The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine - Page 225 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th August 2011, 04:08 PM   #2241
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars Jensen View Post
Hey Phaedras

First of all you guessed right (I guess Jensen gave me away)

I have read through the thread last year and know that i can't build a boominator with that budget, but if I use something not as top quality, would it then be possible?

And what are the most important things I have to look for when I'm going to look for speakers?
I'd say, don't skimp on the drivers, the HP10w is a really great woofer and the boominators i've heard with other drivers didnt sound as good! The piezos aren't that expensive..

If you got 1800 now, its just 50dkr per person ekstra to build the full boominator and you got a really great boombox!

If I wanted to build it with a very tight budget i'd try to save money by:
  1. Not buy speaker grills, but try to find materials to make them myself. (Maybe find old thrown out speakers with metal-cover and cut out the grills yourself)
  2. Get as many materials from friends and family, like glue, screws, primer and paint.
  3. Go to some scrapyard and see if you can find a discarded scooter, most use Sealed Lead Acid batteries.
  4. Be creative in material-hunting
Just don't use crap drivers to save money
Old 18th August 2011, 05:19 PM   #2242
rubennn is offline rubennn  Denmark
diyAudio Member

I can vouche for the half boominator. It works for me and worked for my camp also. There are 2 major cons and 3 major pros for building such a boombox. Deciding how much they each weigh is up to you:

Half boominator:
Pros:
- You'll save money
- Half the power use at max. vol. due to system impedance being 8 ohm instead of 4 ohm (and thus also lowering output - see cons)
- The boombox weighs less

Cons:
- As far as I can recall you lose 6 dB in sound pressure level at max. vol. because of the 2 drivers instead of 4 and system impedance is 8 ohm instead of 4 ohm.
- Sound quality is compromised and phase problems may occur (still WAY better than any store bought boomblaster!)

I like both the half boominator and the full boominator. But I would advise you to build the full boominator if you are going to be 16 people. If you wanna party with a half boominator you should be less than 10 people - it's simply not loud enough.

Happy building
Old 21st August 2011, 02:49 PM   #2243
diyAudio Member

thanks for the quick reply, I'll see what we can do about the money issue, but as it stands right now, it sound like there won't be a change, so guess it'll have to be half a boominator
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubennn View Post
I like both the half boominator and the full boominator. But I would advise you to build the full boominator if you are going to be 16 people. If you wanna party with a half boominator you should be less than 10 people - it's simply not loud enough.
last year we used step-up transformers to enhance the volume level, can that be done with this one as well, without creating distortion ? just gotta know before putting it in
Old 21st August 2011, 07:19 PM   #2244
diyAudio Member

Quote:
last year we used step-up transformers to enhance the volume level, can that be done with this one as well, without creating distortion ? just gotta know before putting it in
Not that I'm the right person to give the answer, but I guess that it would be nice to know wich class-d amp you're using?
Old 21st August 2011, 07:58 PM   #2245
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campino Morten View Post
Not that I'm the right person to give the answer, but I guess that it would be nice to know wich class-d amp you're using?
actually we're using a class T TA2020 amp with a tripath chip in it

this one to be exact:
SMSL TA2020 Class T Amp Amplifier Tripath Chip SA-36A S | eBay
Old 21st August 2011, 09:15 PM   #2246
diyAudio Member

Quote:
actually we're using a class T TA2020 amp with a tripath chip in it

this one to be exact:
SMSL TA2020 Class T Amp Amplifier Tripath Chip SA-36A S | eBay
Quote:
Input Sensitivity 200mV
This is the right level for direct connection to a very low output device like an iPod or most smart phones. It shouldn't need a step-up trafo.
Old 22nd August 2011, 07:53 PM   #2247
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnus View Post
This is the right level for direct connection to a very low output device like an iPod or most smart phones. It shouldn't need a step-up trafo.
I happen to know that, the link is incorrect for the specific amp he's talking about.

It's actually this one: SA-36A TA2020 Tripath Class-T Digital Amplifier HiFi B | eBay
Old 22nd August 2011, 08:01 PM   #2248
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostecki View Post
I happen to know that, the link is incorrect for the specific amp he's talking about.

It's actually this one: SA-36A TA2020 Tripath Class-T Digital Amplifier HiFi B | eBay
There's technically no difference the silver ("S") and black versions.
Old 22nd August 2011, 08:07 PM   #2249
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnus View Post
There's technically no difference the silver ("S") and black versions.
Just noticed that the link for the actual one didn't have any info on Input Sensitivity, but hey. If it works, it works
Old 22nd August 2011, 09:45 PM   #2250
osny is offline osny  Sweden
diyAudio Member

On one of my Gooldwood speaker there is a scratching sound when I test play. When I press lightly on the membrane, I can feel some resistance and hear a scratching sound too.

The speaker is broken, or it is possible to fix?

Hide this!Advertise here!