Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th November 2011, 04:08 PM   #2411
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyfiken View Post
Could I build a halfinator with a SMSL A1 TA2021B T-AMP 2X25W Tripath Class Stereo Integrated Amplifier gold new | eBay ? Is there a drawing available of the halfinator?
Search and ye shall find

Rubenn's sketch-up drawing of a half boominator version is first hit if you goggle "half boominator"

It's not how I would have made it but it gives a good idea to how to make one if you compare with the drawing for the original and then do some adaptations to suit your purpose the best. Only thing that you must not change is the internal volume where the speakers are mounted and the port tunings, though the latter could be done in a number of different ways.

Last edited by Saturnus; 18th November 2011 at 04:12 PM.
Old 20th November 2011, 02:40 PM   #2412
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnus View Post
Search and ye shall find

Rubenn's sketch-up drawing of a half boominator version is first hit if you goggle "half boominator"

It's not how I would have made it but it gives a good idea to how to make one if you compare with the drawing for the original and then do some adaptations to suit your purpose the best. Only thing that you must not change is the internal volume where the speakers are mounted and the port tunings, though the latter could be done in a number of different ways.
Thanks!

I have another question. Some boomboxes have the magnets glued together, and some have 8 holes, how do you choose which way to do?

EDIT: My t-amp has 2 inputs for speakers, left and right. How do connect my four speakers to the T-amp? I am a bit new to all this...

EDIT2: I am trying to choose which 2 piezo tweeters that I am going to use, but it is very hard. Can some one help me out a bit? I am ordering them from ebay. Does this par do the job: http://www.ebay.com/itm/DJ-PA-Profes...item4ab0de6fe2 ?

Last edited by nyfiken; 20th November 2011 at 02:54 PM.
Old 20th November 2011, 05:02 PM   #2413
kblnig is offline kblnig  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Thanks!

I have another question. Some boomboxes have the magnets glued together, and some have 8 holes, how do you choose which way to do?

EDIT: My t-amp has 2 inputs for speakers, left and right. How do connect my four speakers to the T-amp? I am a bit new to all this...

EDIT2: I am trying to choose which 2 piezo tweeters that I am going to use, but it is very hard. Can some one help me out a bit? I am ordering them from ebay. Does this par do the job: DJ PA Professional Boom Box Piezo Tweeter Speaker Pair | eBay ?
the "8" holes are just something that strengthens the construction. The boominators using this will be more rigid that the ones without, but the magnets are still glued together in order to add even more mechanical strength

the two inputs are just for left and right.. read this thread and you will find how to connect your speakers. (In principle you just connect all speakers from the left side to one of the inputs and all the speakers from the right to the other input. You will however need to make a simple filter in order to match the frequency response of the tweeters and the bass unit. You will find extremely many references to the right wiring scheme in this thread. It will take some time to read it all through but it will for sure save you some time in the end)
Old 29th November 2011, 10:35 AM   #2414
diyAudio Member

2 more questions:

1. I wanted to hear what the final conclusion was on what to do when connecting the HP-10W, since they aren't as deep as they used to be. Is it like rubennn did here: The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine - or is there a smarter way?

2. Since we've decided not to let the boominator kill us, a fuse from the battery, as explained previously, would be needed, but how big a fuse?
Old 29th November 2011, 11:00 AM   #2415
gmarsh is offline gmarsh  Canada
diyAudio Member

10A fuse should be fine.
Old 30th November 2011, 07:24 PM   #2416
diyAudio Member

Hm, how do I get a crossover that is right for my woofer and tweeter?
Old 30th November 2011, 08:33 PM   #2417
kblnig is offline kblnig  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hm, how do I get a crossover that is right for my woofer and tweeter?
Thats impossible to answer before you have decided on the speaker setup.. Read this thread and you will find small crossover filters for several tweeters in combination with the hp10w speaker!
Old 2nd December 2011, 04:55 PM   #2418
diyAudio Member

I have decided to go with 2 P.audio HP-10Ws and two QLM-1005s.

The stats for the woofer:
Effect: 100 W RMS.
Sensitivity 96 dB.
Frequency 50-4000 Hz.
Impedance 8 Ohm.
Recommended cross over frequncy 90-3000 Hz

The stats for the piezos:
Effekt 300 W.
Sensitivity. 95 dB
Frequency. 4000-40000 Hz.

As you can see the recommended cross over freuency for the woofer is 90-3000 Hz, which is quite a big "scale". For me it is hard to know what is appropriate. I read somewere in this thread that 1,5khz wold be enough, would it?

EDIT: But here: http://www.sweclockers.com/forum/78-...range-feeling/ the guy is using 250Ohm 5W, hm?

EDIT2: The guy in the link above said that he removed his resistors, and i still sounded OK? How come? If so, why are you all using cross overs? Now, I am confused!

Last edited by nyfiken; 2nd December 2011 at 05:18 PM.
Old 2nd December 2011, 05:16 PM   #2419
diyAudio Member

You don't need a filter. Just a series resistor on the piezos between 50 and 150 ohm. 250 ohm would probably be too much. As stated many times before though, I wholeheartedly recommend NOT using power resistors but metal film or solid carbon types.
Old 3rd December 2011, 10:54 AM   #2420
diyAudio Member

im about to make a boombox with:
2x HP-10W
2x Piezo tweeters (i dont know which im going to buy yet)
1x Amp6-basic
7,2aH Pb battery

For the tweeters/piezos ive been thinking about these: Monacor DT-100 .. i can get them for like half the price.. or should i go with piezos like these | IMG Stage Line 110530 |Piezohorn MPT-165 Hjttaler-enheder Piezo Diskanter or any of the other one from discoworld.dk ?

Im planing to build one like this: marine core theme boombox - YouTube so it will be on a size so i can take it with me in a bus ..

Hope you can help me, and thanks for alle the threads!

Hide this!Advertise here!