The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

If I am playing this mostly inside on AC, wouldn't it be better to not change input caps so it is full range? Is the reason for changing them that stuff under 60hz is mostly lost outdoors? My box can reproduce down to like 10hz indoors. I just want to know the theory.

Also what type of pot should I use to set the max volume? I saw one called the Jackpot, that lifts the ground when it's at max so there is zero resistance. Is one type quieter/ lower resistance than another?

The SP60 may be ok without a tweeter?

From https://sites.google.com/site/stevesstuffproject/doublebass

" This is not a full range driver but I was surprised by the amount of top end energy, similar in many ways to the FR10 being a bit harsh and peaky.

I connected a 0.4mH coil in series to the SP-60 to give a 6db per octave roll-off from 3000Hz with the intention of adding a tweeter. This turned out to be unnecessary to my ears.

The roll-off has tamed the top end without much loss of detail when listening on axis. Bass performance is excellent.

It might also benefit further from a phase plug."

In fact the SP60's are so cheap I'm tempted to order a pair and see how they sound without a tweeter. :smash:

Hi mike
I bought the HP10s from Interteknik in Germany, easy ordering online, cheap shipping, arrived within 7 days..... Everything else if from the UK
BJ

Thanks, I'll check them out, in fact I'm tempted to try building a halfinator and it's nice to know that you can get the HP10s delivered to the UK. :)

Hi guys!
I am planning on building a boombox of my own. Will be using it for outside partys this summer. I have been spending the last couple of days reading on forums about what to buy and what is the best setup and also how to build it.
However I could need your help a litle bit, it seems I'm stuck... :eek:

From what I have read there are 2 alternatives for me on the question about what amplifier to buy and that is
1: AMP6-Basic (assembled) or
2: Lepai LP-2020A+ , both with the TA2020 card.

My first though was to get the carspeakers JBL 938 and connect it to a AMP6 or a Lepai. But then I found this thread, and you Saturnus, opened my eyes for the Boominator. Now the problem is I have no knowledge about the electronic and I have no idea how to use filters and calibrate the tweeter and bass and what parts to get to do so.

So my question is: should I do it the simple way and buy the JBL 938 speakers and the Lepai, or should I sit down and learn a whole lot about speakers/resistanses/ohm etc etc and try to create a replica of your monster?

And also, is the JBL938+Lepai a good setup? Do you have any other suggestions for an easy setup? :)

hejbabi

STAY AWAY from the Lepai amps!!!!!!!!!!!!! They are very poorly built with bad quality pcb and bad quality components.

If your gonna use the TA2020, atleast get an amp with good quality parts such as a kit from 41hz.com or a prebuilt amp from SMSL, such as the sa-s1, this amp use very good quality components compared to the lepai bogus that likely even use counterfeit ta2020 ics.

STAY AWAY from the Lepai amps!!!!!!!!!!!!! They are very poorly built with bad quality pcb and bad quality components.

If your gonna use the TA2020, atleast get an amp with good quality parts such as a kit from 41hz.com or a prebuilt amp from SMSL, such as the sa-s1, this amp use very good quality components compared to the lepai bogus that likely even use counterfeit ta2020 ics.
Oh I see, thank you for the heads up! :)

Found this one on ebay: SMSL Silver SA S1 TA2020 20W 2 Pro Audio Class T Tripath Digital Amplifier Hi Fi | eBay
Is there any way to know if this is the real deal or not?

A friend of mine bought one of those smsl sa-s1 amps at dealsextreme and reports the use of high quality parts and really excellent sound quality.

I cannot comment on the ebay veriety but id suspect its a cheap ripoff branded with the same brand and model number and using low quality sh*t parts.

23,000mah Solar Battery/Charger, will it work with the Boominator?

Are there any drawbacks in using this kind of Solar/battery charger?:
23000mAh Solar Charger Backup Power Bank Battery for Samsung Galaxy S3 III S9300 | eBay

It seem like it could be more versatile in that it could be used for other things besides just powering the Boominator.

"...Brand new High capacity 23000mAh Solar battery.... 12V/16/19V laptops, such as Acer, HP, Asus, Dell, IBM, Sony, Benq, Toshiba etc....With advanced intelligent protection chip, the overcharge protection, discharge, discharge protection, overload protection chip, short circuit protection, leakage protection, and five heavy security protection.

