The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine - Page 339 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd January 2013, 01:05 PM   #3381
diyAudio Member

just found a lot of these at home: NORMPLADE CE 40X160X2,0 MM - Best.nr. 9272 would one of them be enough for the heatsink for amp6 running 4 ohm speakers (hammond boxes not an option! )
Old 4th January 2013, 10:32 PM   #3382
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stevodude
couple of questions on glues, smallest to largest :-)

Mod to the piezo's:
Rope Caulk in the grooves of the piezo and on the back.
- I am guessing that rope caulk is putty rolled up in a rope shape? (don't have rope caulk at bunnings that I can see).
Alternative product for Australia?

Woofers:
to glue the woofers to the baffles (with the grill in between) - Epoxy - any particular epoxy? ie
Adhesive Parfix 35ml Epoxy - Bunnings Warehouse

Cabinet:
Can I use Selley's Aquadhere PVA+ Woodworking glue Exterior: (Industrial grade Plyaliphatic crosslinking PVA) <- what ever that means as it was taking from the blurb on the container.

I assume the PVA+ is not as strong as the epoxy, but is it not designed for cabinets?
is the reason the the epoxy is for superstrength, ie incase it falls our of a lorry :-)

ie if i'm not going to drop it out of a lorry at 40mph, then PVA+ will be fine? (assuming I paint/polyurothane the whole thing) :-)

Cheers, SteveC.

Last edited by stevodude; 4th January 2013 at 10:58 PM.
Old 5th January 2013, 08:50 AM   #3383
diyAudio Member

steveodude,

Any type of chalk or (non-corrosive) silicone will do for the piezos. I recommend silicone as that absorbs more high frequency vibrations in the horn.

To glue the woofers, both on the center brace and the baffle with grills in between I recommend chemical metal. Remember to remove the rubber band on the grill.

Click the image to open in full size.

I recommend epoxy glue (phenolic resin) for the cabinet, especially if you've gone all the way and used construction grade plywood as recommended. That's because it's much stronger but it also bonds to the glue used in that type of plywood. If you've built it with regular plywood then PVA glue will work fine.
Old 5th January 2013, 02:39 PM   #3384
diyAudio Member

Default The Boomwagon from Northern Finland

Hi, I just wanted to thank you all for making this great thread. And of course Saturnus for making this awesome Boominator design.

There's some pictures of our build: (it was build last spring)
Only minor change for original design, is that I changed dimensions to make that shorter and bit higher. And also put it in a bicycle trailer.

Almost ready boominator

Boomwagon in action

Last edited by juhomoil; 5th January 2013 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Pictures were too big for the forum, so I put just the links on post.
Old 5th January 2013, 05:26 PM   #3385
diyAudio Member

I've decided to wait for your new bracing design and since i get a little extra time for shopping I decided to get the amp6 and some better tweeters.

I read on Festivalanlaeg.dk that you recomended p.audio PHT-407T or Monacor MHD-220N/RD for this setup. Which of these is the prefered one?

I found the PHT-407T very cheap here but if the MHD-220N/RD is better i will try to find that one

Are these ok for coils

Will I still need a resistor when using real tweeters?

/Magnus
Old 5th January 2013, 07:14 PM   #3386
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnolio View Post
I read on Festivalanlaeg.dk that you recomended p.audio PHT-407T or Monacor MHD-220N/RD for this setup. Which of these is the prefered one?

Will I still need a resistor when using real tweeters?

/Magnus
Actually it's PHT-407N I recommend. If I wrote "T", that's a mistake. The "N" version and the Monacor are almost identical (the Monacor one is just an OEM version of the p.audio one with slightly different parameter but still made by p.audio). The p.audio one have better parameters for this use.

No. You will need a real filter. It's described somewhere in this thread. (Or is it on a different site? I lose track sometimes). Maybe someone will jump in and tell me where I wrote it down.
Old 5th January 2013, 11:39 PM   #3387
diyAudio Member

Quote:
You need a 2nd order Linkwitz-Riley high-pass at 2000Hz and a 2nd order Butterworth low-pass at 1400Hz. Which together with the actual frequency response of the drivers gives an acoustic 3rd/6th order Bessel filter at 1800Hz.

Remember to invert the tweeters and dampen them by 3dB with a series resistor.

Quote:
Here's a simple and fast drawing of how it should be connected. Please note that I made a mistake. The plus on the tweeters should be connected to minus on the amp, not the plus on the amp as I have drawn here.

Would this be the way to do it?
Old 6th January 2013, 03:24 AM   #3388
diyAudio Member

Saw my own mistake there but I wasn't able to edit the post.
This was how i meant:
Old 6th January 2013, 04:38 AM   #3389
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stevodude
Sorry if any of my questions on glue, but I just want to be sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnus View Post
To glue the woofers, both on the center brace and the baffle with grills in between I recommend chemical metal.

I recommend epoxy glue (phenolic resin) for the cabinet
Keep in mind that I am making 2 Boominators:

Would 1 tube of this be enough for 1 boominator, ie 4 woofers:
Polyester Resins & Adhesives Plastic Padding,chemical metal,130ml tube Henkel 360646

The epoxy glue I assume you mean similar product to araldite 2 part epoxy, or 2 ton epoxy.

Would 1 tube of 130ml be enough for 1 boominator?
Epoxy Resins & Adhesives Adhesive,2 Ton Epoxy,std cure,200ml cartridge ITW Devcon 20222
Old 6th January 2013, 05:53 AM   #3390
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevodude View Post
Sorry if any of my questions on glue, but I just want to be sure.

Keep in mind that I am making 2 Boominators:

Would 1 tube of this be enough for 1 boominator, ie 4 woofers:
Polyester Resins & Adhesives Plastic Padding,chemical metal,130ml tube Henkel 360646

The epoxy glue I assume you mean similar product to araldite 2 part epoxy, or 2 ton epoxy.

Would 1 tube of 130ml be enough for 1 boominator?
Epoxy Resins & Adhesives Adhesive,2 Ton Epoxy,std cure,200ml cartridge ITW Devcon 20222
One tube of chemical metal will be enough for 2 easily. Just remember that it sets pretty fast.

130ml 2-tonne would be stretching it for 2 but it might be possible. I'd be more at ease with 200ml. Keep in mind this is nasty stuff, and you must wear PVC gloves and in a very ventilated space (outside) when using it as a bare minimum of personal protection.

Hide this!Advertise here!