The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine - Page 325 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th September 2012, 07:17 PM   #3241
diyAudio Member

Here the 12v amp runs off the battery to the left and the 24v amp runs off both batteries in series. But i would like to run the 12v amp off both batteries in parallel, is this possible?

http://sphotos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto...70300917_n.jpg
Old 17th September 2012, 08:44 PM   #3242
diyAudio Member

Not enough contacts on that switch to both rearrange the batteries and cycle power on two amplifiers. Tried it several times and ended up leaving one of the amplifiers on. It had to be the 24v amplifier because of voltage tolerance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasper Jack View Post
Here the 12v amp runs off the battery to the left and the 24v amp runs off both batteries in series. But i would like to run the 12v amp off both batteries in parallel, is this possible?
Added to the 12v amp:
DC-DC Buck Step-Down Converter 8-40V to 3-30V 8A Switching Power Supply Module | eBay
There's probably other ways to step down the 24v for running the 12v amp--just make sure the efficiency ratings are in the 90%'s so you don't get much waste heat from your converter.
Edit:
Maybe it would make more sense to use just 24v amplifiers?

Last edited by danielwritesbac; 17th September 2012 at 09:10 PM.
Old 17th September 2012, 09:41 PM   #3243
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielwritesbac View Post
Maybe it would make more sense to use just 24v amplifiers?
It would be cool to use just the TK2050 alone, but i have heard it eats power..

But wouldn't this work? The 12v wouldn't be parallel, but just run off one battery.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 18th September 2012, 02:12 AM   #3244
diyAudio Member

I couldn't see your attached photo.

The switch can be arranged so that only one amplifier is on.
Unfortunately, the small signal line has ALSO connected the ground of the RCA jacks together. oops! Now you have a ground loop. So, set both amplifiers with the RCA jacks (input edges of the boards) touching and run a unified ground at that spot. When there is only 1 ground, then there's no ground loop.

For for charging, the 24v amp (maxes at 40v) can withstand the charger, but the 12v amp (max 14) cannot. So, have your switch simultaneously turn on both the charger and 24v amp simultaneously, and likewise the charger is disconnected if the 12v amp is on. The arrangement shown uses a ~24v CCS charger for charging both batteries simultaneously.
Attached Images
File Type: gif Switch4Casper.gif (13.0 KB, 91 views)

Last edited by danielwritesbac; 18th September 2012 at 02:24 AM.
Old 18th September 2012, 02:27 AM   #3245
diyAudio Member

Or, for much lighter weight, try boosting the Muse TA2020 with the ClipNipper and solar panels to help keep the voltage up. Then you don't need the 24v amp at all.

P.S.
Muse TA2020 if 4 woofers
Muse TA2021 if 2 woofers

Last edited by danielwritesbac; 18th September 2012 at 02:38 AM.
Old 18th September 2012, 11:08 AM   #3246
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I couldn't see your attached photo.

The switch can be arranged so that only one amplifier is on.
Unfortunately, the small signal line has ALSO connected the ground of the RCA jacks together. oops! Now you have a ground loop. So, set both amplifiers with the RCA jacks (input edges of the boards) touching and run a unified ground at that spot. When there is only 1 ground, then there's no ground loop.

For for charging, the 24v amp (maxes at 40v) can withstand the charger, but the 12v amp (max 14) cannot. So, have your switch simultaneously turn on both the charger and 24v amp simultaneously, and likewise the charger is disconnected if the 12v amp is on. The arrangement shown uses a ~24v CCS charger for charging both batteries simultaneously.
Can you see this photo?
Click the image to open in full size.

I dont quite understand what your saying about the RCA jacks?

The batteries will be easily removable and charged externally, so that shouldn't be a problem. Then it can play 12v music at Roskilde festival, while i charge the other battery at my work
But cool idea, might use it, thanks

I have already bought 2 amps, would like to see if i can get something out of them, before investing in a 3rd...

EDIT: I got the switch the wrong way around in the diagram.

Last edited by Kasper Jack; 18th September 2012 at 11:14 AM.
Old 18th September 2012, 01:08 PM   #3247
diyAudio Member

You cannot have 2 amps connected to the speakers at the same time. Period.

Remember there's output filters in these amps, these will affect the impedance and frequency response of the system.
Old 19th September 2012, 04:43 AM   #3248
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The batteries will be easily removable and charged externally, so that shouldn't be a problem.
Aha! Just buy a 12v battery and attach it to the 12v amp.

Attach your 24v battery to the 24v amp.

Now, you can remove amp+battery as a swap-able unit.
Both amplifiers aren't present simultaneously.

P.S.
Use the dpdt switch to protect your 12v amp, block overvolting from charger, via preventing charge-while-run.

Last edited by danielwritesbac; 19th September 2012 at 05:11 AM.
Old 19th September 2012, 12:55 PM   #3249
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnus View Post
You cannot have 2 amps connected to the speakers at the same time. Period.

Remember there's output filters in these amps, these will affect the impedance and frequency response of the system.
Ok...
I remember reading about someone building a boominator with 2 amps earlier in this thread. If i recall correctly it was someone from Camp Fri Ost, but i may be mistaken. Maybe i should just stick to the 12v amp, and use the 24v for a future project.

Quote:
Aha! Just buy a 12v battery and attach it to the 12v amp.

Attach your 24v battery to the 24v amp.
Nice out of the box idea, but it will cost me a battery more, and half the battery life in 12v mode. :/
Old 19th September 2012, 01:38 PM   #3250
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Ok...
I remember reading about someone building a boominator with 2 amps earlier in this thread. If i recall correctly it was someone from Camp Fri Ost, but i may be mistaken. Maybe i should just stick to the 12v amp, and use the 24v for a future project.
Yes. They have 2 different amps. And they change between them. They cannot be connected at the same time.

Hide this!Advertise here!