Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th April 2011, 04:59 PM   #1031
diyAudio Member

Hi There..

HORN BUBBLE TWEETERS 3.5" 10 PACK PIEZO PA DJ (NTX3711) | eBay

If anybody has 2 extra of those Zomax copies I would love to take them of your hands for a nice price!

Or if anybody is ordering and wants to share shipping cost please let me know!

I'm also building a Boominator copy for this years Roskilde Festival.

Only major difference from the original design will be a LED filled plexi glass bracing around the speakers to match the new speaker dimensions.

I will grab the internals and LED's from one these to fire up the plexi glass bracings YouTube - Scanic LED PAR 64

Just one question - Have I understood it correctly that this Ground Loop Isolator Hum Noise Filter for IPOD MP3 NEW | eBay will also function as a "Signal Trafo" ie. Will it raise the input gain when using a newer ipod?
And whould you recommend a homemade Stepped attenuator over a trafo?

Thank you all, especially Saturnus, this thread is amazing!
Old 9th April 2011, 06:01 AM   #1032
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubennn View Post
Okay I finished my first try on the boominator. As you may have noticed I have not done it completely as Saturnus intended. Magnets are not touching, grills are not mounted on the inside, solar panel doesn't fit on the top and some other stuff. I think I overestimated my skills building this boombox... Yet... I'm still shocked over the output this bastard can deliver and how well it sounds! I can't wait for amp, speakers and piezos to be burned in to have another listen. This boominator is for my sister's camp and it's gonna play at her birthday tonight.

I have to admit I was pretty concerned that this would be shitty cause I've been missing a lot of stuff. I am now relieved that that it didn't have so much of an impact on the sound quality as I first thought. There's still something for me to work with, but I almost can't imagine how good this will be if I did it exactly as Mr. Saturnus intended.

Thank you for sharing, dude Couldn't have done it without your help - no seriously... I couldn't.

Here's a link for the uploaded pictures (thanks to Darkwithin for the idea of uploading at photobucket.com):
Rubennn's Boominator (First try) 2011
Looks greats.

I like your idea that you can open and close to get access to the amp and batteries, i think i will do the same with mine for easy access when batteries need charging and stuff.
Old 9th April 2011, 07:38 AM   #1033
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorenorr View Post
Just one question - Have I understood it correctly that this Ground Loop Isolator Hum Noise Filter for IPOD MP3 NEW | eBay will also function as a "Signal Trafo" ie. Will it raise the input gain when using a newer ipod?
And whould you recommend a homemade Stepped attenuator over a trafo?

Thank you all, especially Saturnus, this thread is amazing!
Yes, it will have a slight gain of 1.3dB.

Stepped attetunator instead of a trafo, across the trafo, or before or after the trafo? I assume it's one of the last 2 options as it won't work instead of the trafo nor will it work across the trafo. I suggest it place after the trafo where it would normally be placed in the input.

Oh, and no worries. Happy to help. Also means more free beer for me
Old 9th April 2011, 12:44 PM   #1034
rubennn is offline rubennn  Denmark
diyAudio Member

One of my friends asked me today if I could build a similar boominator for him just with 2 speakers instead. At first I was like "Saturnus says it's important that it's bi-polar" but then I thought of the idea of only having one side of the boominator with 1 speaker on each channel and thus running in 8 ohm. The speakers will then be mounted in the same way with magnets against each other and still have the same cabinet - there will just only be one cabinet instead of two.

Is this possible while still getting some of the benefits from the boominator theory and design? The reason he asked is because him and his camp are on a tighter budget and this would then be a cheaper solution.

Thanks Saturnus (btw I soon owe you pretty much in "beer currency")
Old 9th April 2011, 12:47 PM   #1035
diyAudio Member

Quote:
One of my friends asked me today if I could build a similar boominator for him just with 2 speakers instead. At first I was like "Saturnus says it's important that it's bi-polar" but then I thought of the idea of only having one side of the boominator with 1 speaker on each channel and thus running in 8 ohm. The speakers will then be mounted in the same way with magnets against each other and still have the same cabinet - there will just only be one cabinet instead of two.

Is this possible while still getting some of the benefits from the boominator theory and design? The reason he asked is because him and his camp are on a tighter budget and this would then be a cheaper solution.

The first problem is that i'm not sure the amp6b would run 8 ohm very well, atleast not very load. Remember, when you parallel the two 8 ohm the amp6 sees it at 4 ohm and the speakers play almost twice as load. You could try to hunt down the hp10w in the 4 ohm versions?
Old 9th April 2011, 12:57 PM   #1036
diyAudio Member

Quote:

The first problem is that i'm not sure the amp6b would run 8 ohm very well, atleast not very load. Remember, when you parallel the two 8 ohm the amp6 sees it at 4 ohm and the speakers play almost twice as load. You could try to hunt down the hp10w in the 4 ohm versions?
Old 9th April 2011, 01:40 PM   #1037
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielClark91 View Post
It's only possible to get the 4 ohms version in Australia (of all places).

It will only be half as loud (-6dB) with 8 ohms, on the other hand it will also use only half the power.

But yes, if you're on a tight budget and want to build something similar, it's my advice that you just build one end of the Boominator with the magnet-to-magnet construction intact. Then next year they could build the other half.
Old 12th April 2011, 08:46 AM   #1038
diyAudio Member

Hello, I'm building a Boombox for Roskilde Festival 2011. I was thinking of using a AMP9-Basic amp, but...

I have tried to solder like once or twice. Do you think that i can build the amp? There's no AMP9 assembled in stock on 41hz.com
Old 12th April 2011, 11:02 AM   #1039
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joak0068 View Post
Hello, I'm building a Boombox for Roskilde Festival 2011. I was thinking of using a AMP9-Basic amp, but...

I have tried to solder like once or twice. Do you think that i can build the amp? There's no AMP9 assembled in stock on 41hz.com
The amp9b is not a beginners project, I'm afraid. You could ask on the 41hz forum if there's anyone willing to assemble one for you.
Old 12th April 2011, 01:40 PM   #1040
diyAudio Member

HI
My friends and i are building a boominator for roskilde festival 2011 but neither of us have tried it before. before i start placing orders at various websites i want to find if it would work if i hook 4 Goldwood GW-1058(Goldwood GW-1058: 10" 200W "Huntington Series” Woofer, Discount Prices on Goldwood GW-1058: 10" 200W "Huntington Series” Woofer) to an AMP-6, or have i misunderstood the last 104 pages???

i hope you can help me

Hide this!Advertise here!