are 8 ohm, so I can wire them in parallel, and still have to channels free for the tweets.

Ifound found a 41hz AMP9 powers these really well when it's fed with ~24v.
Old 6th January 2008, 01:25 PM   #45
coit is offline coit  Australia
diyAudio Member

I was thinking of using two Amp6 Basics with paralleled inputs with each chanel driving one woofer and tweeter.
This is because the P.Audio HP-10W is also available in 4 ohm.
What do you think?
Old 6th January 2008, 06:29 PM   #46
gfiandy is offline gfiandy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi Mike,

The bass drivers you are looking at are not very high efficiency. If you want to extend your play time on batteries you might want to look at something more efficient and sacrifice a bit of bass end performance.

The Celestion TF0818 or someting like it would give you much more output for each watt. It is 94dB sensitivity vrs 87dB for the 8 inch you are looking at. Each 3dB of extra output you double the power required. So for the same sound level 1W on the TF0818 would require a bit over 4W on the 87dB efficient speaker.

However you will trade off alot of bass extension for that extra sensitivity. So it depends on if you want long play time or deep bass.

With the amps you are looking at I don't think you will have a volume problem but obviously the more sensitive speaker will also play louder before the amp clips.

Regards,
Andrew
Old 7th January 2008, 01:12 AM   #47
OzMikeH is offline OzMikeH  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hey, that looks familiar.
I rescued this one from the rubbish tip in about 1992.
Mine has flashing lamps in the middle of the drivers and a row of LEDS in a sort of VU meter above them.
Yes, that is a Marconi helpdesk sticker on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg disco sound.jpg (93.2 KB, 2936 views)
Old 8th January 2008, 01:25 PM   #48
larzman is offline larzman  United States
diyAudio Member

Nice design Saturnus. Have you completed your second version? I'm particularly interested in the solar/battery power source. Which ones will you be using?

About the lights, there was a good point made earlier about someone possibly tripping over it when used around a campsite. As this would be my my intention, and I have friends who tend to drink heavily when camping, someone not seeing or realizing where the sound-box is can certainly happen, particularly later in the evening when everyone is getting a bit drunk.

An easy, low power solution may be to mount an LED or two on each top corner of the box. This would conserve energy used and if you make 'em switchable (on/off), even better. The whole LED add-on circuitry can be added for less than $10, and it provides a nice feature for those of us who need something to "mark out" where the sound box is located so we can hopefully stagger around it.
Old 9th January 2008, 06:45 AM   #49
coit is offline coit  Australia
diyAudio Member

Further to my last post:
I mean't Saturnus parallels one Amp6 Basic into two 8ohm woofers giving good volume and good battery life.
What if I used two Amp6 Basics and drove each 4ohm woofer/tweeter with one output channel?
Will this alter the sensitivity benefits of the magnet to magnet bipole setup?
I don't understand enough about bipole speakers.
Thanks for any replies.
Old 19th March 2008, 03:43 AM   #50
BudP is offline BudP  United States
diyAudio Member

When you ghetto blaster lovers arrive at the point where you want extreme audio quality, along with extreme blast and extreme cool, please come join us over on the rejuvenated EnABL for listening thread. We can whip up some virtual patterns for you and add rockets to your pockets, for neighborhood blasting.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...93#post1460193

Or just have Saturnus drag you over. Long ago lost track of how many blasters have been treated, with just their original drivers left in place. What I see here is going to be a new art form, for sure.

Bud

Hide this!Advertise here!