The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine - Page 327 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st September 2012, 11:12 AM   #3261
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasper Jack View Post
Ok, i have no idea what DC offset is, so i will just leave the pots alone
It is very similar to measuring the DC voltage of a little battery.

DC offset is where, the amp not playing anything, is measured by connecting a voltmeter instead of the speaker.

The volt meter is set on its smallest DC range (less than 1 volt DC) and you turn the amplifier's offset dial until you get to zero.

Speakers don't like DC, so, 0 is a good number for it.
Old 23rd September 2012, 07:11 PM   #3262
Cooldox is offline Cooldox  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Okay, so we ordered this Solar Charge Controller:
CMP Solar Panel Charge Charging Controller Regulator 10A 12V 24V | eBay
Would have saved us a lot of trouble if we had done that from the beginning

Some questions remain though:

1. We still don't know how to fix the charging issue. I guess the more power the battery has, the faster cell phones and so forth charge. Is there some sort of component og module that can make the charge constant?
2. We will definately go for the AMP9-basic and parallel the speaker, thus only using two of the four outputs (to lower the impedance). But will we need to run it at 24v? I read somewhere in this thread that Saturnus said it would deliver the same as the AMP6 on 12v, but i can't find it. Can somebody please explain it to the technically incompetent builders here?

And may i at the same time encourage the more tech-savy users to write their golden tips here: Boominator
In that way, noobs like us won't ask the same thing again and again
Old 24th September 2012, 08:39 AM   #3263
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooldox View Post

And may i at the same time encourage the more tech-savy users to write their golden tips here: Boominator
In that way, noobs like us won't ask the same thing again and again
And just as a friendly reminder, I would strongly encourage people to learn wiki markups before editing
Old 24th September 2012, 09:06 AM   #3264
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooldox View Post
Okay, so we ordered this Solar Charge Controller:
Solar Charge Controller
Would have saved us a lot of trouble if we had done that from the beginning

Some questions remain though:

1. We still don't know how to fix the charging issue. I guess the more power the battery has, the faster cell phones and so forth charge. Is there some sort of component og module that can make the charge constant?
Fiercely Bright nonstop sunlight, or. . . dual power
Put TWO low voltage schottky diodes into the input + port of your charge controller.
The diode's stripe goes closest to the charge controller.
Connect the solar cell to one of the schottky.
Connect laptop charger (SMPS) to the Other schottky.

Solar >| Charge controller
SMPS >| Charge controller
(One charge controller, two diodes, two sources)

Now, when the laptop charger (SMPS with inbuilt overcurrent protection) is plugged into mains, your battery will charge, efficiently, in less than 1 hour. The charge controller's indicator lights will tell you what's going on.

P.S.
Other way: Wallpaper the Boominator completely covered in solar cells.
I say this because a modest size solar cell may prevent draining but isn't enough for reliable charging.
P.P.S.
Buy a Multimeter and utilize the DC voltmeter function to confirm battery charging is working.

Last edited by danielwritesbac; 24th September 2012 at 09:18 AM.
Old 24th September 2012, 06:24 PM   #3265
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnus View Post
The round ones are for the KSN-1001A (or replicas). That's correct.

The square ones are for the originally used bubble horn tweeters that I together with Home page will put back into production. Samples are on it's way, and unless there are significant changes, they should be available for sale this autumn. Price point not settled yet but will be around but less than 10 each.
Hey Saturnus do you have any news about the bubble horn tweeters?
Old 1st October 2012, 10:56 PM   #3266
diyAudio Member

Thanks for all the replies. We greatly appreciate them.

Now, here's another thing we've been pondering. The batteries are, as previously mentioned, completely fried. They both show a voltage of 0.06, so we've naturally been researching new ones. We found a few other SLA batteries of the exact same size, but with 10 Ah instead, so we considered that a due upgrade and bought them. In fact, I've just picked them up from the post office.

However, while bored at work, I accidentally stumbled upon this. It's a Li-Ion 12V 9800 mAh package for 30 $, free shipping. It kinda seems too good to be true. I've done a fair bit of research about them, and I honestly feel satisfied about them, but I keep wondering why you guys haven't recommended these for a boominator? Surely, something prevents this otherwise magnificent offer from being relevant to powering a boominator? Can anybody enlighten me/us?

We already have the SLA batteries in house, but a refund is still possible. What to do?...

Thanks in advance!
Old 1st October 2012, 11:00 PM   #3267
diyAudio Member

Well, can't have done that much research considering we have mentioned them several times in this thread

They are in fact only 11.1V 6,200 mAh.

Used it for my Boominator and it works fine.
Old 2nd October 2012, 02:51 AM   #3268
kblnig is offline kblnig  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Bought some of those 6600mAh li-ion batteries from eBay about a year ago. They were in fact 3 2200mAh batteries wired in Series so i AM assuming that the manufacturor is wrong with the mAh ratings. Also checked the pack wit my battery tester which showed 2000mAh. Not sure If i was just unlucky though
Old 2nd October 2012, 09:37 AM   #3269
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kblnig View Post
Bought some of those 6600mAh li-ion batteries from eBay about a year ago. They were in fact 3 2200mAh batteries wired in Series so i AM assuming that the manufacturor is wrong with the mAh ratings. Also checked the pack wit my battery tester which showed 2000mAh. Not sure If i was just unlucky though
The "12V 9800 mAh" batteries should be in a 3x2 (6 cells total) configuration for 11.1V.
Old 2nd October 2012, 10:48 AM   #3270
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PressureFM View Post
The "12V 9800 mAh" batteries should be in a 3x2 (6 cells total) configuration for 11.1V.
Yeah, I guess I could've used the 'search in thread' function. Sorry about that.

But do they work reliably? Can you vouch for them in a setup with continuous charging from a solar-panel? Since they're considerably smaller, I was thinking of paralleling 3-4 of them into a total of approx. 30-40 Ah... That would be quite an upgrade, and a load off my chest when next Roskilde Festival is inbound.

Thanks in advance, yet again.

Hide this!Advertise here!