The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

I saw the recommendation for minidsp. I will think about it.

If BJ thinks the passive is good, then that will probably be fine.

Passive sounds good but I'm sure that active mini dsp would be better. However it needs a four channel amp or two stereo ones and makes the build more complicated. I'm sure that everything wouldn't fit in the standard size electronics compartment..... I'm happy with mine but I do intend to use mini dsp on my next build.....
BJ

Nice with some photos!

I will use the CCTTV 9800mah (real capacity is around 4800mah so that will give 24h playtime on a maxed volume). I attach it at the recessed dish from Adam Hall through a DC connection. I love to have it outside the box so you easy can change it and have multiple batterys. Have ypu recalculated the inner volyme to fit the battery or have you chosen to see away from the changed inner volume?

I was also thinking of installing a output to charge the phone/MP3 from but I think I will skip it this time.

How are you going to fix the outer finish? I want a clossy black finish but dot know the best way to get this, any tips?

I haven't changed any dimensions at all. The SLA battery is a perfect fit inside the middle compartment (we will have it sitting upright, rather than lying down). There is also room in there for the amp as well as the solar charge controller.

Haven't tried this before, but I'm thinking this might produce an interesting finish for the Qubinators:

Make It Stone! Textured Paint - | Krylon

After a few rounds of sanding and priming, I think we will use the above product to get a nice stone type of finish.

Don't have advice to give here, as I'm relatively new to all this...

If you are upgrading the speakers to S2010 and PHT-407N, then I would also upgrade the amp to either the 4 channel AMP9B with a MiniDSP or to a TK2050 with a passive XO.
If you are not in a hurry, then you could also wait for the release of the über nice "Boominator amp" the Shiznit.

I love the sound of the boominator amp, it is still only 2 channel so you would need two to run the mini dsp...... that puts about £200 on the cost as well as the extra complexity....

and..... you assume that everyone has the skills to build the AMP9, I don't, so its out of the question for me..... which is a shame.

the PHT's were cheaper than the decent piezos from the USA, thats why I used them......

BJ

Anyone know if this solar panel will work? The 23v max output is what bothers me.
10W Solar Panel

Here's an alternative:
Amazon.com: Coleman 58025 10W Amorphous Solar panel: Automotive

Do not connect the solar panels directly to the AMP, you will fry it.... However, when connected to the AMP in parallel with the batteries, the batteries buffer the voltage..... my voltage on a really sunny day never goes beyond 14v, even though I know that my panels measured 21v......

BJ

Ok, I have another battery/electrical question that someone may be able to answer. I am planning on putting in a USB charger for mp3 players, phones, etc, into the interface. I was thinking I could just wire one of these onto the battery along with the solar cells:
Amazon.com: Kinivo CX-28 Low profile USB car charger - Optimized for Iphone 4(S), 3GS, Ipods and other Apple devices (Quick charge): Cell Phones & Accessories

Could this USB also be used to charge the battery from an AC outlet? Something like a standard electronics charger such as this (except with standard USB line and no micro USB):
Amazon.com: Universal Micro USB Home and Travel AC Adapter and Charger with USB to Micro USB Cable Kindle Fire HD: Cell Phones & Accessories

The reason is I plan on using this half of the time in a garage where there is no sun, so it may be nice to plug it into an outlet.

Ok, I have another battery/electrical question that someone may be able to answer. I am planning on putting in a USB charger for mp3 players, phones, etc, into the interface. I was thinking I could just wire one of these onto the battery along with the solar cells:
Amazon.com: Kinivo CX-28 Low profile USB car charger - Optimized for Iphone 4(S), 3GS, Ipods and other Apple devices (Quick charge): Cell Phones & Accessories

Could this USB also be used to charge the battery from an AC outlet? Something like a standard electronics charger such as this (except with standard USB line and no micro USB):
Amazon.com: Universal Micro USB Home and Travel AC Adapter and Charger with USB to Micro USB Cable Kindle Fire HD: Cell Phones & Accessories

The reason is I plan on using this half of the time in a garage where there is no sun, so it may be nice to plug it into an outlet.

I have exactly the same requirement - to use the boombox in the garage.

I tried a few alternatives (including the use of a laptop power supply). I settled on having 2 separate inputs:

1) Standard DC input jack -this is where the solar panel gets plugged in when outdoors
NEW 5 5 MM X 2 5 MM DC Power Jack Socket Female Panel Mount Connector | eBay

2) 12V cigarette lighter socket - this is where the SLA battery trickle charger gets plugged in when indoors (but when running off the solar panel outdoors, this socket can be used to charge your MP3 player... and this is also where I plug in one of those voltmeters to check on the battery)
12VDC Universal CAR Bike Motorcycle Cigarette Lighter Socket Mounting Panel Plug | eBay

The SLA battery trickle charger I have is this one:
12V 350mA Sealed Lead Acid Battery Charger - Jaycar Electronics

Does anyone have experience with powering and using a Behringer Xenyx 302 mini-mixer (Behringer: XENYX 302USB) from an SLA-battery via usb charger in cigarette socket (it is powered through usb), to use together with a Boominator? You can plug in a microphone and switch between 2 RCA inputs. It gives an RCA output, you can plug in headphones or a headset microphone. For € 42, this looks like a bang for the buck to me! It uses 500 mA. Good idea or not, maybe better alternatives?

