Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th June 2011, 10:38 AM   #1811
rubennn is offline rubennn  Denmark
diyAudio Member

I was just charging my paralleled batteries this morning. After 4-5 hours of charging they are at 100 % according to my charger. As I removed the charger from I suddenly noticed a bubbling noise coming from the batteries. They were slightly warm on the sides when I touched them. Is it the acid inside boiling or what? Is it dangerous?

It's like a little bubbly noise and it was definately coming from the batteries.
Old 16th June 2011, 11:44 AM   #1812
Wubbaz is offline Wubbaz  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnib View Post
1. Where can i get the P.Audio HP10W ? Can you recommend another woofer ? Same quality ? If not then i rather wait if it's not in stock ?
Against all odds, I have managed to get hold of 4 HP-10W's from the site Unbenanntes Dokument before Roskilde Festival. You should order from there, really great service. I believe they got a shipment home last week - I do not know how many they ordered, but I suggest you try and email them.

Quote:
2. I have managed to get my hands on 2 brand new 6600mAh / 98Wh Lithium-Ion batteries which i intend to use. Any ideas on these ?
These sound good. I suggest you parallel them if you are only using 12V (I assume they are 12V batteries).
Old 16th June 2011, 11:48 AM   #1813
Wubbaz is offline Wubbaz  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubennn View Post
I was just charging my paralleled batteries this morning. After 4-5 hours of charging they are at 100 % according to my charger. As I removed the charger from I suddenly noticed a bubbling noise coming from the batteries. They were slightly warm on the sides when I touched them. Is it the acid inside boiling or what? Is it dangerous?

It's like a little bubbly noise and it was definately coming from the batteries.
As far as I remember, batteries emit hydrogen and oxygen when charging. I assume that is the "bubbly sound" you could hear. It is very important that batteries are well-ventilated when charging, else hydrogen can build up and explode.

It is natural that batteries get hot when charging. If they get so hot you cannot touch them, you should turn them off. Too much heat can damage the plates inside the battery and if the battery is extremely hot there is danger of explosion. But since you could touch it without burning your hand, I guess it is fine.
Old 16th June 2011, 11:55 AM   #1814
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Sounds like your charger might be on the big side. But at least the emergency air pressure valve worked, so no harm done.
Old 16th June 2011, 11:58 AM   #1815
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wubbaz View Post
These sound good. I suggest you parallel them if you are only using 12V (I assume they are 12V batteries).
Never parallel regular li-ion battery. Just don't do it.
Old 16th June 2011, 12:25 PM   #1816
donnib is offline donnib  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wubbaz View Post
Against all odds, I have managed to get hold of 4 HP-10W's from the site Unbenanntes Dokument before Roskilde Festival. You should order from there, really great service. I believe they got a shipment home last week - I do not know how many they ordered, but I suggest you try and email them.

Thank you very much. Will give them a call today before i place order. I can see different models of HP-10W. Do u know what the difference are?
Old 16th June 2011, 12:32 PM   #1817
diyAudio Member

My charger was bought in T-hansen last year. It's chinese engineering (very bad english spelling). It says 6 AMP on the side, but the T-hansen guy told me that it would turn off at max and that it would turn down the intensity if the battery was of the smaller kind.

So I guess a 6 AMP charger is on the big side.

But charging them with solar power at 5W is okay to do in a closed or partly closed container or?
Old 16th June 2011, 01:09 PM   #1818
diyAudio Member

Quote:
My charger was bought in T-hansen last year. It's chinese engineering (very bad english spelling). It says 6 AMP on the side, but the T-hansen guy told me that it would turn off at max and that it would turn down the intensity if the battery was of the smaller kind.

So I guess a 6 AMP charger is on the big side.

But charging them with solar power at 5W is okay to do in a closed or partly closed container or?
How big are the batteries again. Remember, max A rating of charger =< Ah rating of battery / 5
Old 16th June 2011, 01:40 PM   #1819
donnib is offline donnib  Denmark
diyAudio Member

@Saturnus or somebody else. Can u recommend a good tweeter from these guys Unbenanntes Dokument ? If i order my HP-10W from them i might as well order the tweeters aswell to to save the shipping.
Old 16th June 2011, 02:20 PM   #1820
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnus View Post
How big are the batteries again. Remember, max A rating of charger =< Ah rating of battery / 5
They are 9 Ah each. So I guess that would make 18 Ah when charging them in parallel?

18/5=3,6...

So that's not good enough But I've earlier been charging them one at a time with the same charger with no bubbly noise. How come

Hide this!Advertise here!