The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

It has something to do with the rim of the HP10W. It doesn't begin until I hit a certain volume (which isn't loud at all) but then continues to be there even if I turn down the volume again, untill it disappears again when it's very low.

I took a small piece of dumb wood, that fitted trough the holes in the grill, and while playing very gently pressed the shiny part of the rim, where the rattle comes from. This made the rattle disappear, but only for a second or so.

Could it be that something is stuck on the backside of the rim, that starts ratteling along? I tried looking through the reflex port but the view is very limited.

It's awefully annoying, both to listen to, but also the fact that I don't understand what's causing it.

Edit: The rattle is also triggered by bass and kicks when listening to music.

Last edited:
Yes indeed it would!

Good idea, I'll try that tomorrow.

So far the only thing that made the sound disappear (for a second) was to gently push the rim through the grill. I don't know how the rim is made, but if it's made of layers, it's as if the layers aren't pressed together correctly.

So far the only thing that made the sound disappear (for a second) was to gently push the rim through the grill. I don't know how the rim is made, but if it's made of layers, it's as if the layers aren't pressed together correctly.

It might be air escaping if the speaker isn't completely sealed (can happen especially if screws have been over tightened) and causing poorer bass at low output and the sealing gasket to vibrate like a flute leaf at higher output.

Despite the low amplifier output the mechanical forces inside a Boominator are quite intense, and like it only takes a small hole in dam to cause a failure so it is here.

Last edited:
It might be air escaping if the speaker isn't completely sealed (can happen especially if screws have been over tightened) and causing poorer bass at low output and the sealing gasket to vibrate like a flute leaf at higher output.

Despite the low amplifier output the mechanical forces inside a Boominator are quite intense, and like it only takes a small hole in dam to cause a failure so it is here.

I fully understand what you mean. But still hard for me to understand if this is the case.

I tried recording the sound.

I also took a few pics.

I couldn't upload the audio file. Edit: Here's a link to dropbox. Should work: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xtb9ynca1n4rrkr/Memo.m4a

It's not easy to see on the picture of the grill, but sealant are between the holes in the grill. When I sealed it I put sealant, grill, sealant, HP10W, screewed it on and the in the end sealant around the edge.

Attachments

• IMG_2233.jpg
    IMG_2233.jpg
    285.9 KB · Views: 329
  • IMG_2234.jpg
    IMG_2234.jpg
    374.9 KB · Views: 314
Last edited:
just ordered my AMP6 basic...... can't wait..... I tried to add a note to say that it was for a boominator so that 41Hz include the component mods.... I couldn't see a facility to add a note to my order..... I sent it as a message with a reference to the order number so i hope that works..........

I've been a bit worried about my soldering skills, they are not that great.... still, I'm hoping for the best and that I dont waste E40......

*BJ*

Hi! I have been a long time follower of this project and finally got the chance to try it out this year! Just got a couple questions that I hope someone can help me with.

I barley manage to get my hands on the last 2 Hp-10W woofers left on Hifikit (sorry Pumpitup) and since i just could get 2 I'm curious if I could build a vented Qubinator and ever so slightly modify it to fit 2 or 4 Piezos? I'm aware of the fact that the Qubinator was intended to be built with the HP-10T but I'm planning on building the real thing next year with the additional set of HP-10Ws.
I have no clue at all how to calculate a vented box, how long/wide it the vent should be e.t.c, If I did beset those skills I wouldn't freeload of any of you, Sorry.

Lastly I guess i hardly matters which of the QLM-1005 and MPT-001 i choose since they can't be compared to the one originally intended? (Post #3407)

Yeah, you need to build a halfinator......... lots of info about on these...

I fully understand what you mean. But still hard for me to understand if this is the case.

I tried recording the sound.

I also took a few pics.

I couldn't upload the audio file.

It's not easy to see on the picture of the grill, but sealant are between the holes in the grill. When I sealed it I put sealant, grill, sealant, HP10W, screewed it on and the in the end sealant around the edge.

From what I can see, it looks OK..... however, I have used the same grills on mine, I like the look of these grills but out of the four, one of them is notably thinner, more flexible and generally more flimsy than the others...... Poor chinese QA..... I have been a bit worried about this because i thought it might "ring" with vibration...... I haven't noticed so far (I hope I never do) but next time, I will use the more sturdy PA type grills........ Do you think that yours might be "ringing".........

*BJ*

From what I can see, it looks OK..... however, I have used the same grills on mine, I like the look of these grills but out of the four, one of them is notably thinner, more flexible and generally more flimsy than the others...... Poor chinese QA..... I have been a bit worried about this because i thought it might "ring" with vibration...... I haven't noticed so far (I hope I never do) but next time, I will use the more sturdy PA type grills........ Do you think that yours might be "ringing".........

*BJ*

It's actually the kind I recommend. However, if one is obviously not up to spec. Don't use it, get another.

You can get them here Speaker Grilles

*BJ*

It's definately not the grills. Maybe they're not the most sturdy grills, but I would't be worried about that. I had the same thought as you, so I tried holding hand on the grill and it didn't change anything.

aabo, I hope you narrow down your problem and find a solution. Trust me, it's also frustrating for me to be unable to help because it's not a problem I've encountered or heard about before. And naturally, also being in the other end of the country.

Me too! Yes, it would be easier if I lived in CPH, amongst all the other Boominators. But thanks for all your help and suggestions anyway! :)

I'm still at the believe that it has something to do with the rim, since it stops if I push it gently. Now I'm thinking that maybe I could put an extra layer of thin silicone glue (not the sealant, thinner and transperant) or something like that, o stiffen up the rim where the sound comes from. Ofc it has to be something that wouldn't disolve the rim.

Does this sound like a possible thing to try?