The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine - Page 236 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th October 2011, 08:28 AM   #2351
donnib is offline donnib  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnus View Post
Well, the datasheet is wrong, so there's your problem.

The grills are made of 20mil or 0.51mm steel, btw.

Try stacking everything on top of eachother and measure the actual size instead of relying on the datasheet. As I said, there should be about 1.5-2mm gap on each side.
It is important for me to know this since i need to put the sealing gasket between the grill and the plywood and if i don't i will have an issue after i have glued the speakers to the plywood coz it won't touch the centerbrace.

If i remember correctly i actually measured it and that's when i got 300.9 in total but i might be measuring wrong.

Is this the "correct" or recommended order ?

1. Make all parts (centerbrace, ports, speaker holes).
2. Mount the speakers/grill/sealing gasket to the plywood by glueing and/or mounting with screws (seal speakers with sillicone)
3. Mount ports on each side. (screws and glue)
4. Mount centerbrace. (screws and glue to port handle and the electronics compartment)
5. Mount electronics compartment (the two plywood parts)
6. Now mount front and back where speakers are already mounted and hope that that i have placed the holes for the speakers correct so the magnet will be alligned correctly on the center brace.
7. While doing 6 glue magnets to centerbrace.

I was thinking to seal all closing betwen plywood to plywood with sillicone to make sure it is airtight. Is that ok ?

Is this correct, please correct if i am wrong or doing in the wrong order ?
Old 4th October 2011, 08:46 AM   #2352
diyAudio Member

More or less correct but it will be impossible to mount the electronics compartment walls after the centerbrace, so you'll need to revise steps 3. to 5. and do it in reverse order.

What you do is screw the electronic compartment walls to the centerbrace, then mount those two assembled part. And after that add the ends with ports already attached.

Or you can assemble the electronic compartment walls, centerbrace, and ends with ports together before mounting them on the bottom. Then attach the top.

EDIT: Btw, the reason it's impossible to mount the electronic compartment walls last is that you then can't drill holes and screw it to centerbrace.

Last edited by Saturnus; 4th October 2011 at 08:55 AM.
Old 4th October 2011, 08:55 AM   #2353
diyAudio Member

Quote:
More or less correct but it will be impossible to mount the electronics compartment walls after the centerbrace, so you'll need to revise steps 3. to 5. and do it in reverse order.
Well yes but i thought this would be easier because i want to make sure that i make the speaker compartment correct size. Why is it hard to mount something to the centerbrace when the otherside is not mounted ?
Old 4th October 2011, 09:00 AM   #2354
diyAudio Member

You mean you want to make sure the electronic compartment is the right size, right? A mm or two off on the speaker compartment will not make a huge difference as it's only 0,072864 liter per mm. It's also the reason I recommen having a spacing cut that you mount in the middle of the top and bottom, so that you're sure the electronic compartment it the exact width you need. you can just screw them in without glue and remove them before you put the sides on.

Last edited by Saturnus; 4th October 2011 at 09:03 AM.
Old 4th October 2011, 09:09 AM   #2355
diyAudio Member

Quote:
You mean you want to make sure the electronic compartment is the right size, right? A mm or two off on the speaker compartment will not make a huge difference as it's only 0,072864 liter per mm. It's also the reason I recommen having a spacing cut that you mount in the middle of the top and bottom, so that you're sure the electronic compartment it the exact width you need. you can just screw them in without glue and remove them before you put the sides on.
What i mean is i don't know exactly where to set the electronics compartment. If i have the centerbrace i have something that i can use to rely on. I guess the first part of the electronics compartment is easy to mount to the centerbrace if the other part is not mounted but as soon as the other part needs to be mounted it is going to be hard i guess. Hmm can't figure out how to do this and not mess it up at the same time.
Old 4th October 2011, 09:17 AM   #2356
diyAudio Member

Well, if you screw and glue the ends, centerbraces, and electronic compartment walls together first then it sort of gives itself where the electronic compartment is going to be.
Old 4th October 2011, 10:19 AM   #2357
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Well, if you screw and glue the ends, centerbraces, and electronic compartment walls together first then it sort of gives itself where the electronic compartment is going to be.
When you say ends then you mean the port handles ? Let me try to repeat or rephrase what i think my problem is. If i take the bottom plywood and then mount the left handle/port then mount the centerbrace to that i then know where the left part of the electronics has to go because it has to be mounted directly to the centerbrace. I can do the same for the right side but now i only have very few space to screw the right side of the elctronics compartment because the left side is in the way. Does this makes sense ? Am i fooling myself here ?
Old 4th October 2011, 10:55 AM   #2358
diyAudio Member

Yeah, you are. It's basically not possible to make in that order. You have to screw and glue at least the compartment walls and centerbraces together before mounting them.
Old 4th October 2011, 01:28 PM   #2359
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Yeah, you are. It's basically not possible to make in that order. You have to screw and glue at least the compartment walls and centerbraces together before mounting them.
Yes now i understand. I could actually mount both the handle/port, centerbrace and one of the sides for the electronics compartment as well. That would also work.
Old 4th October 2011, 09:01 PM   #2360
rubennn is offline rubennn  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Last time I assembled the center brace to the port/handle part I noticed that there was a rattling sound after my glue had dried. The 2 pieces glued together orthogonally was slightly able to wiggle back and forth, thus making this rattling sound.

I discovered that it was the glue which was not sticking good enough to the blank surface of the plywood (where the film is). My glue is just ordinary wood glue from my hardware store nearby.

Actually it was so annoying that I discarded the centerbrace and just went with a clean cabinet instead, because I had no luck fixing it. Next time I'm gonna do something about it. Question is, do I need some other glue for this purpose? Like epoxy? Saturnus, you've mentioned you use it for the wood part, but you also recommended us not to use it if I remember correctly.

.. Or maybe I just need to sand the surface a bit?

Hide this!Advertise here!