SunPower Solar panel High-efficiency Monocrystalline Silicon solar panel, conversion rate > 22%, normal life>20 years.

Battery Type: Li-Polymer 5159115PL*6 Battery
Capacity:23000mAh
Input:DC 9-12V 2A Solar Charger:10V 220-230mA
Output: DC 12V/16V/19V 2A USB 5V/2A
Dimension:222*126*21mm
Weight:649g
Charging time:about 8h for DC Charging...."

For $116 USD, it seems to be more convenient than having to put together the battery, solar charger controller and the solar panels yourself. But will it have enough to power a MKII Boominator at full volume, and for how long? Anybody know? Thanks in advance.

23,000mAH Solar Battery 2.jpg 23,000mAH Solar Battery 32.jpg

Attachments

• 23,000mAH Solar Battery.jpg
    23,000mAH Solar Battery.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 354
Facetted Speaker Baffles

Saturnus, Do you know if the Boominator would benefit from facetted baffles? I was looking through Troels Gravesen's speaker website and saw his Illumina 66 speaker design. So I was wondering if this was a good idea.

I do know that it would make the cabinet heavier, as the baffles would have to be at least twice as thick. I just wanted to get your thoughts on this. Thanks. Illumina-66-intro-3-small.jpg

So my question is: should I do it the simple way and buy the JBL 938 speakers and the Lepai, or should I sit down and learn a whole lot about speakers/resistanses/ohm etc etc and try to create a replica of your monster?

And also, is the JBL938+Lepai a good setup? Do you have any other suggestions for an easy setup? :)

hejbabi

The answer is: Do it the simple way, use the boominator design. This includes buying 4 x hp10w's, 4 x piezo tweeters, an Amp basic and some marine ply. There is no alternatives :) only the best.

The answer is: Do it the simple way, use the boominator design. This includes buying 4 x hp10w's, 4 x piezo tweeters, an Amp basic and some marine ply. There is no alternatives :) only the best.

But wouldn't this require me to use filters etc? I don't know anything about those things. I also don't know anything about soldering. :confused:

Found this on DX btw: SMSL SA-S3 Digital Hi-Fi Amplifier in black - TA2021B Class-T, 2 x 25W
Apparently it uses a TA2021b... Anything of interest?

Okay I'm asking you Saturnus, what would you have me do? :)

hejbabi

Hi guys I am not exactly looking to build a boominator at the moment but something similar so I thought I would come here and let you know what I planned on doing.

I was planning on using an old ammo crate as my box and using focal access component speakers all around. I'm probably just going to go with a car stereo since it seems to be the most user friendly and full of features. Bluetooth audio, usb, cd, EQ and so on. I was also planning to use a 12v 20ah lithium ion battery but I see the post above Saturnus says not to use them. Which is really what prompted me to post.

Just like to know from people with experience what works and what doesn't.

Oh also I didn't have time to build anything right now so I had someone build a small box for me. I was planning on using the same headunit in the ammo crate. I added a couple of pictures. We use it outback when we BBQ.

Attachments

• 539669_10151638774029575_838222061_n.jpg
    539669_10151638774029575_838222061_n.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 364
  • 61487_10151638775229575_682186622_n.jpg
    61487_10151638775229575_682186622_n.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 351
Okay guys as you don't answer I will not bother you anymore. However I just have one question. The JBL GTO-938 has an impedance of 2Ohm, but most of the amplifiers uses 4Ohm or 8Ohm.
Will I be able to use 2Ohm speakers with amplifiers that use 4Ohm? Do I have to get a resistor/converter of any kind for this purpose?

But wouldn't this require me to use filters etc? I don't know anything about those things. I also don't know anything about soldering. :confused:

All information you need to build one is in this thread, most of it compiled in the wiki at Boominator. You don't need soldering or woodworking experience, although it helps.

Please keep in mind this is Do It Yourself audio. People here answer questions out of interest only. You are required to do the background research yourself. No projects (that I know of) here have step by step guide, and I'm not going to make one. Nor should anyone.

Last edited: