Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd March 2013, 03:59 AM   #3511
blossom is offline blossom  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevodude View Post
Well I did what I should have done from the start, and that is order 2 x AMP6's from 41Hz.

Actually ordered 2 AMp6 basic sneaky's, ended up an ok price ~ $115aud total for 2 sneaky's delivered with insurance.

S.
Thats sounding better!
Old 2nd March 2013, 12:56 PM   #3512
diyAudio Member

I still can't get over how LOUD 15 watts is. I run 140w a DRIVER in my car, which can get loud, howeven taking into effect the efficiency of the drivers I chose (~95db) I guess it makes sense. As I said before, at 1/4 volume on the TA it is a VERY comfortable listening volume. Half volume is annoying.
Old 2nd March 2013, 01:05 PM   #3513
diyAudio Member

It's an efficient little beast
Old 2nd March 2013, 01:08 PM   #3514
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnus View Post
It's an efficient little beast
Have you ever had a problem with the high's being a little recessed? Do the piezos maybe need to be broken in? I am thinking maybe they (piezo's) are a little less efficient than I thought, or the woofers are more sensitive than I calculated. I did use a 47ohm resistor for each piezo as you mentioned.

I have a calibrated mic that is 0.5db 20hz-20khz maybe I should use Room EQ and sine sweep for response.
Old 2nd March 2013, 01:15 PM   #3515
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wy2quiet View Post
Have you ever had a problem with the high's being a little recessed?
You can try with a small resistor if you like but frankly I prefer it with a little lower highs. A smaller resistor won't give much extra output though. Just a little bit but it'll also make it more annoying when listening to acoustic or vocal music. A smaller resistor works best if you play mainly electronic music.
Old 2nd March 2013, 01:21 PM   #3516
diyAudio Member

Quote:
You can try with a small resistor if you like but frankly I prefer it with a little lower highs. A smaller resistor won't give much extra output though. Just a little bit but it'll also make it more annoying when listening to acoustic or vocal music. A smaller resistor works best if you play mainly electronic music.
I am playing Norah Jones now and it sounds perfect. Good call, sibiliance isn't bad.
Old 2nd March 2013, 01:32 PM   #3517
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wy2quiet View Post
I have a calibrated mic that is 0.5db 20hz-20khz maybe I should use Room EQ and sine sweep for response.
If it's measured indoors a frequency plot isn't pretty. Much better linearity when outdoors as intended. That's not to say that it flat by any hi-fi definition but it sounds remarkably well regardless. Then again, my Fostex FE206e which were used as reference in the design aren't flat either.

It's intended to to have really good bass performance (except for the really low bass which is missing completely although you most of the time forget that), and sound very natural on voices in particular and in the midrange in general. I am especially proud of the way it handles brass instruments and female voices which are notoriously difficult for a speaker to get right.
Old 2nd March 2013, 01:37 PM   #3518
diyAudio Member

Quote:
If it's measured indoors a frequency plot isn't pretty. Much better linearity when outdoors as intended. That's not to say that it flat by any hi-fi definition but it sounds remarkably well regardless. Then again, my Fostex FE206e which were used as reference in the design aren't flat either.

It's intended to to have really good bass performance (except for the really low bass which is missing completely although you most of the time forget that), and sound very natural on voices in particular and in the midrange in general. I am especially proud of the way it handles brass instruments and female voices which are notoriously difficult for a speaker to get right.
Yeah I was just surprised since I used different drivers. Here is the PDF plot of the FR from the manufacturer.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/conten...ts/55-2961.pdf

As I said, I am considering not even using the inductors I bought, it seems to roll off rather smoothly and sounds fine.
Old 3rd March 2013, 05:34 AM   #3519
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stevodude
Bit stormy today, but had to test it outdoors. Loving a bit of 'Momentary lapse of reason'.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Sent from my XT925 using Tapatalk 2
Old 3rd March 2013, 08:54 AM   #3520
diyAudio Member

Default Solar panels

Hey stevodude, looking good, how does it sound?

Just spotted these on ebay.....

5W Solar Cell panel for diy boat motorcycle 12V Battery Charger Mono crystalline

http://bit.ly/YLFJw2

They look ideal......

BJ

Hide this!Advertise here!