Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th April 2013, 08:10 PM   #3711
diyAudio Member

Flipboy02,

never buy high capacity li-po batteries!

No, heavy chamfering would not improve but instead degrade the sound.
Old 16th April 2013, 08:48 PM   #3712
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stevodude
Quote:
Originally Posted by hejbabi View Post
So my question is: should I do it the simple way and buy the JBL 938 speakers and the Lepai, or should I sit down and learn a whole lot about speakers/resistanses/ohm etc etc and try to create a replica of your monster?

And also, is the JBL938+Lepai a good setup? Do you have any other suggestions for an easy setup?

hejbabi
The answer is: Do it the simple way, use the boominator design. This includes buying 4 x hp10w's, 4 x piezo tweeters, an Amp basic and some marine ply. There is no alternatives :-) only the best.
Old 16th April 2013, 09:04 PM   #3713
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevodude View Post
The answer is: Do it the simple way, use the boominator design. This includes buying 4 x hp10w's, 4 x piezo tweeters, an Amp basic and some marine ply. There is no alternatives :-) only the best.
But wouldn't this require me to use filters etc? I don't know anything about those things. I also don't know anything about soldering.

Found this on DX btw: SMSL SA-S3 Digital Hi-Fi Amplifier in black - TA2021B Class-T, 2 x 25W
Apparently it uses a TA2021b... Anything of interest?

Okay I'm asking you Saturnus, what would you have me do?

hejbabi
Old 16th April 2013, 09:08 PM   #3714
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevodude View Post
I take it your camping outing went well then.
Old 16th April 2013, 09:47 PM   #3715
diyAudio Member

Hi guys I am not exactly looking to build a boominator at the moment but something similar so I thought I would come here and let you know what I planned on doing.

I was planning on using an old ammo crate as my box and using focal access component speakers all around. I'm probably just going to go with a car stereo since it seems to be the most user friendly and full of features. Bluetooth audio, usb, cd, EQ and so on. I was also planning to use a 12v 20ah lithium ion battery but I see the post above Saturnus says not to use them. Which is really what prompted me to post.

Just like to know from people with experience what works and what doesn't.

Oh also I didn't have time to build anything right now so I had someone build a small box for me. I was planning on using the same headunit in the ammo crate. I added a couple of pictures. We use it outback when we BBQ.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 539669_10151638774029575_838222061_n.jpg (52.7 KB, 255 views)
File Type: jpg 61487_10151638775229575_682186622_n.jpg (56.1 KB, 241 views)
Old 16th April 2013, 09:53 PM   #3716
diyAudio Member

These solar panels look like they might just about fit

B grade Solar-Powered 12V 12W Battery Charger : Maplin Electronics

BJ
Old 17th April 2013, 03:47 PM   #3717
rjsaenz is offline rjsaenz  United States
diyAudio Member

Here is my portable party backpack I have been perfecting this for the last 10yrs. It weighs 12lbs total, backpack, speakers, amp, and battery. Has great sound. It's loud and has a very clean sound. I ski with it.

Speaker Backpack - YouTube

In the wild Copper Mountain Colorado.

Perfect Spring Day at Copper Mountain April 2013 - YouTube
Old 17th April 2013, 10:33 PM   #3718
rjsaenz is offline rjsaenz  United States
diyAudio Member

WOW ! I wish i knew about this forum 10 years ago !! Just joined today to brag about my backpack. I have been looking around and reading all day!! Lots of great info Awsome projects!! I'm hooked.!

Saturnus cool boominator! As the great boominator once said " I'll be Loud"
Old 18th April 2013, 11:30 AM   #3719
diyAudio Member

Okay guys as you don't answer I will not bother you anymore. However I just have one question. The JBL GTO-938 has an impedance of 2Ohm, but most of the amplifiers uses 4Ohm or 8Ohm.
Will I be able to use 2Ohm speakers with amplifiers that use 4Ohm? Do I have to get a resistor/converter of any kind for this purpose?
Old 18th April 2013, 12:37 PM   #3720
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hejbabi View Post
But wouldn't this require me to use filters etc? I don't know anything about those things. I also don't know anything about soldering.
All information you need to build one is in this thread, most of it compiled in the wiki at Boominator. You don't need soldering or woodworking experience, although it helps.

Please keep in mind this is Do It Yourself audio. People here answer questions out of interest only. You are required to do the background research yourself. No projects (that I know of) here have step by step guide, and I'm not going to make one. Nor should anyone.

Last edited by Saturnus; 18th April 2013 at 12:41 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!