The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine - Page 292 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th June 2012, 02:44 PM   #2911
kblnig is offline kblnig  Denmark
diyAudio Member

In my opponion you should get another battery to solve this.. One of the points in having the class D amplifier is to have a very efficient power amplifier.. If you add a converter you will introduce losses and even though they state that they are >90% efficient this will foronly be the matter for some given operating point (problably at maximum capacity). During some other operating points the efficiency will for sure be lower. If you by any means have the possibility to add another battery in series, i would go for that :P
Old 10th June 2012, 02:56 PM   #2912
diyAudio Member

Ok, and then switch between running in series and parallel (12/24V) i guess?

But what about the amps? Do you have any recommendations?
Old 10th June 2012, 02:59 PM   #2913
kblnig is offline kblnig  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewartstardust View Post
Ok, and then switch between running in series and parallel (12/24V) i guess?
Exactly!

Quote:
But what about the amps? Do you have any recommendations?
I am pretty sure that any TA2050 amp will be fine, but you better ask the experts here
Old 10th June 2012, 03:20 PM   #2914
diyAudio Member

Since the TA2050 is not efficient, then why not shop for class D amplifiers?
Old 10th June 2012, 04:37 PM   #2915
wurtel is offline wurtel  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Hi guys, I've got a watt/ampere meter and would like to build it into my boominator with an on/off/on switch between 2 functions:

a) See the power consumption at a volume, so I can regulate the volume to lower power consumption if needed.
b) See how many amps the solar panels are delivering.

Unfortunately I'm having issues figuring out the switch wiring. Almost had a little fire today when I created a short.

So basically I'd like some help on how to wire it? I know it's probably asking a lot, but maybe someone can find the time to help me out?

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10th June 2012, 06:15 PM   #2916
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I've been thinking about replacing our amp6b(To get more power) with an amplifier with a TK2050 chip. I've been looking at hifimediy.com's amps and according to the information I've been able to find, they should be of better quality than the popular Sure TK2050 amps. The fact that the SURE amps isn't passively cooled scares me away from putting them in a littled confined room as in the Boominator.

So I'm thinking about replacing it with an T1-M (Hifimediy T1-M TK2050 9 - 24V), since this can run anything from 9V-24V, so I will be able to switch between 12V and 24V all depending on the amount of power i need.

I would like to able to run this from a 12V battery and therefore need a step-up converter to supply the amp with 24V and these have been recommended to me: DC 12V to 24V 8A 200W Step-up DC-DC Convertor Module | eBay).

That leaves me with three questions:
1. Does anyone have experience with the amps from hifimediy.com? How's the quality?
2. Will the step-up transformer deliver a constant voltage at 24V? There's a note on hifimediy.com that states the following: "note: 24V is max, it is not recommended to run on 24V, except if you are sure the voltage is constant and will not go above )24V".
The Hifimediy amps are fine and I own a few of them.. The downside to them is that their input sens is 1.5v and that is not very fitting for something like an iPod - which will not be able to max out the gain of the amp.

Yes, it will deliver a constant 24v.
Old 10th June 2012, 09:00 PM   #2917
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielwritesbac View Post
Option one:

Option two:

Option three: .
Thank you for the suggestions, but I am just perplexed by the fact that my boominator seems to be playing at a much lower volume than others despite the fact that everything seems to be in order. If its possible to fix it without soldering that is my prefferable choice (I haven't read about anyone else soldering on their Muse TA2020). If not, I'll consider your options.
Old 10th June 2012, 10:53 PM   #2918
diyAudio Member

I think the first thing to try is to see if the amp is somehow broken. Ie. test it with another amp.
Old 11th June 2012, 08:43 AM   #2919
diyAudio Member

I just tried and it is a lot louder with my regular amp. Maybe I should just try buying a new Ta2020.
Old 11th June 2012, 09:22 AM   #2920
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolschau View Post
I just tried and it is a lot louder with my regular amp. Maybe I should just try buying a new Ta2020.
I agree. Something must be wrong with the one you got.

Hide this!Advertise here!