The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine - Page 341 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th January 2013, 08:15 PM   #3401
diyAudio Member

"I also included two USB chargers, a solar controller, optional 15v mains charging via controller, two 10w epoxy resin solar panels from china"

whalebreath,
What parts did you use for this? I Really like your build, and would like to do the same for my own.
Old 17th January 2013, 09:49 PM   #3402
diyAudio Member

Default New solar cells

For a long time there seemed to be no amorphous solar cells that matched the Boominator for an affordable price. However, recently the emergence CIS and CIGS thin film panels have changed this.

For example this 10W CIS panel will fit the Boominator pretty snuggly. The 298mm panel is actually 294mm with the frame removed. It's fairly amazing that thin film panel now come in the same peak efficiency as mono/poly-crystalline panel but with the added higher high temperature or low light efficiency inherent in thin film panels. So now you can actually get 2x 10W panels to fit the top of a Boominator.

This is just an example but the price is very good as well.

NEW!!! FREE SHIPPING 10W CIS solar panel, 10watt 12v amorphous solar module, 10w 12v pv panels, thin film-in Solar Energy Systems from Electrical Equipment & Supplies on Aliexpress.com
Old 19th January 2013, 07:43 AM   #3403
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UBERHAXXOR View Post
It's gotten to the point were i've started thinking about building a "Half-Boominator" but i need the help of this forum to see if im on track!

First of all, i'm planning on buying 2 P.Audio HP-10W woofers as suggested, aswell as 2 Motorola KSN1001A, the Lepai Class Tripath TA2020 and a 9800 mah Li-ion chargeable battery pack.

My main concern is that i've forgotten some important part (mainly the crossover filter, do i need it!?) as well as wiring, is it just as easy as hooking the tweeter up with the woofer and then hooking thoose up to the amp?

Last question: Would a mobile phone solar charger shorten the circuit if the mobile is both being charged by the solar charger and playing music from the audio output at the same time?
Quote:
Haven't found any edit button yet so i guess i will have to make a new post.

Anyways, i've looked over my piezo choice and found two worthy contesters:
QLM-1005 and the Monacor MPT-001

I'm wondering how much of a downgrade these will make instead of the KSN1001a i was originally planning, aswell as if the two new piezos need any crossover filters or resistors and if they can be wired up with the rest of my purchases (see the post over this one)
Any answer would be greatly appreciated, the QLM vs MPT vs KSN is the last question i need to get answered before placing an order.
Old 19th January 2013, 05:02 PM   #3404
diyAudio Member

Saturnus, Would I be ok, using only one 10watt amorphous solar panel, like you recommended above. Or would I need 2?
Old 20th January 2013, 05:34 AM   #3405
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stevodude
Could not find an answer in here, and possibly can google one, but has anyone built or know a simple pre built low voltage cutoff for the batteries? I've heard that if they do keep running completely flat they do loose AH's or die completely.
Would be nice to have a simple circuit to shut the amp off once it goes below a certain voltage, or a warning led.

S.
Old 20th January 2013, 05:42 AM   #3406
diyAudio Member

Looks like this 12 Volt Battery Low Indicator LM741 - Electronics
is the go.

pretty simple to build and I can probably use an LM1458 (Dual LM741) and 2 LEDs and have a 'low battery warning' yellow led, and a 'you should really charge it up warning' red led.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 20th January 2013, 12:30 PM   #3407
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Any answer would be greatly appreciated, the QLM vs MPT vs KSN is the last question i need to get answered before placing an order.
None of them. Canopy Sound - Udstyr til festivalanlæg will have custom made "bubble horn" (actually bi-radial constant directivity) piezoes that was originally intended in stock shortly. I was out with the guys from canopysound and measuring some test samples yesterday, and although we need to do some more measurements with smoothing and dampening of the horn itself they look very good.

Spike at 5.1K Hz is probably due to chassis resonance which needs to be dampened. Response is completely unsmoothed. Ignore anything below 3-4Khz.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bubblehorn.JPG (86.7 KB, 357 views)

Last edited by Saturnus; 20th January 2013 at 12:38 PM.
Old 20th January 2013, 12:45 PM   #3408
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xybercoke View Post
Saturnus, Would I be ok, using only one 10watt amorphous solar panel, like you recommended above. Or would I need 2?
One is fine. It would affect the time you can go before you need to recharge your batteries depending on use but with 2 batteries and one 10W panel like above I reckon 6-9 full days of use before needing a recharge. With 2 panels you would most likely never need to recharge the batteries at all.

Naturally also depends on how much Sun there is.
Old 22nd January 2013, 08:33 AM   #3409
diyAudio Member

I wasn't going to go the solar panel route, but I think it's a better idea in the longrun anyway!

Forget the charge led circuit.

so instead If I get a Solar panel charger controller regulator, as it has all that built in!

Click the image to open in full size.

Comes with

over-load protection
short circuit protection
protection from the lightning strike.
under-voltage protection
over-charging protection

and less than $20

Just got to find a cheap supplier of 10W CIS solar panel's in AU :-)
<edit> found some 10W CIS solar panel, 12v amorphous solar module, 10w 12v pv panels, thin film with the following:
428 * 298 *16mm, 2.5kg
$70.00 posted from China

Or am I still better of getting them from AliExpress for $74.59including postage to AU, as per your facebookpage?

Cheers, S.

Last edited by stevodude; 22nd January 2013 at 08:39 AM.
Old 24th January 2013, 02:39 PM   #3410
floxer is offline floxer  France
diyAudio Member

Hi ! this my first post on this forum thanks you all for this project and for all informations.

I would like to build a halfinator with 2 * P.Audio PHT-407N and 2 * P.Audio HP-10W
So :
1 / The best way is to go in stereo with 2 ports and with the middle bracing without holes. I'm right ( like this but without holes in the middle bracing )?
2 / I need some help about the crossover, this draw if for boominator ( 4*407N + 4*HP10W ), what would be the draw and value for a halfinator version ? Click the image to open in full size.

3 / For the ports : in this thread Saturnus say :
The port on the original is 34cm2 = 66mmØ if you make it round. You need 2 ports instead so that's 47mmØ. Still same length of 36mm.
Can i go with this value ?

Thanks for your answers !

Hide this!Advertise here!