The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine - Page 288 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th June 2012, 07:38 AM   #2871
mpaev is offline mpaev  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Hey Saturnus. Can this be used to charge the batteries. Mobil Solcelle sæt 13 W - Køb den idag hos BilligCamping.dk

I've bought 3 x 12v 7.2Ah batteries. do I have to by a form of regulator for sunpanels.?
Old 7th June 2012, 08:49 AM   #2872
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnus View Post
No. Afraid not. They're completely different.

There may still be resellers in southern Europe, eg. Greece, Italy and Spain, and in eastern Europe, eg. Lithuania and Romania that have them available still. But inquire and get confirmation before placing an order.

Otherwise, the only alternative is Goldwood GW-1058 which is only sold in North America, so you have to import it from there.

If you don't mind spending more but also cut at least 10kg of the weight and gain about 3dB more sensitivity then you can get the Eminence Basslite S2010 instead. It requires moderate changes in that the port should then only be 24mm not 36mm but otherwise the same size. You also have to find a pvc tube that fits over the magnets, and cut to the right length so that the drivers are connected.
Thanks for the quick response.

Is it realistic that i can get Goldwood GW-1058 before Roskilde?

I'll have to consider if i'm willing to pay 1200 kr more in total for the Eminence Basslite S2010..

And you cant just use Hp-12W - if you of course build a larger cabinet (and realizing that you have to put wheels on your modified boominator)? Guess you would need some in the midrange?
Old 7th June 2012, 09:36 AM   #2873
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayer View Post
And you cant just use Hp-12W - if you of course build a larger cabinet (and realizing that you have to put wheels on your modified boominator)? Guess you would need some in the midrange?
Yes, you'd need a midrange as the HP12W is only good up to about 400hz. And each cabinet would have to be (exactly) 7 times larger in internal volume. The HP12W is not meant for and cannot be used in compact enclosures.

Yes, it's realistic to get the GW-1058s before Roskilde (if you order relatively soon). You should also look into buying them through forwarder service otherwise the price including freight, VAT and customs would be the same as for the Basslite's bought in the EU.

Last edited by Saturnus; 7th June 2012 at 09:50 AM.
Old 7th June 2012, 09:54 AM   #2874
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpaev View Post
Hey Saturnus. Can this be used to charge the batteries. Mobil Solcelle sæt 13 W - Køb den idag hos BilligCamping.dk

I've bought 3 x 12v 7.2Ah batteries. do I have to by a form of regulator for sunpanels.?
Yes, it can be used. No need for a regulator unless you intend to have it plugged permanently in when you're not using the Boominator. For example at a festival you're using power constantly, if not a lot at times, and that makes sure your batteries won't get overcharged.
Old 7th June 2012, 11:24 AM   #2875
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The MUSE is fine. Not sure if you have a problem or not. Please put the top plate on properly and test again. Then try and speak to yourself in a normal voice. That's always a good measure of how loud things are because when you have clean sound you can turn up volume very far without noticing it before you actually try to speak with someone.
Well, I put the top plate on properly and it still isn't that loud. I came to wonder if I am experiencing the same as Osny - Phase inversion. Do you think that could be the case? The ports aren't pumping a lot of air out.
Old 7th June 2012, 12:00 PM   #2876
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolschau View Post
Well, I put the top plate on properly and it still isn't that loud. I came to wonder if I am experiencing the same as Osny - Phase inversion. Do you think that could be the case? The ports aren't pumping a lot of air out.
Could be. Have you connected + to + and - to - everywhere? Double check it.
Old 7th June 2012, 01:04 PM   #2877
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Could be. Have you connected + to + and - to - everywhere? Double check it.
Everything was connected correctly. I tried switching - and + on the cables from the drivers to the amp, but I couldn't hear a big difference.
A bit frustrating.
Old 7th June 2012, 01:58 PM   #2878
diyAudio Member

Pictures says a thousands words.

Try taking pictures. Quite close up of all the connections. Of all speakers. And the amp.
Old 7th June 2012, 03:10 PM   #2879
diyAudio Member

Here's som pictures, I hope they will sufice.

ImageShack Album - 16 images

There's no centerbrace because I made my drawings and bought the wood a long time ago. That's why the measurements are a little off. The black you see on the wires is to keep the connections in place. I've used "samlemuffer" to apply the resistor to the tweeters and to "transfer" the two wires from the 2 drivers into one single wire to the amp.
Old 7th June 2012, 03:31 PM   #2880
diyAudio Member

I can't see if there's anything wrong.

And the amp is turned all the way up? Basically it has to be at maximum at all time. And you control volume with the source.

Last edited by Saturnus; 7th June 2012 at 03:34 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!