The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine - Page 361 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th March 2013, 09:09 AM   #3601
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnus View Post
steveodude,

Any type of chalk or (non-corrosive) silicone will do for the piezos. I recommend silicone as that absorbs more high frequency vibrations in the horn.

To glue the woofers, both on the center brace and the baffle with grills in between I recommend chemical metal. Remember to remove the rubber band on the grill.

Click the image to open in full size.

I recommend epoxy glue (phenolic resin) for the cabinet, especially if you've gone all the way and used construction grade plywood as recommended. That's because it's much stronger but it also bonds to the glue used in that type of plywood. If you've built it with regular plywood then PVA glue will work fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnus View Post
It's been stressed several times that the silicone must be solvent-free.

Epoxy will work but I recommend silicone between woofer and baffle.

Im confused now, silicone or chemical metal to glue woofers/grills to baffle? Or do you mean, Glue woofers/grills to baffle with chemical metal, then seal around the woofer with silicone?

BJ
Old 18th March 2013, 09:14 AM   #3602
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrkie View Post
Hi, I'm looking for an alternative replacement of the PHT-407N, as the sources I've found does not ship to Sweden.
I found this one that seems to feature a very similar frequency response curve (I add this as the "recommended 5000hz 12db/oct" crossover point does not seem necessary to the boominator application given its power.

Diskanthorn

Any comments ?
Home | Speakers Intertechnik ships to Sweden (15 for 4 tweeters)
Old 18th March 2013, 09:19 AM   #3603
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brummiejon View Post
Im confused now, silicone or chemical metal to glue woofers/grills to baffle? Or do you mean, Glue woofers/grills to baffle with chemical metal, then seal around the woofer with silicone?
Woofer magnets to brace -> chemical metal
Woofer gasket to grill and baffle -> silicone (solvent free)
Old 18th March 2013, 10:27 AM   #3604
diyAudio Member

Thank you so much Saturnus, that helps a lot.....

my hole saws arived today and I'm hoping to have the tweeters by the end of this week so woofers to baffles is my job for next weekend.......

I shall order some black non corrosive silicone sealer to glue the woofers to the baffles so that if any squishes out from the behind the black grill that is inaccessible when I fix the woofers, it wont be too noticable......
My plan is to clamp the woofers by using small screws into the baffle to hold the woofers and grill in place while the silicone sets..... I have been wondering whether I should remove the screws once the silicone has set, or leave them in place for a bit of extra support but I dont want them to come loose and rattle around in the box once it is sealed shut. I may fix the screws in place by ensuring that I smear sealant arond the screw heads when sealing the woofer edges......

Oh, decisions, decisions........

BJ
Old 18th March 2013, 11:24 AM   #3605
diyAudio Member

Well. I use screws to clamp it in place while setting as well, and then remove them after.
Old 18th March 2013, 03:13 PM   #3606
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekbaird View Post
The version where the speaker chambers are tilted 90 degrees so they are vertical instead of horizontal, resulting in a taller and narrower box - does it affect sound or anything?
I dont know, if the sound differs to a normal boominator build, since I never heard one... but I also thought that especially stereo sound might sound weird, so I at least used a extra thick piece of wood to seperate the two cabinets.

In general im quite happy with the sound- only when you turn volume to the max (while hanging on a strong enough 13,5v external power supply) , the sound starts getting weird (cant describe it more accurate). however, I am not sure if that is due to acoustical properties of the cabinet, or the amp behaviour, or maybe the volume itselve... How is it with the regular boominator??
Old 19th March 2013, 10:08 AM   #3607
ekbaird is offline ekbaird  United States
diyAudio Member

Yes I use acetic acid-free "neutral cure" clear GE Silicone II. Its around everywhere here and pretty cheap.

Yes I got my piezos from Piezo Source, they are the only company that makes the original models and they're only a few towns away so shipping was cheap! (although they're pretty feather light)

My epoxy is pretty viscous and doesn't run so it would work. And there is flexible-curing epoxy as well. Saturnus you use only silicone to stick together the baffle assembly and remove the screws? Does silicone work as a glue that well? It would be annoying to use screws and ugly on the front too, but I would think it makes the box more secure.
Old 19th March 2013, 12:59 PM   #3608
diyAudio Member

Hello,

I'm building a bicycle soundsystem for the critiaclmass ride based on boominator. Already have a working AMP6 and am currently using it with two small speakers that fit on a bike rack.

Me and my mates decided to build our own speakers, and since none of us knows much about building them, i hope i'll get some help from you guys.

The idea is to cut the original boominator in half - one of the box will be slightly larger, containing the battery and amp (we are also planning to include a preamp for mic). Could you please take a quick look at my sketchup and suggest changes? I had to move the bass port and am a little worried about the opening top - the longterm plan is distributed sound (when more system are built, we'll transmit music on a radio frequency, or maybe wifi), so i want good access to the compartment to add new stuff.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3679557/sou...20speakrer.png
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3679557/sou...20speakrer.skp
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3679557/sou...%20speaker.skp

How do you feel about this?
Old 19th March 2013, 03:49 PM   #3609
Svampan is offline Svampan  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harwi View Post
Hello,

I'm building a bicycle soundsystem for the critiaclmass ride based on boominator. Already have a working AMP6 and am currently using it with two small speakers that fit on a bike rack.

Me and my mates decided to build our own speakers, and since none of us knows much about building them, i hope i'll get some help from you guys.

The idea is to cut the original boominator in half - one of the box will be slightly larger, containing the battery and amp (we are also planning to include a preamp for mic). Could you please take a quick look at my sketchup and suggest changes? I had to move the bass port and am a little worried about the opening top - the longterm plan is distributed sound (when more system are built, we'll transmit music on a radio frequency, or maybe wifi), so i want good access to the compartment to add new stuff.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3679557/sou...20speakrer.png
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3679557/sou...20speakrer.skp
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3679557/sou...%20speaker.skp

How do you feel about this?
The idea is called a halfinator, and it has been completely covered in this thread, look through the last 100 pages, and you'll find everything you need.. If you still need some info, read it again The basics are making a solid brace to isolate the channels, and increase the height of the chambers to compensate.
Old 19th March 2013, 04:30 PM   #3610
diyAudio Member

My humble little thread is now over 2/3rd of the way to a million views.

Thanks to everyone that has dropped by and contributed so far.

Hide this!Advertise here!