The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine - Page 132 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2011, 11:20 AM   #1311
ThokN is offline ThokN  Denmark
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Copenhagen
Alright, but couldn't it be a good thing to place one tweeter in the middle as they have done? Or do you think a tweeter on each side sounds better? Or maybe louder?
  Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2011, 11:25 AM   #1312
diyAudio Member
 
Saturnus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThokN View Post
Alright, but couldn't it be a good thing to place one tweeter in the middle as they have done? Or do you think a tweeter on each side sounds better? Or maybe louder?
The principle is meant to have a tweeter on each side, or the drivers on those sides being full-range. What the top/center, whatever mounted tweeter does is make a narrow wave cancellation beam of high frequencies so that in a room you'll hear reverberant sound over direct sound. The center tweeter has no (positive) effect outdoors.
  Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2011, 11:35 AM   #1313
rubennn is offline rubennn  Denmark
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Copenhagen
I just have to say that I made half a boominator for a friend having him pay the materials. Once again I was a bit stressed with finishing it before the 1st of May on his request. But the sound... of what I heard (it was just a quick test)... was pretty good. Though it probably plays less loud that the original boominator, it still plays surprisingly loud for people not having heard it before - and that was my friend

Unfortunately, I haven't got all the pictures of the finished project because of the fact that it needed to be done before May 1st. I will ask my friend for some pictures and post them here soon. It's not a perfect build, a lot of visual flaws are present but I definately like that it has the same sound quality, less weight and that it doesn't take up much space.

If there's one thing I would like to do differently, it is to use a tube as port next time and place it in the front/back of the half boominator to be able to sit on it while the side that originally has the port is facing the ground. Portability also means a lot to me.

Have a good one
  Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2011, 11:42 AM   #1314
diyAudio Member
 
Saturnus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubennn View Post
If there's one thing I would like to do differently, it is to use a tube as port next time and place it in the front/back of the half boominator to be able to sit on it while the side that originally has the port is facing the ground. Portability also means a lot to me.

Have a good one
Why not just put it on the side while playing like a full size Boominator? Or is it more convenient with the roughly 50cm height compared to 30cm?
  Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2011, 11:53 AM   #1315
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Hallo everybody.
I'm about to build my new boomblaster for Roskilde 11'
I have thougt about makeing a "double boominator" with 8 hp-10w, 8 horn bubble tweetters, 2 amp6basics and of course a twice as big cabinet.
But I'm not sure about how much more sound i get in proportion to I double up all the parts, and if it is possible to use two amp6 in one system at all, I have just thought about using a jack splitter like this:
Itech Minijack splitter kabel 0,2 meter
Are there any other considerations i should have in mind?

Jonas
  Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2011, 11:57 AM   #1316
rubennn is offline rubennn  Denmark
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Copenhagen
Yeah I was thinking that it would be more convenient. Also you can only sit one on the boombox when using it the way I described (which I dunno is a good or a bad thing), but then you just tilt it to the other side.

Also it has the advantage when wanting to make a lid like this drawing:

Click the image to open in full size.
  Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2011, 11:59 AM   #1317
rubennn is offline rubennn  Denmark
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Copenhagen
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonasvj View Post
Hallo everybody.
I'm about to build my new boomblaster for Roskilde 11'
I have thougt about makeing a "double boominator" with 8 hp-10w, 8 horn bubble tweetters, 2 amp6basics and of course a twice as big cabinet.
But I'm not sure about how much more sound i get in proportion to I double up all the parts, and if it is possible to use two amp6 in one system at all, I have just thought about using a jack splitter like this:
Itech Minijack splitter kabel 0,2 meter
Are there any other considerations i should have in mind?

Jonas
Maybe you sould just consider making a regular boominator design with a more powerful amp, like the AMP9 (if it's more output you seek)

EDIT: Or maybe 2 seperate boominators running on the same signal.
  Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2011, 12:04 PM   #1318
diyAudio Member
 
Saturnus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubennn View Post
Maybe you sould just consider making a regular boominator design with a more powerful amp, like the AMP9 (if it's more output you seek)

EDIT: Or maybe 2 seperate boominators running on the same signal.
Oh, you edited it. I was about to say the same thing. Build 2 separate Boominators. It'll be easier to transport, and you have a lot more options for placement. And if you're going to the park or beach or somewhere not being Roskilde then just having to haul one Boominator will be a lot easier to manage.

EDIT: in any case, 2 Boominators will be twice as loud as one. That's a no-brainer. A Boominator with a 24V amp is also about twice as loud as one running on a 12V amp. So if you really want it loud then 2 Boominators on one 24V amp would be insanely loud. In fact one amp9b could run both.

You should note that a standard Boominator already plays louder in average SPL at 2 meter distance than what Roskilde Festival is allowed to have as maximum average SPL in front of the stages.

Last edited by Saturnus; 4th May 2011 at 12:30 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2011, 12:06 PM   #1319
diyAudio Member
 
Saturnus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubennn View Post
Yeah I was thinking that it would be more convenient. Also you can only sit one on the boombox when using it the way I described (which I dunno is a good or a bad thing), but then you just tilt it to the other side.

Also it has the advantage when wanting to make a lid like this drawing:

Click the image to open in full size.
I'd probably make sure to have the piezos in the top instead of the bottom.
  Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2011, 04:35 PM   #1320
Nahaz is offline Nahaz  Sweden
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Malmoe
Its time to close the lid, all the connections are made, secured and tested.
I will seal the lid with silicone (the rest of the box is glued) to be able to open it in the future.

Saturnus: What about dampening material, do I put anything in or let the box be "naked" on the inside?
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 01:47 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2