The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

Qubinator

Hallo everybody

I am about to start building a quebinator. Is it correct understood that the battery and the amp are supposed to be underneath the recessed dish, in the gap between the 2 middle braces? And if yes, where can you then turn of the amp, and how are you suppose to recharge the battery if it is inside the sealed box?
I hope someone can answer the questions. :)

Hallo everybody

I am about to start building a quebinator. Is it correct understood that the battery and the amp are supposed to be underneath the recessed dish, in the gap between the 2 middle braces? And if yes, where can you then turn of the amp, and how are you suppose to recharge the battery if it is inside the sealed box?

You mount plugs and switches on the recessed dish. That's what it's there for.:D

Hallo everybody

I also wonder about how to turn on and off the amp and the battery. My battery has an on/off-switch on the box itself and the same with the amp. Now if these two are conealed inside the Qubinator, with just inputs to load the battery and an in-signal for the amp, how would I be able to turn the amp and the battery off?

Improvise

I also wonder about how to turn on and off the amp and the battery. My battery has an on/off-switch on the box itself and the same with the amp. Now if these two are conealed inside the Qubinator, with just inputs to load the battery and an in-signal for the amp, how would I be able to turn the amp and the battery off?

Extend the wires that go to the battery switch to a new switch that you mount in the recessed dish. Cut another hole in the recessed dish that is as big as your amp case, slide the amp case into the hole with the switch and the volume control facing out (next to the switch that you've just fitted for the battery) and glue the amp into the hole with epoxy). If the amp has a front flange, drill small holes in the flange and fix to the recessed dish with self tapping screws.... The recessed dish fits in the hole in the side of the qubinator so you can access the switches and controls....You need a good ruler, drill, jigsaw a file and lots of ingenuity..... The whole point of DIY audio is to figure some things out for yourself, Saturnus has done the difficult stuff, the rest is up to you....
Good luck

Extend the wires that go to the battery switch to a new switch that you mount in the recessed dish. Cut another hole in the recessed dish that is as big as your amp case, slide the amp case into the hole with the switch and the volume control facing out (next to the switch that you've just fitted for the battery) and glue the amp into the hole with epoxy). If the amp has a front flange, drill small holes in the flange and fix to the recessed dish with self tapping screws.... The recessed dish fits in the hole in the side of the qubinator so you can access the switches and controls....You need a good ruler, drill, jigsaw a file and lots of ingenuity..... The whole point of DIY audio is to figure some things out for yourself, Saturnus has done the difficult stuff, the rest is up to you....
Good luck
Thank you for your answer my good sir. This would have been an excellent idea, there is just a tiny problem. My amp seem to be a bit large. Let me show you: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3707874/boombox1.PNG
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3707874/boombox2.PNG

The only solution I could find was doing this: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3707874/boombox3.PNG

I guess I could do that, but would that ruin the sound or something? Other than this all I can think of is increasing the the total size of the box. Any other thoughts?

Edit: or is it maybe just easier to put the amp outside of the Qubinator?

Last edited:
No, I meant like your 3rd pic, sorry.... Just move the amp to the top edge but keep it vertical, there may just be enough clearance for the HP10....
Something to consider tho is that a big lump like that is changing the box volume.....

Yes I think I know what you mean, tried it earlier but it didn't work. Result: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3707874/boombox6.PNG

I have an idea of increasing the height of the Qubinator with 1cm but leaving the other dimensions as they are. If I also lower all the holes inside the box by 1cm I will have gained 2cm of extra space for my amp. I think this might be a solution...

minidsp

No. It's still 4 ohms. That's what a filter does ;)

I still highly encourage to use active filters (analog or digital) if you're not using a piezo.

I have been looking at a minidsp which appears to need biamping, unless the 2 channels can be split at the output stage of the AMP6 rather than the input..... and the final costs are going up all the time.....

BJ