The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine - Page 375 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd April 2013, 01:11 PM   #3741
diyAudio Member

Default Qubinator

Hallo everybody

I am about to start building a quebinator. Is it correct understood that the battery and the amp are supposed to be underneath the recessed dish, in the gap between the 2 middle braces? And if yes, where can you then turn of the amp, and how are you suppose to recharge the battery if it is inside the sealed box?
I hope someone can answer the questions.
Old 22nd April 2013, 01:27 PM   #3742
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonasvj View Post
Hallo everybody

I am about to start building a quebinator. Is it correct understood that the battery and the amp are supposed to be underneath the recessed dish, in the gap between the 2 middle braces? And if yes, where can you then turn of the amp, and how are you suppose to recharge the battery if it is inside the sealed box?
You mount plugs and switches on the recessed dish. That's what it's there for.
Old 22nd April 2013, 01:44 PM   #3743
diyAudio Member

But where is the recessed dish suppose to be mounted? because if it is inside the box, I can't see how I should use the switch.
Old 22nd April 2013, 02:40 PM   #3744
diyAudio Member

Quote:
But where is the recessed dish suppose to be mounted? because if it is inside the box, I can't see how I should use the switch.
You'll figure it out eventually.
Old 22nd April 2013, 06:41 PM   #3745
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hallo everybody

I also wonder about how to turn on and off the amp and the battery. My battery has an on/off-switch on the box itself and the same with the amp. Now if these two are conealed inside the Qubinator, with just inputs to load the battery and an in-signal for the amp, how would I be able to turn the amp and the battery off?
Old 22nd April 2013, 07:55 PM   #3746
diyAudio Member

Default Improvise

Quote:
Originally Posted by hejbabi View Post
I also wonder about how to turn on and off the amp and the battery. My battery has an on/off-switch on the box itself and the same with the amp. Now if these two are conealed inside the Qubinator, with just inputs to load the battery and an in-signal for the amp, how would I be able to turn the amp and the battery off?
Extend the wires that go to the battery switch to a new switch that you mount in the recessed dish. Cut another hole in the recessed dish that is as big as your amp case, slide the amp case into the hole with the switch and the volume control facing out (next to the switch that you've just fitted for the battery) and glue the amp into the hole with epoxy). If the amp has a front flange, drill small holes in the flange and fix to the recessed dish with self tapping screws.... The recessed dish fits in the hole in the side of the qubinator so you can access the switches and controls....You need a good ruler, drill, jigsaw a file and lots of ingenuity..... The whole point of DIY audio is to figure some things out for yourself, Saturnus has done the difficult stuff, the rest is up to you....
Good luck
Old 22nd April 2013, 08:54 PM   #3747
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brummiejon View Post
Extend the wires that go to the battery switch to a new switch that you mount in the recessed dish. Cut another hole in the recessed dish that is as big as your amp case, slide the amp case into the hole with the switch and the volume control facing out (next to the switch that you've just fitted for the battery) and glue the amp into the hole with epoxy). If the amp has a front flange, drill small holes in the flange and fix to the recessed dish with self tapping screws.... The recessed dish fits in the hole in the side of the qubinator so you can access the switches and controls....You need a good ruler, drill, jigsaw a file and lots of ingenuity..... The whole point of DIY audio is to figure some things out for yourself, Saturnus has done the difficult stuff, the rest is up to you....
Good luck
Thank you for your answer my good sir. This would have been an excellent idea, there is just a tiny problem. My amp seem to be a bit large. Let me show you: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...4/boombox1.PNG
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...4/boombox2.PNG

The only solution I could find was doing this: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...4/boombox3.PNG

I guess I could do that, but would that ruin the sound or something? Other than this all I can think of is increasing the the total size of the box. Any other thoughts?

Edit: or is it maybe just easier to put the amp outside of the Qubinator?

Last edited by hejbabi; 22nd April 2013 at 09:00 PM.
Old 22nd April 2013, 09:01 PM   #3748
diyAudio Member

How about option 2 but turn the amp 180 degrees.
Otherwise just remove the amp innards and mount directly to the recessed dish.
BJ
Old 22nd April 2013, 09:42 PM   #3749
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brummiejon View Post
How about option 2 but turn the amp 180 degrees.
Otherwise just remove the amp innards and mount directly to the recessed dish.
BJ
Also a very good idea, but sadly it still interfere with the blocks in the middle.
Do you mean like this: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...4/boombox4.PNG
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...4/boombox5.PNG
?
It's an idea... Looks kind of ugly though.
Old 22nd April 2013, 09:51 PM   #3750
diyAudio Member

No, I meant like your 3rd pic, sorry.... Just move the amp to the top edge but keep it vertical, there may just be enough clearance for the HP10....
Something to consider tho is that a big lump like that is changing the box volume.....

Hide this!Advertise here!