The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine - Page 113 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th April 2011, 11:30 AM   #1121
diyAudio Member

Oh sorry my mistake about the woofer.Having the woofer and the tweeter would cover a frenquency range of 50-40 000Hz am I right?

With 1 12V 7,2Ah battery, how long would it be able to power the system (2 woofers, 2 tweeters, 1 amp)?

Would still appreciate help whether I should put all elements on 1 side or split them.
Old 19th April 2011, 12:18 PM   #1122
Nahaz is offline Nahaz  Sweden
diyAudio Member

What is the main reason for mounting the woofers on the inside of the box?
We have already established that the woofers wont be glued together with the new woofer dimensions, but rather glued to the middle brace to compensate for the lacking "9"mm.

Is the main reason the increased stability of the baffles or the physical protection they get or a combo? Or maybe some other reason all together?
Old 19th April 2011, 12:23 PM   #1123
diyAudio Member

I am still glueing the woofers together and just adjusting the width of the box accordingly.
Old 19th April 2011, 02:23 PM   #1124
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahaz View Post
What is the main reason for mounting the woofers on the inside of the box?
I don't really understand this question because that is the best way to mount a driver, any driver.

Last edited by Saturnus; 19th April 2011 at 02:26 PM.
Old 19th April 2011, 05:12 PM   #1125
diyAudio Member

I mean mounting them from the back of the baffle ofc, instead of "normal" mounting with woofer and grill screws from the front of the baffle.
Old 19th April 2011, 05:17 PM   #1126
diyAudio Member

By the way, I got the woofers and the solar panel today.
The woofers all work, just checked using one of my trends audio TA-10.1 amps to get a feeling of the sound output.

I have some questions regarding need for regulator or not.
The Sunlinq foldable 12w panel I have now has a max output of around 8-900mAh and Im planning on using the recommended 2x7,4Ah batteries in paralell. Do you think a regulator is needed or would it be possible to skip it?
The reason Im thinking about skipping it is to have a 12v cigarette female connector in the front or on the top of the boominator and charge the batteries through that connection with the external solar panel. And when Im not charging I could use the connector to charge the mobile phone or mp3 player that is playing.
Old 19th April 2011, 05:45 PM   #1127
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahaz View Post
I mean mounting them from the back of the baffle ofc, instead of "normal" mounting with woofer and grill screws from the front of the baffle.
The only reason speakers are normally mounted on the front in production speakers is that it's much cheaper to do so. Acoustically practically every speaker sounds better when mounted on the back of the baffle instead. It also looks far better.

In my personal opinion you wouldn't need a charge controller for this use.

Last edited by Saturnus; 19th April 2011 at 05:47 PM.
Old 20th April 2011, 04:19 PM   #1128
diyAudio Member

Woofers playing, batteries bought, 12v female connector for panel mounting bought. Charging the batteries 1 by 1 now to max before i connect them. Ill give them another hit once connected in parallel.

I decided to go with 3 batteries after all, original plan was 2 but I don't want to have to rely on the weather for this years Roskilde.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (106.6 KB, 421 views)
Old 21st April 2011, 03:48 PM   #1129
diyAudio Member

Build progress:
No tweeters yet so no holes in the baffles for them. But the build is progressing nicely, so far so good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (135.8 KB, 411 views)
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (115.3 KB, 389 views)
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (94.1 KB, 320 views)
File Type: jpg 005.jpg (80.9 KB, 312 views)
File Type: jpg 006.jpg (100.0 KB, 148 views)
Old 21st April 2011, 05:13 PM   #1130
diyAudio Member

Im planning on using glue on all parts except the lid (to be able to open the box up in the future). What kind of glue would you recommend?

Also how many screws have the rest of you used on each side (900mm side and 300mm side)?

Hide this!Advertise here!