The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine - Page 229 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th August 2011, 10:16 AM   #2281
diyAudio Member

Hey

Has anybody used these exact
SolarPowered 12V 15W Battery Charger Free Delivery : Amorphous Solar Panel Kits : Maplin
solar panels ?
I know that it has to be amorpheous and that they have to fit the top exactly for best possible result
What I wanted to know was wether, or wether not you can take the sides of, don't want to waste 70 on something I can't use...

And regarding the lid to the small compartment in the middle - what would you guys recommend as the best design?

I saw some of the designs on this years festival but didn't get a full look..
Old 30th August 2011, 11:14 AM   #2282
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars Jensen View Post
Hey

Has anybody used these exact
SolarPowered 12V 15W Battery Charger Free Delivery : Amorphous Solar Panel Kits : Maplin
solar panels ?
I know that it has to be amorpheous and that they have to fit the top exactly for best possible result
What I wanted to know was wether, or wether not you can take the sides of, don't want to waste 70 on something I can't use...

And regarding the lid to the small compartment in the middle - what would you guys recommend as the best design?

I just read the specification. The panel you found is indeed amopheous so to me is seems perfect.
Old 30th August 2011, 01:19 PM   #2283
diyAudio Member

Quote:

I'd recommend making it a drawer instead of a lid.

People have a tendency to put things on top of the Boominator (usually in various liquid forms), so to avoid any chance of liquid damage, just make a drawer.

At least that is my experience from this years Roskilde Festival
Old 30th August 2011, 01:30 PM   #2284
rubennn is offline rubennn  Denmark
diyAudio Member

A lid in the side, like the one I made for my sister and her boominator, could also be a solution. Although a drawer is bit more cool
Old 30th August 2011, 01:45 PM   #2285
diyAudio Member

I remember seeing a drawer in some of the pics on facebook (or somewhere like that) - and liked the idea - was that thing hard to make ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubennn View Post
A lid in the side, like the one I made for my sister and her boominator, could also be a solution. Although a drawer is bit more cool
Any pictures of that ? We're making two boominators so it would be nice if there were a little variation in the designs
Old 30th August 2011, 02:19 PM   #2286
ThokN is offline ThokN  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I remember seeing a drawer in some of the pics on facebook (or somewhere like that) - and liked the idea - was that thing hard to make ?
We made a drawer. (Fri Ost). It was not complicated, but takes a bit more time. The nice thing is that we could easily take out all of the electronics at once if something has to be fixed. Also, we had both an Amp6 and Amp9 in it so we could switch from energy-efficient to maximum volume when needed. We had room for 2 sets of 2 SLA's connected through a switch that let us choose between 12V for the Amp6 and 24V for the Amp9.

The connection to the speakers was done by placing a 2-pole plug/connector to each speaker-room, so that we just had to pull out the cables to remove the drawer.

Each amp had their own two output cables that we then switched between depending on which amp we wanted to use.

I wanted to post some picutres, cause I know they exist, but I don't know who has them :s If you want more detailed info just ask here
Old 30th August 2011, 02:28 PM   #2287
diyAudio Member

Did you make the entire middle compartment a drawer - and if so - doesn't that take a lot of the, already narrow, space? i'm really interested in this kind of idea for the compartment so any pictures describing it in detail, would be greatly appreciated

And did you do anything to lock the drawer so only some people could pull it out ?

Last edited by Lars Jensen; 30th August 2011 at 02:31 PM.
Old 30th August 2011, 02:42 PM   #2288
diyAudio Member

Quote:
What I wanted to know was wether, or wether not you can take the sides of
Just got this from customer support:
Quote:
"I am sorry unfortunately you would not be able to amend this item."
Old 30th August 2011, 02:46 PM   #2289
aaroe is offline aaroe  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Pheew... Just finished reading this insane thread :-)

And I've just received the HP-10W from Ljudia.no - only 325 NOK a piece :-) - Note that the items are still shipped from Sweden, so no problems with the danish customs, even though its ordered from a norwegian website :-)

And for your information, Saturnus mentioned earlier, that the production has moved to China and India, but these bad-boys has a sticker that says "Made in Thailand"
The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

Btw, anyone who has an extra 4 of these piezo bubble tweeters from ebay? - if so, I would be the happy buyer :-)
Old 30th August 2011, 02:49 PM   #2290
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostecki View Post
Just got this from customer support:
Well, that would depend on how much you want to take them off

Hide this!Advertise here!