The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

getting close to wring up my first halfnator. I have remixed the boominator by cutting it in two. Each half has two smaller ports (same overall area) and same internal volume as a stock boominator. The box was cnc cut and will have removable faceplates.

attachment.php

I am working on having a pair so that each can work as a mono box and when you link them with an interconnect cable they will run as a stereo set.

I hope to get the link working using a 12v fm transmitter as then we could have a party on wheels (I use them as our longboarding sound system.

I just read that the holes in the brace need to be that way to brake up the standing wave... BUGGER... I cut these like so as I was thinking airflow was good and the holes were a method used for simple saw/drill construction.... Should I just stuff with a little batting?

I have had real trouble getting decent tweeters so had to settle for these:

Surplustronics - Piezo Tweeter - 85mm x 85mm 100 Watts max.
they are ok, sound a little average to be honest....

Surplustronics - Piezo Horn Tweeter - 7 Inch x 3 Inch 150 Watts
These were a little better but still poo....

Could any one make a suggestion as to the best tweeter option from this store or a good online source that wont charge $100+ in shipping to new Zealand....

PS still looking for an amp 9 basic and amp 6 basic/sneaky build instructions so I can upgrade from the amps that will sub in for the time being.

Attachments

• halfnator switching 004.jpg
    halfnator switching 004.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 444
  • halfnator switching 002.jpg
    halfnator switching 002.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 441
  • half prepaint.jpg
    half prepaint.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 997
  • half fitting.jpg
    half fitting.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 439
Hello there, i built a Boominator Mini for last years Roskilde, and this year I'm ready to upgrade.

I have a few questions before i start buying everything, the build I'm making has room for a 12V 17A SLA battery, and the solar panel I've chosen (the one from canopysound.dk) has an output of 10W, will i have to add in a regulator of sorts? Or will i be alright just hooking it up to the battery parallel to the amp? (I'd prefer the latter)

Also, on my build I've taken out the ventilation holes from the original electronics compartment, the amp I'm using is the one from Canopysound.dk aswell (Indeed HIFI or something, looks identical to the Muse M20 Ex2). Will that pose any problems?

And lastly, after building my boominator mini, I learned that I don't trust my DIY-skills enough to make a completely sealed box that could never be opened again if something went wrong. So I was thinking of just screwing on the top panel and adding a rubber strip (like the ones used in windows) around the speaker cabinets. Do you think that will be air tight enough?

Thanks!

Hello there, i built a Boominator Mini for last years Roskilde, and this year I'm ready to upgrade.

I have a few questions before i start buying everything, the build I'm making has room for a 12V 17A SLA battery, and the solar panel I've chosen (the one from canopysound.dk) has an output of 10W, will i have to add in a regulator of sorts? Or will i be alright just hooking it up to the battery parallel to the amp? (I'd prefer the latter)

Also, on my build I've taken out the ventilation holes from the original electronics compartment, the amp I'm using is the one from Canopysound.dk aswell (Indeed HIFI or something, looks identical to the Muse M20 Ex2). Will that pose any problems?

And lastly, after building my boominator mini, I learned that I don't trust my DIY-skills enough to make a completely sealed box that could never be opened again if something went wrong. So I was thinking of just screwing on the top panel and adding a rubber strip (like the ones used in windows) around the speaker cabinets. Do you think that will be air tight enough?

Thanks!

Speaking of my Boominator Mini, i just found out that for some reason, the right channel plays much lower than the left channel on the amp. After we brought it to the festival it took some major hits, it still worked perfectly, except for the fact that sometimes when adjusting the volume on the amp there was some static. (It's a muse amp) - Is there anything i can do about the volume problem?
I'm assuming it's a problem with the amplifier, since it's the same channel that plays at a lower volume when i switch the speakers around. I can provide pictures if necessary.

Thanks in advance.

a small interjection~ will this work?

It was mentioned here a few weeks back that I could achieve 19.2 volts (more charged) with 6 lifepo batteries....

