The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine - Page 43 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2009, 03:04 PM   #421
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally posted by Saturnus


Yup.
Allright. Do your Zomax HP100 piezos "rattle" like explained here when playing as loud as possible on your ghettoblaster? Since mine do and i find it disturbing. Otherwise the sound of the tweeters has become better or i've gotten used to their crappy sound.
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2009, 03:37 PM   #422
diyAudio Member
 
Saturnus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Quote:
Originally posted by whelibob

Allright. Do your Zomax HP100 piezos "rattle" like explained here when playing as loud as possible on your ghettoblaster? Since mine do and i find it disturbing. Otherwise the sound of the tweeters has become better or i've gotten used to their crappy sound.
Piezo need at least 24 hour, and even better 100 hours, before their sound settles in so they've probably gotten a lot better.

Anyways, I always dampen the plastic housing with blue tac, so I don't experience any problems. I also screw the piezo element of the horn, and glue it back on.
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2009, 12:52 PM   #423
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally posted by Saturnus


Piezo need at least 24 hour, and even better 100 hours, before their sound settles in so they've probably gotten a lot better.

Anyways, I always dampen the plastic housing with blue tac, so I don't experience any problems. I also screw the piezo element of the horn, and glue it back on.
Yeah i tried also to dampen the piezo with blue tac but didn't help.
Is there any other good piezos then motorolas original piezos and zomax hp100? since zomax hp100 piezos would cost me 468 DKK(62euros) due shipping costs and its a bit too much for two piezos. Maybe ill send you money saturnus and you send them to me with cheaper shipping costs :P
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2009, 01:33 PM   #424
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
What would be a good value for a resistor for this piezo:
http://www.adelcom.net/MOTOROLA_ksn1005b.htm
3.5khz would be the crossover frequency.
Supposed to be a good piezo, just ordered two of them.
Tried to count piezo value myself, but i came out with crazy numbers.
Thanks alot in advance!
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2009, 02:56 PM   #425
diyAudio Member
 
Saturnus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Quote:
Originally posted by whelibob
What would be a good value for a resistor for this piezo:
http://www.adelcom.net/MOTOROLA_ksn1005b.htm
3.5khz would be the crossover frequency.

Thanks alot in advance!
"Appears as a 0.13 uF capacitor."

If that's correct then it's a 350 Ohms resistor from:

R=1//(2*Pi*C*f)
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2009, 03:10 PM   #426
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally posted by Saturnus


"Appears as a 0.13 uF capacitor."

If that's correct then it's a 350 Ohms resistor from:

R=1//(2*Pi*C*f)
Allright thanks. When buying new resistors, does it matter what Watt value it has? My electronic shop has only 1W and 2W versions with several ohm values.
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2009, 03:17 PM   #427
diyAudio Member
 
Saturnus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Quote:
Originally posted by whelibob

Allright thanks. When buying new resistors, does it matter what Watt value it has? My electronic shop has only 1W and 2W versions with several ohm values.
2 watts is more than enough for your purpose.
  Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2009, 02:58 PM   #428
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Wow guys! You have done totally amazing and boomblasting audio systems! Cheers for that. I'm also considering what kind of boomblaster I'm going to do. The Boominator is awesome but it's propably a little bit too much for me.

Is there any sense to use car speakers for this project? I'm thinking about Blaupunkt GTx 803 -speakers but I can't find any Thiele/Small parameters for these. What kind of enclosure is suitable for these speakers is total mystery for me... Anyhow using these speakers it would be pretty easy to make my own version of DIY blaster.

Do you second this idea or should I consider again?
  Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2009, 04:38 PM   #429
diyAudio Member
 
Saturnus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Quote:
Originally posted by Der Alte
Wow guys! You have done totally amazing and boomblasting audio systems! Cheers for that. I'm also considering what kind of boomblaster I'm going to do. The Boominator is awesome but it's propably a little bit too much for me.

Is there any sense to use car speakers for this project? I'm thinking about Blaupunkt GTx 803 -speakers but I can't find any Thiele/Small parameters for these. What kind of enclosure is suitable for these speakers is total mystery for me... Anyhow using these speakers it would be pretty easy to make my own version of DIY blaster.

Do you second this idea or should I consider again?
Thanks

Depends. It won't play very loud with those. 89 dB/W/m in 4 Ohms is very very low. You need a hundred or several hundred watt amp to make it play as loud as the Boominator and that would require a battery pack the size of a car.

However, it might be loud enough for your purposes.
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2009, 03:51 PM   #430
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Oh, I didn't notice that sensitivity is so low in these Blaupunkt's. More suitable and propably better option will be either DLS Coaxial Series 428 or DLS Performance series 126. But again, I can't find any info what kind of enclosure is suitable for these speakers, douh!!!

What I'm looking for is an allrounder boombox that beats for example the JVC's boomblaster. After all it is possible that the boominator is the one and only -concept that I'm going to build eventhough it is a little bit to extreme for me.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 02:42 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2