The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine - Page 436 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th November 2013, 06:15 PM   #4351
diyAudio Member

Default Boominator Newbie onboard

Good Morning Everyone.

I'm a full time IT guy, and self proclaimed at home DJ, and tech junkie. That said, when i ran across the golden unicorn called the Boominator, I knew that this was a project that I would have to take on.

I think Im going to start off light by trying out the qubinator build, and I'm sure I will have 'A LOT' of question.

please be gentle....

Thanks All,

DJ1

Last edited by DeeJayOn3; 12th November 2013 at 06:28 PM.
Old 12th November 2013, 07:10 PM   #4352
WesleyK is offline WesleyK  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Speakers came in last week, tweeters should arrive somewhere this week:
Click the image to open in full size.

Design is also coming along nicely, almost finished
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12th November 2013, 08:10 PM   #4353
diyAudio Member

If possible. Stick to having the tweeters in the middle of the baffle as in the original drawing. It's calculated and measured to be the optimum position from a frequency response, diffraction and sound quality perspective. By putting the tweeter in the corner you will see a wobble in frequency response caused by an accented diffraction which in turn will have a (slight) negative impact on sound quality. For a piezo this is less critical as it kicks in at around 4KHz but due to the very high sound quality with the pht407n and that it produces sound from 2KHz and up it would be a shame not to get the most out of it.

Last edited by Saturnus; 12th November 2013 at 08:16 PM.
Old 12th November 2013, 08:27 PM   #4354
WesleyK is offline WesleyK  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Hi Saturnus,

Thanks for your feedback. I wasnt sure if it would matter seeing the mixed setups the people here have. It makes sense now you have explained it though. I will adjust my designs as I'm going for maximum sound quality. As you mention yourself it would be a shame not to put the tweeters to their full potential.

By the way, I've read that the boominator is meant to be used on a flat surface. What about some rubber feets? The ones in my design are 20mm high, would that affect the sound quality?

Last edited by WesleyK; 12th November 2013 at 08:40 PM.
Old 12th November 2013, 08:48 PM   #4355
diyAudio Member

No. Not adversely anyways. You have to lift it about 20cm above ground before you can hear an effect of it not coupling to ground. Try it yourself when you're finished. It's a very fine line about 20cm off ground where the sound suddenly change character.

Last edited by Saturnus; 12th November 2013 at 08:51 PM.
Old 13th November 2013, 07:19 AM   #4356
complit is offline complit  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Saturnus:
Is it possible to increase the length of the boominator? 6.6 cm is to small for the battery I was planning to use. So if i increase the space in the middle to 16.6 cm and increase the length of the boominator to 100 cm, will that modification do anything with the sound?

//Daniel
Old 13th November 2013, 09:12 AM   #4357
diyAudio Member

The electronic compartment in the middle can be made both narrower and wider without issues (provided that the speaker compartments stay exactly the same naturally). Although I do recommend a minimum width of 26mm and a maximum of 216mm.

Note however that the increased length makes it a lot harder to carry alone. Any reason you can't stack 2 standard 7Ah batteries on top of eachother as intended?

Last edited by Saturnus; 13th November 2013 at 09:16 AM.
Old 13th November 2013, 09:28 AM   #4358
complit is offline complit  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Because, when I looked at the sketchup drawing yesterday the height was 287 mm and one 7.2 Ah battery is 151. So they won`t fit if I stack they on top of each-other?
I have looked at three different batteries and everyone of them has this dimension:
151 x 65 x 99mm

Or am I missing something here?
Old 13th November 2013, 09:35 AM   #4359
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by complit View Post
Because, when I looked at the sketchup drawing yesterday the height was 287 mm and one 7.2 Ah battery is 151. So they won`t fit if I stack they on top of each-other?
I have looked at three different batteries and everyone of them has this dimension:
151 x 65 x 99mm

151 is the width. Not the height.

99+99=198mm height. Easily fits
Old 16th November 2013, 10:34 PM   #4360
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by complit View Post
151 x 65 x 99mm

I fit 4 7.2A SLA in mine+ dsp and amp9
Stacked someting like this:
Attached Images
File Type: png Batt.png (12.4 KB, 440 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!