The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd June 2008, 04:07 PM   #101
diyAudio Member

You guys are amazing at giving advice so I'll just add that I use 1 amp6basic in each Boominator ... the reason the picture on the first page has 2 in it is because I made 2 Boominators at the same time ... one for myself, and one for a friend who was willing to pay the price I asked.

I don't use a volume pot myself but have exhanged the input sensitivity to suit iPods headphone output. I'd recommend using the headphone output if you use an iPod since it actually has better sound quality than the line out through the dock station. Strange but true.

You don't strictly need the tweeters ... and if you do you should use them with a 150 Ohm series resistor to flatten the frequency response. Used that way, they will actually sound pretty good, especially considering they're piezos. DLT started carrying the tweeter in Denmark, btw. Here: http://www.dlt.dk/products/productin...MenuItemID=230
Old 2nd June 2008, 04:42 PM   #102
diyAudio Member

Thanks, Saturnus. I haven't bought the speaker modules yet, so I'll just buy some tweeters from the same place, if I have enough money :-)

I assembled the AMP6 yesterday. Took me the good part of an afternoon, but it was well worth it after experiencing the result. It was all I'd hoped for and more!

So now I need a battery and charger (24Ah deep cycle, batterishoppen.dk), speakers (the german shop) and a tree case plus wheels -- and I'm running. I don't think I'll buy a potentiometer; they look too expensive and I can adjust the volume on the mp3 player.

It's going to be great!
Old 2nd June 2008, 07:45 PM   #103
v-bro is offline v-bro  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Hi, good to have you back here Saturnus...

What you could do is take a three position double deck switch and connect a few resistors to give you three volume options.

Reason?

1:There might be that moment that other people (uneducated fools) want to play their music, than you can at least limit the volume to safe levels.

2:When there's noise audible when not playing loud you can limit it.

3:It's just like a stepped attenuator, only with less settings. So you have excellent sound quality, plus you can match a few resistors to be exactly the same value for the left and right channel. Even these alledged good quality ALPS pots have unequal volume on the lower volume positions, I talk from experience and always found this quite annoying.

4:It doesn't have to be a very expensive switch. (or at least good quality costs less with three positions than with 12 or 24 like many popular stepped attenuators)

I have not done this yet on my creation here:
http://41hz.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOP...Terms=macaroni

But I will, only issue is making it waterproof....but I'll think of something....
Old 4th June 2008, 11:34 PM   #104
diyAudio Member

So, I got my battery and charger now (and the festival starts in 25 days). The battery is currently charging, but for when it's assembled, would it then fry the amp to charge the battery with it connected (I'm guessing yes)?

The charger is 1A. For 24Ah, I'm guessing a full charge would take 24 hours, or are the rules different when the battery is charged?
Old 5th June 2008, 12:04 AM   #105
diyAudio Member

No, the charger will not fry an amp6basic when connected but it might fry the charger if it's not built for constant loads.

Add 50% when calculating charge time as a rule of thumb. It depends on the individual charger and how deeply the battery was discharged but generally you take Ahbat x 1.5 / Aout. The deeper the discharge the more extra time is needed.
Old 5th June 2008, 08:20 AM   #106
diyAudio Member

On the side of the battery it says:

Stand by use: 13.5V-13.8V
Cycle use: 14.4V-15V

Need I be wary of this? I mean, the amp can only take 14.5V as an ABSOLUTE MAX. So what do you suggest?
Old 5th June 2008, 11:32 AM   #107
diyAudio Member

Absolute maximum rating is 16V, the 14.6 is a 10% safety margin plus diode drop. Don't worry about it.
Old 6th June 2008, 01:30 AM   #108
diyAudio Member

... and so it worked. Saturnus had spoken.

I originally planned on doing a magnet-to-magnet construction, but I figured that was perhaps not possible because I had only two speakers, one for the left channel and one for the right. But is that true?

I guess I'll have to test it once I get the speakers. Can't wait. Testing the system right now, and it plays perfectly with the battery and a set of regular speakers!

Thank you guys! You have been an invaluable resource in the construction of this thing.
Old 7th June 2008, 02:19 AM   #109
NED 209 is offline NED 209  Ireland
diyAudio Member

you could feed it a mono signal? some of those 3.5mm y splitters send a mono signal out the other side
*i think*

http://www.pccables.com/images/05004.jpg
Old 7th June 2008, 02:32 PM   #110
diyAudio Member

Yeah, they spit out two mono signals. One for the left channel and one for the right. I don't want to go for mono, so I think I'll just skip the magnet-to-magnet idea until I can afford two additional speakers

Right now I'm just waiting for the speaker modules so I can put it all together. Can't wait!

Hide this!Advertise here!