The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine - Page 344 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st January 2013, 04:22 PM   #3431
diyAudio Member

Saturnus,
I've created a master wiring diagram so everyone can see what it all looks like with all the different components and parts many people are trying to hook up.
If you can check it and let me know if a Schotsky Diode is still needed with the solar panels and maybe mark where any inductors are needed. I see PE carries the coils needed for the GW-1058s, I just don't know how to connect it.
I created it in Illustrator, as I am a graphic designer, and have made the components more literal instead of electronics symbols, so everybody can understand it.
I also had to use a relay because the on-0off switch I wanted to use can only handle 2.8A and would fry if I didn't use a relay (per digi-key's tech support guys).
How can post a pdf? Or can I just PM you first before it gets posted for everbody to see? Please let me know. Thanks.
Old 31st January 2013, 04:25 PM   #3432
diyAudio Member

Also, am planning to make a note on the diagram that if different (but recommended) woofers/tweeters are used, then certain changes would need to be made. And I would also mark exactly where those changes should be made.

I think having this master wiring diagram will keep you from having to repeat with the same answers over and over again.

Thanks again
Old 3rd February 2013, 06:36 PM   #3433
diyAudio Member

Hi guys, I just love this thread!

Ive built the halfinator according to Saturnus recommendation of speaker drivers.

One question, are there a possibility to lower the amplitude of the piezos, say 30% or so?

Cheers!
Old 4th February 2013, 02:45 PM   #3434
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y0shi View Post
Hi guys, I just love this thread!

Ive built the halfinator according to Saturnus recommendation of speaker drivers.

One question, are there a possibility to lower the amplitude of the piezos, say 30% or so?

Cheers!
Why would you do that? If you've built it according to recommendations you should not have to lower the volume of the tweeters.. Is it because they are harsh? Did you remember to add a series resistor before the piezoes to soften them up?

Try running pink noise through the tweeters for ~100 hours and they should sound even better!
Old 4th February 2013, 04:21 PM   #3435
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedras View Post
Why would you do that? If you've built it according to recommendations you should not have to lower the volume of the tweeters.. Is it because they are harsh? Did you remember to add a series resistor before the piezoes to soften them up?

Try running pink noise through the tweeters for ~100 hours and they should sound even better!
Thank you for your reply, Phaedras!

I think its a matter of perception and personal taste in how it should sound.

Yes they sound harsh, yes I've added a series of metalfilmresistors before the piezoz, but I'm using the crapy QLM-1005's. I love the midrange punch and it is not that important with clear treble, can you understand me there?

So, is there a possibility to lower the volume with 30% or so?

Cheers!
Old 4th February 2013, 04:42 PM   #3436
diyAudio Member

Saturnus, I couldn't find a way to attach pdf files to post here. Is there a better way to send you these diagrams. I made 4 versions (each on their own page) based on the recommended components you've mentioned. It would be great if you can check them and make comments/corrections/additions on the pdf itself, so I can work on those. Thanks.
Old 5th February 2013, 01:30 PM   #3437
diyAudio Member

I need clairfication on "low voltage" when using schottky diodes. Can someone specify a max voltage (8V or 10V)? Thanks.

"Put TWO low voltage schottky diodes into the input + port of your charge controller.
The diode's stripe goes closest to the charge controller.
Connect the solar cell to one of the schottky.
Connect laptop charger (SMPS) to the Other schottky.

Solar >| Charge controller
SMPS >| Charge controller
(One charge controller, two diodes, two sources)
Old 9th February 2013, 03:58 AM   #3438
diyAudio Member

Hey guys,

So if you remember back a few posts, I had an issue with one channel of drivers only playing mids and highs, but no bass at all. I have measured the impedance of both channels, and they both read 4 ohms. So, it looks like I do not have broken voice coils.

Is there any way that one of the resistors (47K) I soldered onto each piezo to smooth the crossover, is messing with the drivers? I just clicked that the drivers sound like they've have a HPF on them. Could one bad resistor (I'm sure wiring is right) have affected the drivers too?

Cheers! Long live Boominator
Old 10th February 2013, 12:13 AM   #3439
diyAudio Member

Oops- meant 47 ohm
Old 10th February 2013, 04:15 AM   #3440
diyAudio Member

Saturnus,
I sent you a PM with were to download those diagrams I created. thanks.

Hide this!Advertise here!