The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine - Page 353 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2013, 09:19 AM   #3521
diyAudio Member
 
Saturnus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by brummiejon View Post
Hey stevodude, looking good, how does it sound?

Just spotted these on ebay.....



5W Solar Cell panel for diy boat motorcycle 12V Battery Charger Mono crystalline

http://bit.ly/YLFJw2

They look ideal......

BJ
They're crystalline though. On the facebook page http://www.facebook.com/theboominator?ref=hl there's a link to some suitable CIS cell solar panels at a reasonable price. I think I saw some similar 5W panels.

I strongly recommend amorphous/thin film/CIS type solar cells is you live below or above the 45th parallel or you want to integrate it in the top as crystalline cells need correct angular adjustment towards the Sun or you lose a lot of efficiency. Crystalline cells also lose a lot of efficiency with rising temperature. Crystalline also don't work very well in overcast conditions or when it's early morning/late afternoon.

Amorphous/thin film/CIS panels are heavier though as they need to be made of tempered glass.
  Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2013, 10:53 AM   #3522
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnus View Post
They're crystalline though. On the facebook page http://www.facebook.com/theboominator?ref=hl there's a link to some suitable CIS cell solar panels at a reasonable price. I think I saw some similar 5W panels.

I strongly recommend amorphous/thin film/CIS type solar cells is you live below or above the 45th parallel or you want to integrate it in the top as crystalline cells need correct angular adjustment towards the Sun or you lose a lot of efficiency. Crystalline cells also lose a lot of efficiency with rising temperature. Crystalline also don't work very well in overcast conditions or when it's early morning/late afternoon.

Amorphous/thin film/CIS panels are heavier though as they need to be made of tempered glass.
I was JUST going to post about this. I got 20w of monocrystalline, and am trying to figure out a way to make the solar panels have an adjustable (angle) plate mounted on the top of the box. That or some mirrors.
  Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2013, 03:10 PM   #3523
axebay is offline axebay  Sweden
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnus View Post
They're crystalline though. On the facebook page http://www.facebook.com/theboominator?ref=hl there's a link to some suitable CIS cell solar panels at a reasonable price. I think I saw some similar 5W panels.

I strongly recommend amorphous/thin film/CIS type solar cells is you live below or above the 45th parallel or you want to integrate it in the top as crystalline cells need correct angular adjustment towards the Sun or you lose a lot of efficiency. Crystalline cells also lose a lot of efficiency with rising temperature. Crystalline also don't work very well in overcast conditions or when it's early morning/late afternoon.

Amorphous/thin film/CIS panels are heavier though as they need to be made of tempered glass.
I believe that answers my question on whether EV-Power | Solar Panels GWL/Sunny Mono 20 Wp would work. But I'm not surprised since they were so cheap and giving 20W.
How important is it that the resistors connected to the piezos are 5W, elfa only has 3W.
They also have this https://www.elfa.se/elfa3~se_sv/elfa...6-00&toc=19191 , shouldn't be a problem hooking up one or two of the solar panels of the type you recomended on the facebook page?
  Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2013, 03:16 PM   #3524
diyAudio Member
 
chris661's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sheffield
Blog Entries: 8
Get twice the number of double or half the required value, parallel or series them (respectively). This'll give you 6w of resistor, at the correct value.
  Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2013, 03:24 PM   #3525
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Hi
Im currently working on the design of my boominator. But I havent yet found what the baffle/baffle step actually is. FWIR I suspect that it is the width of the board that the speakers are mounted to, am I right? Also, how do i "calculate" the baffle?
As a third question I wonder how it comes that the port dont make sound at the tuning frequency the whole time music is playing, even though the music has no bass. Because any sound will cause the air inside the enclosoure to vibrate, which would make the port produce sound at the tuning frequency, isnt that true?
/André
  Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2013, 03:27 PM   #3526
diyAudio Member
 
Saturnus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by axebay View Post
How important is it that the resistors connected to the piezos are 5W, elfa only has 3W.
I think I recommend 2W or 3W actually.

Anyways, it's not important at all. They could be 1W for that matter. It's only if you use an amp9 (or similar) amp that you'd need a 3W resistor.
  Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2013, 03:37 PM   #3527
diyAudio Member
 
Saturnus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by aml417 View Post
Because any sound will cause the air inside the enclosoure to vibrate, which would make the port produce sound at the tuning frequency, isnt that true?
/André
Why would you need to calculate baffle step? It's bipolar, so it does not in principle have baffle step, so there's no need to calculate it.

No. Sound is not vibrating air but air waves. The volume of air trapped in the port starts to resonate when a certain frequency is played. In principle the cones of the bass does not move or produce any sound at all at that frequency. Only the port makes the sound.
  Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2013, 08:25 PM   #3528
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Hey guys.
I've been thinking about buying a couple of Neutrik NTE4 for my halfinator, but how do i wire them up with my AMP6?

I've attached a photo of how i think it should be wired

Correct me if im wrong.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nte4.jpg (284.8 KB, 313 views)

Last edited by HifiBoyDenmark; 4th March 2013 at 08:29 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2013, 08:09 AM   #3529
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnus View Post
Why would you need to calculate baffle step? It's bipolar, so it does not in principle have baffle step, so there's no need to calculate it.

No. Sound is not vibrating air but air waves. The volume of air trapped in the port starts to resonate when a certain frequency is played. In principle the cones of the bass does not move or produce any sound at all at that frequency. Only the port makes the sound.
Oh i see, well thanks for the quick answer! So I dont really need to consider the baffle thingy at all when im designing the box? Im building a boominator with only 2x HP 10 speakers
  Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2013, 09:42 AM   #3530
diyAudio Member
 
Saturnus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by aml417 View Post
Oh i see, well thanks for the quick answer! So I dont really need to consider the baffle thingy at all when im designing the box? Im building a boominator with only 2x HP 10 speakers
Not unless you have the 2x HP10W speakers on the same side. If you do then baffle step is 383hz.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 02:39 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2