Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd December 2008, 08:57 PM   #231
col is offline col  Australia
diyAudio Member

solder in D36 and D25.

col.
Old 22nd December 2008, 10:23 PM   #232
v-bro is offline v-bro  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Hi, I saw your thread at 41hz.com, dropped a post there too...

Moderators feel free to delete these posts!
Old 23rd December 2008, 06:52 PM   #233
diyAudio Member

Aside from amp problems, how's progress on the cabinet side? Do try to start construction or at least think the assembly order out well beforehand, as you don't want to end up with a cabinet that's half assembled a few hours before you have to leave the house. I've tried it and it's not recommendable.
Old 23rd December 2008, 08:05 PM   #234
tsnell is offline tsnell  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hey Saturnus,

Amp troubles have grown into amp disasters. I think the amp 9 is a write off for this trip at least so the only option will be the amp 6B pushing into 8 ohms. Not sure if Iím going to get the volume we need from it, but I think it is still worth a try. Because the amp 6 kit was missing one of the 3.3uF low ESR caps I cannot get it set up and running until I give up completely on the amp 9, because I will have to steal the cap from that amp.

As for the rest of the work, all timbers are cut and trial fit. End walls with ports are completed. Because I am using the piezos, I have cut and joined the four pairs and they are ready to mount. Braces and speaker magnet hole align and all is looking ready for joining. I have been putting it off because I am using the speakers on the bench for testing the amp 9. Iíd take some pictures but Iím not doing the woodwork at my place. Iíll get some later today.

Iím really bummed about this amp 9, lesson learned though; set aside more time for these things and take more care soldering PCBs. I had almost given up on taking the boombox completely last night, but I think I will give it a go with the amp 6 and see how it sounds.

Thanks again for all your help and advice Saturnus, and everybody!
Old 23rd December 2008, 09:34 PM   #235
diyAudio Member

It'll work fine on the amp6basic into 8 ohms, no worries, maximum output will be lower but more than enough for most people. You can always finish the amp9basic for another time and get better tweeters and so on.

Remember, I have been developing the Boominator over 8 years so far and it's still a work in progress although I'm closing in on the definitive version with the latest version being the 5th cabinet design, and having improved at least something every year.

For me each cabinet design lasted 2 years, the first year using it as designed, and the second year tweaking something. Then take the lessons learned and back to the drawing board for the next version.

I've just begun making the next version. Lessons learned from previous years has taught me to begin design and getting the materials about 6 months in advance.
Old 27th December 2008, 04:10 PM   #236
diyAudio Member

Hey guys, just wanted to let you know the NTE-1 trannies are on my desk at work waiting for me to do something with them, just too busy wit christmass and newyears right now.... Will attend to it asap...

Sorry for the delay
Old 13th January 2009, 08:15 PM   #237
diyAudio Member

Default my attempt at the ultimate party machine..

my attempt at the ultimate party machine..

Click the image to open in full size.

(sorry about the size of the image!)

I'm looking for some efficient amplifiers to be driven from either a 12 or 24v supply. I'm also interested in cheap!? batteries..
Old 13th January 2009, 09:23 PM   #238
diyAudio Member

HAH! Funny design!

A nice efficient amp to run on batteries? AMP6-B like in the original Boominator.

http://www.41hz.com

For more power you could also go for an AMP9-B but that would consume a fair bit more...

Oh and about the NTE-1 measurements, I've been sitting here at home coping with the flu for the past two weeks and I don't have the equipment here at home... , sorry....but I haven't forgotten about it!
Old 13th January 2009, 10:31 PM   #239
diyAudio Member

From reading this thread in detail, I am considering the following:

2 amp modules from 41hz:

amp 9 basic - driven with 24v (4 channels enabling me to run my mid-tops 2 way active, stereo.

amp 11 LV - driven also on 24v for the sub.

are there any other off the shelf modules that I should consider? cheaper is always better!

batteries I am considering some 12v 14Ah from Haze, as these are available for just under £20 each. My plan was to combine the two batteries in series giving a 24v supply.. I can always double up to give a longer run time. (i.e run 4 batteries)
Old 13th January 2009, 11:15 PM   #240
diyAudio Member

For your purpose I'd recommend the amp9basic to start with and take things in steps.

Start by having the amp run on a single battery for 12V and use one channel for each satelitte and two channels paralled for the sub.

Now if you're not satisfied with that performance you can just add another battery for 24V on the same setup.

If you're still not satisfied you consider adding another sub or another amp for the sub and have the speakers run active on the amp9basic.

It is always my philosophy that one should plan ahead and look for a setup that they can improve on later in steps and not try to do all at once because you might be happy with a smaller setup than you originally planned. And potential problem solving is a much less daunting task.

Also understand that going from 12V to 24V, you'll need 4 batteries in series/parallel on 24V to have the same battery life as a 12V setup has on one battery.

Hide this!Advertise here!