6 x Tenergy Li ion 18650 Cylindrical 3 7V 2600mAh Rechargeable Batteries w Tabs | eBay

Tenergy 19 2V 6 Cell Intelligent 2 2A LiFePO4 Battery Pack Charger | eBay

running this....

TPA3116 2 1 Class D Amplifier Board 2X50W 100W DC 18V DC 24V | eBay

I'm only looking for an hour of play. 12 3000ma ni-mh aa batteries are playing it for 15 minutes or so. Any advise? Maybe a slightly larger battery?

Tor

Breadboard busking amp

Not anywhere near Boominator league, of course, but we did put this together after reading through the thread and thought we should thank all of you, especially Saturnus, in the way we've been invited, namely, posting pics.

We needed something to play through at a rally. Had been using a Crate Limo, which gave up the ghost. Built this with parts to hand and very, very low budget, applying as many principles gleaned from this thread as possible.

Uses Eminence Alpha 10-A, no name piezos, Lepai 2020, no name karaoke board (which powers mic, gives echo option, acts as pre-amp and channels two inputs into a mono line output), lithium cctv battery and, of course, several bread boards.

I'm sure it doesn't sound anything like a Boominator, nor a Qubinator for that matter (from which the idea was cribbed), but it beats the hell out of a Crate Limo, or any other mass produced busking amp we've heard.

So, thanks!

Attachments

• BreadboardBuskingAmp.jpg
    BreadboardBuskingAmp.jpg
    312.8 KB · Views: 414
How does it sound?

Hard to say, depends on what the comparison is. We applied as many Boominator rules & lessons as possible given the limits of our budget & materials already on hand, ending up with something that sounds dramatically better (and is hugely cheaper) than commercial gear, but we certainly skewed way off of the very exacting Boominator thread recommendations, so seems safe to assume that the thing is but a pale rendering of what it would sound like done right.

That being said, it sounds great to us -- plenty loud enough, lots of bass, and the mix between mid/highs is satisfactory enough that we used the "direct" button on the Lepai, bypassing bass/treble and saving power there (also removed the two diodes which light up the volume).

We did the"2-plane" setup because we had these really cool looking bamboo breadboards and it was only way to fit the speakers. This thing does have pockets of deader sound as you walk around it (best angle is slightly off-kilter to a tweeter plane), but compared to the Crate Limo it replaces, which only projected forward, it has superb surround sound.

Still futzing around with getting the mic/guitar inputs installed (regretfully setting aside attempt to build in phantom power), so haven't stuffed & sealed it yet, so should end up that much better.

Ken

Output power and consumption varies with voltage. With the same voltage every amplifier will have the same output power. The amp9 will output the same as the amp6 per channel on the voltage so you get nothing from keeping it at 12V. That wasn't my point though. I want to use active filtering so I have a channel for both tweeter and woofer separately on both sides.

The ingenious part is that the tweeter filter will be a stopband filter, and you can connect a passive external subwoofer to those 2 channels. The tweeters will also be connected in series to lower the sensitivity by 6 dB (those I will use are 101dB sensitivity so they'll match the woofers) and avoid using a series resistor. It'll only have a series cap on the passive side after the amp.

The woofer output will remain unchanged. This setup will make sure that you can play slightly louder without using very much extra power. And that you can connect a passive subwoofer directly to it for more bass extension when you have a big party.

Unfortunately when you double the voltage (from 12V to 24V) you not only quadruple the output power but also the consumption. And battery times below 9 hours from 2 12V 7Ah SLAs is completely unacceptable to me.

I am building a boominator with HP10Ws and piezos. I use an AMP9 on 12V. At parties I would like to add an external subwoofer and a 24V power supply. I am wondering if this is possible without the need of an minidsp or another (energy consuming) active filter? I have drawn a scheme:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Is this possible?

measureing piezos

Hi guys,

I can not get any info on the capacitance of the piezo tweeters I can get locally in nz and having trouble then working out my series resistors.

Could some one tell me if there is an easy way to measure the amount of capacitance a peizo tweeter has?

Thanks
jestah