The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine - Page 171 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st June 2011, 03:58 PM   #1701
diyAudio Member

Yeah
Old 1st June 2011, 06:25 PM   #1702
diyAudio Member

Looks like a stripped golf cart you used as a trailer. Nice.

How's the sound?
Old 1st June 2011, 06:27 PM   #1703
diyAudio Member

Yeah, it's 149 DKK in Stadium and perfect for the job when you remove the fittings to hold the golfbag. Coupled with half a meter of garden hose and a bolt and some washers it's the perfect trailer.

The sound is really good, though the piezo's distort over 75-80% volume :-/ and the piezo's are a bit too loud at lower volumes. Playing at 50-60% is perfect.

Edit: As an afterthought I should have used 1. more expensive piezo's and 2. insulated them with some foam. But what the hell, it's miles better than my stereo last year was.

Last edited by Picarro; 1st June 2011 at 06:31 PM.
Old 1st June 2011, 06:46 PM   #1704
diyAudio Member

If the piezos are a bit loud you can lower their level by putting a cap in series. Seeing as those are replica types start with about 0.1uF in series and see if that's enough or too little.
Old 1st June 2011, 06:49 PM   #1705
diyAudio Member

the box is all glued up, so unless it's something I can do from the central "command hole" there's no way to get it done.
Old 1st June 2011, 07:09 PM   #1706
diyAudio Member

I guess if you had access to surgical equipment you could do it through the reflex ports but no. it's not something you can change now then. You did have resistors in series, right?
Old 1st June 2011, 07:18 PM   #1707
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnus View Post
I guess if you had access to surgical equipment you could do it through the reflex ports but no. it's not something you can change now then. You did have resistors in series, right?
Yup, a 150 ohm resistor for each piezo. Hmm, I might actually have acces to equipment which would let me pull the wire out through the bass port, solder on a cap and then reinsert it. But that's just so complicated .. :-/
Old 1st June 2011, 08:35 PM   #1708
diyAudio Member

Rubennn, in your slideshow of the production of your Boominator, it looks like the plywood you bought was already carved, when it arrived to you ? where did you order them?
Old 2nd June 2011, 10:35 AM   #1709
diyAudio Member

Quote:
A thoughrough assembly instruction is being written but it'll have to wait a while until I can get all the parts myself so I can take photos while doing it. And it will be a locked pdf document that you can download for pay (probably EUR10/USD15).
Looking forward to that Saturnus :P
Old 2nd June 2011, 12:07 PM   #1710
Wubbaz is offline Wubbaz  Denmark
diyAudio Member

What exactly does SPL mean for a speaker? How loud it can play or just how much watt it consumes to produce sound?

I am asking this since the GW-1058 has 94,2 SPL while the HP-10W has 96 SPL. Would there be a noticeable difference between the HP-10W and the GW-1058 sound-wise?

Hide this!Advertise here!