The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine - Page 131 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th May 2011, 08:19 AM   #1301
diyAudio Member

Can I just stop you guys before you start doing something silly and possibly destroying your amp.

If you have a stereo amp that feeds into two 8 ohms speaker, that will give the same power as a mono amp fed into the same two speakers paralleled. In fact it will give a tiny bit more because the efficiency is slightly higher.

Also you should never run piezos alone on a class D/T amp output without changing the output filter and zobel network. It's simply not designed to run highly impedant capacitive loads. The only way to do that safely is to have a power L-pad that emulates a speaker before the piezos.

So by making the box mono you get less output and you risk destroying your amp. Make it as drawing 3 above with each side playing one stereo channel.
Old 4th May 2011, 08:51 AM   #1302
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckapound View Post
Running the battery charger while you are drawing power from the battery is not a good idea for a number of reasons. Wire a switch that when in one position charges the battery and runs the boombox off a mains-powered regulated supply, and when in the other position, the mains power is off and the amp draws power from the battery.

Wiring diagram is attached. Four-pole, dual-throw switch is required, at least the way I did it.

--Buckapound
This is great. Just what I was looking for.

I'm a bit of an electrical idiot, but I think I can make this work. What confuses me is there's two bits to the diagram. The top I get (I think), the bottom I don't. Could you clarify?
Old 4th May 2011, 09:00 AM   #1303
craler is offline craler  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to craler Send a message via Skype™ to craler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnus View Post
Can I just stop you guys before you start doing something silly and possibly destroying your amp.

If you have a stereo amp that feeds into two 8 ohms speaker, that will give the same power as a mono amp fed into the same two speakers paralleled. In fact it will give a tiny bit more because the efficiency is slightly higher.

Also you should never run piezos alone on a class D/T amp output without changing the output filter and zobel network. It's simply not designed to run highly impedant capacitive loads. The only way to do that safely is to have a power L-pad that emulates a speaker before the piezos.

So by making the box mono you get less output and you risk destroying your amp. Make it as drawing 3 above with each side playing one stereo channel.
Thanks for clearing that out Saturnus, probably saved me some serious headaches

I can follow the original boominator "build-scheme" quite close with drawing #3 right?
Old 4th May 2011, 10:05 AM   #1304
diyAudio Member

Oh the irony, intertechnik only have 3 of the P.Audio HP-10Ws in stock...
Old 4th May 2011, 10:41 AM   #1306
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the list, already said yes to receive the 3 units, so just need to dig up an extra unit
Old 4th May 2011, 10:49 AM   #1307
craler is offline craler  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to craler Send a message via Skype™ to craler
Anyone that is ordering some tweeters from ebay? I'm in need of two and would happily join the order

PM me!
Old 4th May 2011, 10:59 AM   #1308
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craler View Post
Thanks for clearing that out Saturnus, probably saved me some serious headaches

I can follow the original boominator "build-scheme" quite close with drawing #3 right?
Yes, you can basically follow it 100% except for the electronics compartment in the middle.
Old 4th May 2011, 11:05 AM   #1309
ThokN is offline ThokN  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Craler, have you seen this Stereolith speaker?
Stereolith - stereolith.com

Theres a long thread about it here:
Stereolith Loudspeakers Question

And from what I've read, it should sound incredible stereowise because of some special principle. I too am building a 2-speaker boombox, and wondering if the Stereolith thing could be copied, but I have no idea if it's good for outdoor use.
Old 4th May 2011, 11:17 AM   #1310
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThokN View Post
And from what I've read, it should sound incredible stereowise because of some special principle. I too am building a 2-speaker boombox, and wondering if the Stereolith thing could be copied, but I have no idea if it's good for outdoor use.
It's basically the same as half a Boominator but with a center tweeter that outputs the summed signal for both channels at half volume (-6dB) and in reverse phase (180 phase shift). It's hardly anything new or existing really.

Hide this!Advertise here!