I did that with the 302USB, and when I powered the mixer via USB port in a car lighter port that was wired to a barrier strip that was wired to the solar controller, I ended up frying the mixer when I turned the volume up from my Fiio Alpen DAC (not connected to the battery as it's got it's own). I'm sure I forgot to do something. Anybody else ou there use the 302USB successfully?

Why did you use the DAC?... I'm not planning to use solar panels and I don't really know how it works with the controller, but can't you wire the mixer directly to the battery? Maybe you put too much gain through the mixer because of the DAC, I don't know... For the time you could use it, did you like it? :)

I did that with the 302USB, and when I powered the mixer via USB port in a car lighter port that was wired to a barrier strip that was wired to the solar controller, I ended up frying the mixer when I turned the volume up from my Fiio Alpen DAC (not connected to the battery as it's got it's own). I'm sure I forgot to do something. Anybody else ou there use the 302USB successfully?

Why would you want to amplify as signal that is already going into a preamp? so your fiio boosted the signal which was way to much for the preamp in the mixer. You don't need both.

I like the idea of powering a mixer from the boominator but you may get ground loop noise issues if your mixer is powered by the same power source (battery) as the boominator.... also, what current does the mixer pull? the usb outlet may not be rated for that, it is only really designed for charging mobile phones.....

To make sure that this doesnt happen to me I use a battery powered mixer Behringer: XENYX 1002B

In all of Saturnus's great advice he has given on this fantastic design of his, he always advocates that a different power source is used instead of the boominator batteries for external devices.
1. to eleiminate the ground loop issue
2. To ensure that the boominators power supply is not diminished

Remember, the boominator design is perfect for what it is designed for, which is basically an off grid active PA speaker (in stereo no less). As soon as you want it to to do more, you'll run into trouble.......

For me, I know that I can run LED lights off it for a sundown to sunup party but if I were at a three day festival, the lights would have to be powered seperately..... same with a mixer.....

BJ

what current does the mixer pull? the usb outlet may not be rated for that, it is only really designed for charging mobile phones.....

BJ

I wouldn't expect that to be an issue: 5v @ 1A is the standard for usb, though iPads require 5.1v @ 2A to charge properly.

I believe the mixer pulls 500mA, so it runs along at 2.5w. Not a horrendous amount IMO, and probably wouldn't drain much juice from the Boominator, given that people are using them to charge phones etc.

Why would you want to amplify as signal that is already going into a preamp? so your fiio boosted the signal which was way to much for the preamp in the mixer. You don't need both.

I like the idea of powering a mixer from the boominator but you may get ground loop noise issues if your mixer is powered by the same power source (battery) as the boominator.... also, what current does the mixer pull? the usb outlet may not be rated for that, it is only really designed for charging mobile phones.....

To make sure that this doesnt happen to me I use a battery powered mixer Behringer: XENYX 1002B

In all of Saturnus's great advice he has given on this fantastic design of his, he always advocates that a different power source is used instead of the boominator batteries for external devices.
1. to eleiminate the ground loop issue
2. To ensure that the boominators power supply is not diminished

Remember, the boominator design is perfect for what it is designed for, which is basically an off grid active PA speaker (in stereo no less). As soon as you want it to to do more, you'll run into trouble.......

For me, I know that I can run LED lights off it for a sundown to sunup party but if I were at a three day festival, the lights would have to be powered seperately..... same with a mixer.....

BJ

Indeed, it makes no sence to have 2 preamps, he just fried his mixer cause of too much gain input. Since the mixer pulls 500 mA, it's perfect for an usb cig adapter. Even the minor ones can give 500 mA. An external 7,2 Ah battery for the mixer can be a good alternative indeed. You don't always have to power the mixer, and it will still go like 12 hours on this battery I guess. I don't see why you would use the Behringer Xenyx 1002B... 1) How long do the batteries give the mixer power? 2) It's more than double the price of the Xenyx 302 3) It's bigger, it weighs 2,5 kg which makes it less portable 4) Why would you need that much inputs?? :p The Xenyx 302 is perfect... You can insert a mic or whatever with a jack or an XLR, and you can insert 2 devices with RCA plug.

Indeed, it makes no sence to have 2 preamps, he just fried his mixer cause of too much gain input. Since the mixer pulls 500 mA, it's perfect for an usb cig adapter. Even the minor ones can give 500 mA. An external 7,2 Ah battery for the mixer can be a good alternative indeed. You don't always have to power the mixer, and it will still go like 12 hours on this battery I guess. I don't see why you would use the Behringer Xenyx 1002B... 1) How long do the batteries give the mixer power? 2) It's more than double the price of the Xenyx 302 3) It's bigger, it weighs 2,5 kg which makes it less portable 4) Why would you need that much inputs?? :p The Xenyx 302 is perfect... You can insert a mic or whatever with a jack or an XLR, and you can insert 2 devices with RCA plug.

I've been using it for busking...... I've been running a mic, 3 instruments and a stereo backing track...... Works perfectly...... If the USB mixer works, I may get one for general use......
BJ

Since you play one or several instruments, the device can serve multiple purposes indeed, and the setup with the Boominator is one of them. In general use, I don't see any advantage of buying the Xenyx 1002B above the Xenyx 302 for usage with the Boominator. :) I don't think alot of people are going to take their Boominator and 3 instruments to the beach, it isn't very portable. ^^