The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine - Page 354 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th March 2013, 04:22 PM   #3531
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnus View Post
Not unless you have the 2x HP10W speakers on the same side. If you do then baffle step is 383hz.
Isnt that for a baffle with 300mm in width only? And why isnt the hight of the baffle considered? The low frequency soundwaves should "bend" over these edges aswell, shouldnt they?
Old 5th March 2013, 05:13 PM   #3532
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aml417 View Post
Isnt that for a baffle with 300mm in width only? And why isnt the hight of the baffle considered? The low frequency soundwaves should "bend" over these edges aswell, shouldnt they?
The width is the height

Width is this respect is just a flexible term that means the smallest dimension as a normal speaker would be higher than it's wide, width is used as synonymous with the smallest dimension. In the Boominator, the smallest dimension is the height instead.
Old 5th March 2013, 05:18 PM   #3533
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnus View Post
The width is the height

Width is this respect is just a flexible term that means the smallest dimension as a normal speaker would be higher than it's wide, width is used as synonymous with the smallest dimension. In the Boominator, the smallest dimension is the height instead.
Ok, thanks for the answers Saturnus, you really cleared things up for me!
Old 5th March 2013, 05:25 PM   #3534
diyAudio Member

Quick question, i'm looking to buy the amp6 basic, from 41 hz. Should i buy the preassembled version or the basic kit? There description does not tell me a whole lot about the difference other than its all assembled...
Old 5th March 2013, 07:44 PM   #3535
Svampan is offline Svampan  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xybercoke View Post
... description does not tell me a whole lot about the difference other than its all assembled...
There you go. Welcome aboard

@Flipboy02

It's a very fine illustration you've made, however I find it somewhat confusing. I know you're going for a very in-depth, compact, all-in-one, highly visual representation, however I think it may confuse you more than necessary. I know you try to be as prepared as possible, but I think you should just order the parts, start the project, and figure things out as you go along. Then when the beast is done, you can make a new diagram with all the knowledge you've acquired - that would be really helpful.

I don't know if paralleling the resistors in the crossover is done as you've illustrated it, will have to google some more.. And remember the tweeters should be inverted as per Magnolio's diagram:

Click the image to open in full size.

Could you elaborate on this saturnus? I've been trying to figure out what the purpose of inverting the tweeters is. Thank you for your help, learned a lot about crossovers in the last few days

Last edited by Svampan; 5th March 2013 at 08:12 PM.
Old 5th March 2013, 10:10 PM   #3536
diyAudio Member

Oh yeah...

Small video of her running..
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...79767059319976
Old 6th March 2013, 03:09 PM   #3537
diyAudio Member

What do i need, and how do i connect two boominators so they can run from the same music source?
Old 6th March 2013, 04:02 PM   #3538
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booom View Post
What do i need, and how do i connect two boominators so they can run from the same music source?
Assuming you are running a tripath in each, you use an RCA splitter, and run the same output (iPod, etc) simultaneously to each.

Heads up for those looking for batts. I just bought 4 of these cells, and paid $120 shipped to Canada
Lifepo4 40155 cells with high power and large capacity _LiFePO4 Batteries_E-Bike Batteries_A123 RC Battery|High Quality Battery|Wholesale Ebike Battery

15AH Lifepo4, with battery bars for easy install. According to endless-sphere forums these batts give around 14-15ah at 10C discharge current (150amps).
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 7th March 2013, 09:35 AM   #3539
joeoz is offline joeoz  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarsh View Post
I use a 19V laptop power supply to feed the solar charger in my Boominator for home charging. I use a separate solar panel which plugs into a connector on the box, laptop adapter plugs in there instead of the panel. Pretty simple.
Hi all,

This sounds like a good way to cater for the charging options. I don't have a spare laptop power supply, so I was wondering whether I could use my SLA battery charger instead. Would these two options work (interchangeably)?

A) 12V SLA battery charger -> (DC jack) -> solar charge controller -> SLA battery

B) 12V solar panel -> (DC jack) -> solar charge controller -> SLA battery

The common connection point would be the (DC jack) which is a female connector on the boombox itself. So, you could either connect the SLA battery charger using trickle charge (when running off mains) or disconnect it, and then connect the solar panel instead (when out and about).

So, the question is... can I use an SLA battery charger in this way?

Thanks!
Joe
Old 7th March 2013, 09:55 AM   #3540
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeoz View Post
So, the question is... can I use an SLA battery charger in this way?
No. An SLA charger measures the battery while charging. Putting it in front of the solar charger will make it unable to detect the battery so it won't turn on.

A solar charger just needs a DC supply of sufficient voltage. You can probably find dirt cheap second hand laptop supplies on ebay.

One such as this. 16 aussie dollars including shipping seems like a fair deal (although you can ask if you can get it cheaper if you pick it up yourself seeing as it's in Melbourne as you). http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/90W-LAPTO...item337ef24b6d

Or a chinese multi-thingy with all the plugs and voltages you can dream for roughly the same. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Universal...item5653ced071

Last edited by Saturnus; 7th March 2013 at 10:04 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!