The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

Make an audio cable without ground connection. Use it only when used with mixer. For example by stripping/taping the USB and ground lifted cable together.
I cut off groundcable from a cheap audiocable today, but i still got a
bad sound when mixer get Power from same powersource as dsp and amp.
I just separate cable from Connection in one side could that be the problem?
Bjørn

Check out my Boominator pics here. mikalo's boominator - Imgur

Just waiting on my solar panel and my painter friend to do some funky artwork.

One problem. I have to disconnect my batteries in order for them to charge, otherwise the charger goes into a crazy mode (flickering lights) and it doesn't charge. Does anyone know why this is happening? I have a switch on the front of the boombox to flick it into sleep mode but it still doesn't work. Would a small current draw from the digital voltmeter and the amp have an effect????

Exemplary work, mikalo. Very well done.

I would definitely assume the voltmeter to be the culprit. Try disabling that temporarily and see if you still have problems with the charger.

(It's not the current draw from it that is the problem but the parallel impedance that is inserted in order to measure voltage).

Last edited:
Coming and going

Hi,
I put together my boominator today, but I have a big problem.
When I have the piezo´s connected the music "hacks" when I turn up the music real loud. When i disconnect the piezos it works fine.

I use the maxamp reciever as you recomended. But when i calculated the ohm of the paralell connection I got it to be 2 ohm, is this right? Its connected as the boominator for dummies example, , but I read somewhere that the boominator should be 4 ohm?

On the maxamp site the spec says that its only 4 or 8 ohm stable.
Specificaties - Maxamp 12V Amplifier

I would really appriciate some help here! :)

//Daniel

Hi,
I put together my boominator today, but I have a big problem.
When I have the piezo´s connected the music "hacks" when I turn up the music real loud. When i disconnect the piezos it works fine.

I use the maxamp reciever as you recomended. But when i calculated the ohm of the paralell connection I got it to be 2 ohm, is this right? Its connected as the boominator for dummies example, , but I read somewhere that the boominator should be 4 ohm?

On the maxamp site the spec says that its only 4 or 8 ohm stable.
Specificaties - Maxamp 12V Amplifier

I would really appriciate some help here! :)

//Daniel

Answered on the facebook page.

Cause: Missing series resistors on the piezos.

Made some progress on my battery pack today:
IMG_0358Medium_zps27380ade.jpg

Currently 8 cells wired for 4S2P and converted to a steady 14V. Should fit right into the middle compartment of the Boominator.

Tweeters also came in
IMG_0345Medium_zpse0e0cd1e.jpg

All wooden panels will be CNC milled in a few weeks, can't wait to start building this monster :D

Edit:
@Saturnus, you were exactly right on the facebook page about the resistor and output filter :)

Last edited:
Hi, i'm wondering about the "Monacor SP60/4" what cabinet size is optimal for outdoor use? I'm amping it with a AMP6B. Should the box be vented or closed, for outdoor use ? which one is "better" ?
And if it's closed should the speakers be in separate cabinets and vice versa ?
I don't know if this is the right thread to ask in but i don't bother starting a new thread for just these' questions. Just need these guidelines to start planning the box since i have everything else figured out :p

Driver specs: SP-60/4 - Monacor HiFi bass-midrange speakers 60Wmax 4Ω - Europe Audio

Hi, i'm wondering about the "Monacor SP60/4" what cabinet size is optimal for outdoor use? I'm amping it with a AMP6B. Should the box be vented or closed, for outdoor use ? which one is "better" ?
And if it's closed should the speakers be in separate cabinets and vice versa ?
I don't know if this is the right thread to ask in but i don't bother starting a new thread for just these' questions. Just need these guidelines to start planning the box since i have everything else figured out :p

Driver specs: SP-60/4 - Monacor HiFi bass-midrange speakers 60Wmax 4Ω - Europe Audio

Usually every driver should get their own enclosure. If you're driving two of the same speakers on the same channel, you can just double the enclosure size if it's a closed box design. With a vented design you will need to calculate the port.

V-Bro from 41hz forum have had some experience with the SP-60 and he stated that 4 liters in a closed box worked the best for him.

You will need to pair the SP-60 with something else than the motorola piezo replicas which are normally used for the boominator, due to them having a higher sensitivity than the SP-60. The Dayton ND16FA-6 are a fine and cheap choice. You will need a highpass filter for the Daytons in the 4-6 kHz region. A 5 µF MKP (metallized polypropylene) capacitor in series with the Daytons will do. After testing this capacitor value, you can evaluate if you should make the value lower or higher for a satisfying sound. There is no way around doing listening tests and see what sounds the best.

(Note: Tweeters and woofers can be in the same enclosure together. It's only woofers which must have separate enclosures unless playing on the same channel - i.e. in phase all the time)

First time builder

Hello everybody. I am totally new to this forum and all things to do with speaker building ect, so please go easy on me.

Could anybody tell me a good page to start with in regards to building a Boominator? There seem to be quite a few changes since the first page, and I think i'll struggle to go through all 430+ pages.

I also read that Saturnus did not recommend the use of the Lepai 2020 tripath amplifier, and I wondered for what reason is this?

On this, does anybody know of a decent tripath amplifier that also has bass and treble controls?

Many thanks,

Guy

Hello everybody. I am totally new to this forum and all things to do with speaker building ect, so please go easy on me.

Could anybody tell me a good page to start with in regards to building a Boominator? There seem to be quite a few changes since the first page, and I think i'll struggle to go through all 430+ pages.

I also read that Saturnus did not recommend the use of the Lepai 2020 tripath amplifier, and I wondered for what reason is this?

On this, does anybody know of a decent tripath amplifier that also has bass and treble controls?

Many thanks,

Guy

Don't worry about treble/bass control. You can use the equalizer your music source has (assuming it has an equalizer).

The Lepai is a cheap build, thus it is not very sturdy. Go with a AMP6 if you can solder it. Otherwise go to eBay and buy something around 30 $ in an alu-casing (you may have to pay an import fee when buying from eBay).

For more information about the boominator go to the Boominator WIKI: Boominator - Boominator

Don't worry about treble/bass control. You can use the equalizer your music source has (assuming it has an equalizer).

The Lepai is a cheap build, thus it is not very sturdy. Go with a AMP6 if you can solder it. Otherwise go to eBay and buy something around 30 $ in an alu-casing (you may have to pay an import fee when buying from eBay).

For more information about the boominator go to the Boominator WIKI: Boominator - Boominator

Just FIY, the currently recommended amp is the maxamp20 from Home - Maxamp 12V Versterker

I recommend that over any other amp, even the amp6, as the current state-of-the-art amp. As long as you don't require 24V power capability that is. It's about the same price as the amp6 but no soldering is required.

Last edited:
Its about the same as the AMP6, ~55mA. The LED takes about 5mA, so you can remove the resistor(or the led, but the resistor is easier to replace) to lower the idle current by 5mA. Low power efficiency is better than the AMP6 (or any TA2020 amp) though. For example, at 4W the MaxAmp would be ~83% efficient according the the datasheet, while the TA2020 only reaches ~60% at that point.

Electronics are starting to come together nicely :)
IMG_1263copy_zpse4210146.jpg

Only thing left to buy is a efficient power supply that fits the boominator cabinet.

Last edited:
Yep I took 4W output as an example, as most won't be using much more power with a high efficient design as the Boominator most of the time. Max output is 22.5W, with the usual 10% THD and with a 14VDC power source. At 1% THD you would be looking at 17.5W output per channel.

@Lukteveld, i'm going to solder all connections instead of using large connectors.

Last edited: